North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

Official NCFTE Works Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 01:55 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by MAKO314

haha. No. It’s a mechanical motor with no ebpv or waste gate. It builds 65-70 psi boost with the pump set at 2200 rpm and about 600hp. It has gauges for about everything else though.
darn... was pondering putting one in as another indicator for if/when the turbo does it again... but no idea what a good reference of back pressure would be on the diesels... figured the commercial ones would be higher... to give me a good idea what to look for..

perty buttons and switches there...

Old 03-04-2019, 02:53 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get on the 99-03 7.3 forums and look about. There’s a lot of talk about the exhaust back pressure. There’s also a damn diesel nerd on there by the name of “Tugly” that definitely answer any question you have. Look him up or his post, he seriously knows his stuff

Old 03-04-2019, 03:06 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
the later 6.0's monitor it but the early ones they shut the sensor monitoring off... ironically i need to still have the sensor there despite it does nothing...

Old 03-04-2019, 03:12 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Sparky83
the later 6.0's monitor it but the early ones they shut the sensor monitoring off... ironically i need to still have the sensor there despite it does nothing...
yeah my 7.3 has a ebp sensor and it is monitored by the pcm to help with fueling I guess. I know it can be deleted and a lot of the 7.3 guys do it. With the VGT on your 6.0, I don’t know if it can be deleted or not. By its nature I’m sure it has something to do with the VGT position at various throttle positions.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:29 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally done with the bathroom rebuild/remodel. Now time to play with trucks again.

The 96 should hopefully only need fresh gas a oil change and air tires up.

Ol' blue is going to be a different story... getting ready to strip it down for some repairs, and prep it for a new stronger heart beat....

Old 03-04-2019, 07:44 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend

yeah my 7.3 has a ebp sensor and it is monitored by the pcm to help with fueling I guess. I know it can be deleted and a lot of the 7.3 guys do it. With the VGT on your 6.0, I don’t know if it can be deleted or not. By its nature I’m sure it has something to do with the VGT position at various throttle positions.
i could technically do it and just put a bolt in the hole... but i replaced the sensor once just to give the plug something to sit in and stay clean... 03/04's ford turned off the monitoring for it... 05+ 6.0's its active... but the aftermarket tunes have a tendency to turn it off as well.. so its not really needed on them... but the problem i ran into in VA was "HEY!!! there was supposed to be a sensor here.... you fail your inspection".... despite it did nothing... its alot like the TPS (throttle position sensor) and TPM (Throttle Plate Motor - fly by wire.. a few 6.0's had a butterfly plate most didnt)... have plugs for both and instead of making them read/do something the they just plugged them into empty sockets and disabled them in the computer... some of the later 6.0's had prob with TPS randomly turning back on for no reason and causing throttle issues...

Old 03-04-2019, 08:04 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
i could technically do it and just put a bolt in the hole... but i replaced the sensor once just to give the plug something to sit in and stay clean... 03/04's ford turned off the monitoring for it... 05+ 6.0's its active... but the aftermarket tunes have a tendency to turn it off as well.. so its not really needed on them... but the problem i ran into in VA was "HEY!!! there was supposed to be a sensor here.... you fail your inspection".... despite it did nothing... its alot like the TPS (throttle position sensor) and TPM (Throttle Plate Motor - fly by wire.. a few 6.0's had a butterfly plate most didnt)... have plugs for both and instead of making them read/do something the they just plugged them into empty sockets and disabled them in the computer... some of the later 6.0's had prob with TPS randomly turning back on for no reason and causing throttle issues...
damn. Man you’re making me appreciate my old Smokey, stinky 7.3 more and more. I don’t have those issues plus I got “a guy” that inspects my stuff for me. I’ve heard VA is about as stupid as Cali when it comes to inspections.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:43 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
damn. Man you’re making me appreciate my old Smokey, stinky 7.3 more and more. I don’t have those issues plus I got “a guy” that inspects my stuff for me. I’ve heard VA is about as stupid as Cali when it comes to inspections.
they are... use to perform them lol.. I loved when id take my mustang in and theyd try telling me i needed "brakes" or "Tie rods" on a vehicle that only has 58K miles on it lol.. the one time i had just replaced the brakes because i had the caliper freeze up and drag on me doing 70 on the highway and had to limp it home... you could feel the heat coming off that rotor when i got home... boiled the brake fluid to the point it was black as tar.. (for something with a boiling point of 550*F that got hot... )

love the tie rod one... "its all sloppy and loose..." no its not...

Old 03-05-2019, 08:01 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 853 Likes on 771 Posts
That's one reason I keep my NY Inspection License just in case ....Of course it does help that I have a son in the business In NY the Emissions check is only in certain areas, like NYC. They were going to expand it State wide but $$ and finding out that the OBD2 check (required of 96 and newer vehicles) works so well the sniffer test is not needed.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:07 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by GLR
That's one reason I keep my NY Inspection License just in case ....Of course it does help that I have a son in the business In NY the Emissions check is only in certain areas, like NYC. They were going to expand it State wide but $$ and finding out that the OBD2 check (required of 96 and newer vehicles) works so well the sniffer test is not needed.
virginia is the same way... some counties require emissions... others dont... same way here... if i take it to "town" they require it to be emission tested... i take it to the shop just down the county road from the house and no emissions... lol

Old 03-05-2019, 11:02 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
virginia is the same way... some counties require emissions... others dont... same way here... if i take it to "town" they require it to be emission tested... i take it to the shop just down the county road from the house and no emissions... lol
Should be by county where it is registered. If it's registered in a county that has emissions, it has to have emissions. The only emissions we do now is OBD2, used to do the sniffer, but emissions only goes back 10 or 20 years or something. After that, and with diesels (at least it used to be) they get a safety inspection, which is a basic visual check of systems, and includes a tamper check, which again, is visual to verify all emission components are in place from when the vehicle was built. 35 and older are exempt.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:22 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Benztechnc
Should be by county where it is registered. If it's registered in a county that has emissions, it has to have emissions. The only emissions we do now is OBD2, used to do the sniffer, but emissions only goes back 10 or 20 years or something. After that, and with diesels (at least it used to be) they get a safety inspection, which is a basic visual check of systems, and includes a tamper check, which again, is visual to verify all emission components are in place from when the vehicle was built. 35 and older are exempt.
couldnt say for sure... just was what dad said when he was asking around about the inspections...

Old 03-05-2019, 10:19 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend

Got my new exhaust manifolds for the truck. Cleaned off the preserver and got them primed. Tomorrow ill work on getting them painted with the color.

I like theyre both pretapped for the EGT probes.

Exhaust ports are even ported to match the heads.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:35 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
Yup NC emissions is done by whatever county it is registered in now, Carteret just did away with that **** thank God.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:39 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
This weekend I plan to work on the mud trucks a little aslong as the weather corporates with me. I want to get Mrs. Blue race ready, and maybe start pulling Ol'Blue apart.

I'm ready for some more of this action.

Quick Reply: Official NCFTE Works Thread