North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

Official NCFTE Works Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 02:02 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all, just got back from overseas and I'm really itching to make some good progress on my 2WD 78 F150 this summer. Within hours of landing in the states, I was already under Uncle Jesse finishing the installation of my new brake lines, just need to bleed them and I should be able to stop again. Things on the agenda include flushing / checking / possibly replacing radiator, fixing heating system controls and checking related systems, and finally the engine.

So here's the deal with the engine: It's the original 400M, needs a new intake manifold as it's leaking exhaust through a port, and it appears to be leaking oil possibly from the head gasket. The truck runs and drives, actually sounds pretty good, no knocks or pings. Trying to make a plan how to proceed so that I'll end up with a reliable truck to haul stuff in the bed and to tow a boat. I have little experience working on cars/trucks compared to most of you fellas, but I'm learning. Thinking about procuring an old motor and rebuilding as much for the learning process as having a reliable power source. Not looking for a hot rod or anything crazy, but I'd love to hear what y'all think about what to put together for my intended uses, ie 4bbl carb, fuel injection, headers, change mounts and put a 390FE in there, etc. I'm not above offering beer and grilled food for anybody who offers to come down and help this summer too, lord knows I can use all the help I can get, LOL.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:13 PM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Dustin I think I remember you had just gotten those tires right before we met up for BBQ at that place in Chapel Hill. Hard to believe it's been a year already.

Josh I am about to start building a deck for my son so there will be several trips to the lumber yard in the near future

Old 03-19-2018, 02:24 PM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
Quest4Reds did you come to one of our dinners, maybe the one in Angier at the Texas BBQ place? I don't have your name in my phone where I keep my NCFTE "handle" cheat sheet, but I feel like we met.

The 400 is a torque monster. Doesn't have the "gee whiz that's cool" factor of a 390 or a 460 but it will surely get the job done. Pretty uncommon for it to leak oil at the cylinder head, more likely the valve cover, or like you said around the intake manifold. Both of those jobs aren't too difficult. But you said leaking exhaust through a port, I am not sure how that would end up on the intake side except for that exhaust crossover that they dreamed up during the smog era. That's the EGR thing behind the carburetor, might be easy enough to block it off. I know I had a 302 motor with the same setup and I cut out of a piece of steel to fit and bolted it down. Not because of a leak but just because I didn't want or need the exhaust gas coming back into the intake.

Oh one more thing I want to warn you about, as far as buying a 390 to build up. First off I will say I love a 390 and would be happy to put one in MY truck, but be aware of the old Ford saying "every 360 becomes a 390 on sale day". Nearly impossible to tell them apart, but look at the number of 390's for sale vs 360's and realize that 360's were way more common. And it probably won't be a devious seller either, the person selling it will probably have always been told it was a 390 as well!

Old 03-19-2018, 03:03 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
Cracker, I haven't been to a dinner since early last year. I think we met at James' place when we did it there, I had my two boys with me if that helps. I'm hoping to make it out to the next group meal if possible.

As for the 390, to be honest I'd rather stick with a direct swap so I'm not changing too much. Only reason I'm not just pulling my motor to rebuild is because of my limited room to work. Leaving it in will allow me to move the truck around if need be while I work on another motor in my small one-car garage. I think at one point I heard the 390 was just a better motor, but I really have no clue.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:43 PM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Benztechnc

​​​​​​​22k in a year is no joke. I think they average most drivers at 12K a year. How are you liking the tires?
Well worth the money, i like em. ive got an appointment at pepboys to make use of the lifetime alignment I bought when Wesley was there.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:40 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Me personally I'd rather have a 400 (No M behind 400 btw, only 351m) than a 390, FE stands for ****ing exspensive. If I was gonna do a swap it would be a 460 if anything.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:48 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
Josh, here is another picture after I put the front end back together.

I got the brakes hooked up after moving it.

As of right now the to do list is:

Fill/bleed brakes
Finish bolting cage in
Install my new MSD coil
Install new master kill switch
Install hood pins
Tiddy up wiring
Oil change
New air filter

Then we should be ready to get it dirty, and try out my winter upgrades.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:13 AM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
Snagged myself a toolbox off craigslist yesterday. When I let the tailgate down to put the toolbox in, the owners dog hopped right up in there, thinking she was going for a ride!

Old 03-20-2018, 09:04 AM
ncheavymetal
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truck looks great Larry.

Nice score John.

22k in a year is a lot of driving Dustin. Glad you're getting good wear.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:41 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,108 Likes on 1,796 Posts
Quest4reds, That exh leak in the intake check the EGR plate. There is a spacer type thing between intake & carb and has a valve with vacuum hose on it.
It maybe made of alum. and if so they would burn a hole thru them and do what you have......an exh leak and run like crap.
As said you can block off that port with a tin can or better yet pick up a spacer to fit in it's place.

That oil leak, degrease the motor so you can see just where it is coming from. Most of the time it is a valve cover, next would be the intake end seals.

I would not do a 390 FE swap I would stick with the 400. What you said about picking one up is good.
Check out CL and on here in the "for sale" area to see if someone is unloading one cheap that needs a rebuild.
The more complete the better. Also there are a few books on rebuilding Ford motors pick one or 2 up so you have something to go by when building your motor.

IIRC from the get together at Jims you were in the armed forces right? That was the only one I have been able to make, work hours during the week make it too hard.
Dave ----

Old 03-20-2018, 05:34 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
Dave you have a good memory, I am the military guy. I'll start working to see if I can isolate the oil leak. The leak from the intake manifold I've got figured, Bob helped me identify it and I did a whole thread on here about it.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:36 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,108 Likes on 1,796 Posts
Good to hear you got 1 of the issues figured out.
Once clean you should be able to pinpoint the oil leak.

A few day ago I got home early from work looked into bleeding the brakes on the project by myself, it did not happen LOL
I could not find the bleeder tool from the move down here. Found out my son has it up in CT so he is sending it down, stay tune!

I did find a leak. 1 of the new caliper hoses leaking at the caliper. 1 of the copper washers was too thin and the hose end would bottom on the caliper housing and not getting tight.
I took a washer off 1 of the old caliper and it stopped leaking.
I did leave the bleeders open hopping they gravity bleed till I get the bleeder tool.
Dave ----

Old 03-21-2018, 07:03 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
Well tonight I made a impulse buy for a future project that I didn't know about until I found the ad...

picked up a King pin 60, and a sterling 10.25 tonight... Ol blue has 1 tons in its future in a couple years.

Couldn't pass them up for $250...

Old 03-23-2018, 09:30 AM
Ug666
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@Cracker289

I'm interested in how you've mounted that swing-out lift you have in the bed.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...df2c5efcce.jpg

Bed chopped and mounted on the chassis?
Custom mounting plate attached to chassis?
Looks low, is this a stowage/travel position?

Old 03-23-2018, 11:15 AM
quest4reds
Senior User
Hey all, this may be a weird question but here goes. I'm looking for an engine to rebuild, mostly as a learning experience, but also to replace my 400 in my 78 F150. So how much would y'all expect to pay for a 6.6L 400 block or motor to rebuild from a junkyard or craigslist?

Quick Reply: Official NCFTE Works Thread