North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

Official NCFTE Works Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 11:59 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by FordTruckfan89
I realized how bad that steering box is in my truck after the car show, it's getting swapped out asap. Picked up a Bluetooth obd 2 adapter/ scanner that works with your phone, it's pretty neat. Mpg is a little off, I think that's instantaneous.
it is... SGII does the same... i like when i start to go downhill and let off the pedal it goes to 9999 on the MPG lol

Old 04-01-2019, 03:34 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Got the gauges in finally... but when i tried to see if theyd light i ran into 2 problems... 1 a nearly nearly NEARLY dead battery.... (like lights barely lighting on the dash kinda dead).. put the charger on it still no gauge lighting on the new ones...

10 mins of trouble shooting later can you see the problem???

felt like a dummy when i finally found it...

also got the last of the intake in... like the new box i built??

Old 04-01-2019, 07:27 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Took the big truck out of the neighborhood. For those of you that don't know. My little neighborhood is right of a 4 lane - 55 mph road. So there is no easing into it. I like to step up my test drives normally. You know, around the block, then a couple more blocks then finally a quiet highway. But there is always traffic on 401. Anyway, filled up the front tank, and got by the auto parts store. They don't stock Rotella any more. So grabbed some oil, house brand, and a filter. Coolant and a big thing of brake fluid. So the main take away from the trip. The death wobble isn't fixed. There is still something going on in that front end, once it starts, you are gonna stop, there ain't no doubt about it. There seems to be a brake dragging, I suspect one of the rear drums, and the speedo jumps right up to 65 mph.. oh and the alternator is barely charging. Doesn't help that it has a weak battery as well. So lots to do before the April Trip, if it's going to go.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:47 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Benztechnc
Took the big truck out of the neighborhood. For those of you that don't know. My little neighborhood is right of a 4 lane - 55 mph road. So there is no easing into it. I like to step up my test drives normally. You know, around the block, then a couple more blocks then finally a quiet highway. But there is always traffic on 401. Anyway, filled up the front tank, and got by the auto parts store. They don't stock Rotella any more. So grabbed some oil, house brand, and a filter. Coolant and a big thing of brake fluid. So the main take away from the trip. The death wobble isn't fixed. There is still something going on in that front end, once it starts, you are gonna stop, there ain't no doubt about it. There seems to be a brake dragging, I suspect one of the rear drums, and the speedo jumps right up to 65 mph.. oh and the alternator is barely charging. Doesn't help that it has a weak battery as well. So lots to do before the April Trip, if it's going to go.
TSC has rotella on sale right now... 2.5 gal for 34.99 or you can get the 1 gal for 14.99.. its the T4 stuff.. (what use to be their Rotella Triple protect)

Old 04-01-2019, 11:16 PM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile

Josh I just buy rotella at wally world.
Sparky is that one of them fancy new circuits that can jump from one terminal to the other?

Old 04-01-2019, 11:23 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Cracker289
Josh I just buy rotella at wally world.
Sparky is that one of them fancy new circuits that can jump from one terminal to the other?
I wish lol... woulda made trouble shooting easier.. id used the circuit before so it was puzzling me to no end why it wasnt working now... felt like a dum dum after i found out why... but that wasnt the end of my troubles... the tuner didnt want to tune the truck... apparently when i updated the tuner last month SCT messed up their updates and was why it wouldnt flash the truck... so had to update it again... but in the process of trying to do that the computer i had the software on BSOD's in the process of updating the software on the computer... now it wont turn back on and cant figure out why... hopefully my brother can figure it out... (hes more a wiz at that computer junk... where i got the car knowlege..) had to load the software on dads laptop to update the tuner and then it finally connected to the truck to tune it...

Old 04-02-2019, 05:17 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We're looking at the same kind of thing at Catherines house. Right now she has a detached garage, that I plan on moving into as a workshop. However, she uses it as an art studio (and junk storage) so in order to get that as a workshop, I either have to but her a new studio, or depending on the cost, I might just buy a workshop. If it's about the same either way then it'll be a workshop so I can get the 12 foot ceilings, and have a lift installed. Which will put me one step closer to my midnight auto repair business that I've been wanting.
Mind if I ask roughly how much that is setting you back. Just trying to get an idea on what this is all going to cost. The advertisements I see are always with out concrete or monthly payments. I'd rather just do it with cash, if I can.
I'm paying cash, 20x30 8' walls 10x8 rollup 36x80 walk in, and I upgraded to there 145mph wind certification which is more anchors, 4" center for screws instead of 6". I'm just shy of $5000 without concrete. I'm doing the concrete myself which should be right at 9 yards, $1300ish. Most of the quotes I got were from $4900-$5500 without concrete.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:31 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
I had a 12x20 pad already from a old building I had town down, it was still covered in pine straw/dirt. So I was going to clean it up and add to it. Upon cleaning it up I realized just liked everything else the previous owner ****ed it up also.... big dips and gouges then the back corner dipped off 1.5". So yesterday I called around and got a mini excavator, ripped the concrete pad up and got a little carried away prepping the area for more concrete while I had it instead of doing it manually.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:06 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 77mud
I'm paying cash, 20x30 8' walls 10x8 rollup 36x80 walk in, and I upgraded to there 145mph wind certification which is more anchors, 4" center for screws instead of 6". I'm just shy of $5000 without concrete. I'm doing the concrete myself which should be right at 9 yards, $1300ish. Most of the quotes I got were from $4900-$5500 without concrete.
Thanks Larry, that's about what we're finding here. In the 5 k range, with out concrete. Lucky thing, her father is currently driving for a concrete company, so may get a bit of a deal on that. We shall see. First thing that's going to happen is to clean up behind the current building, and then have a pad put in there. There was a lean to behind the current building, and we want that back. Might even stud it and wall it in, electricity is right there, so it would take much to wire it as well. Then that'll be a place for the mower and such to get it out of the garage. (oh and maybe my compressor... shhhh)

Pulled the Jeep in to the shop. Was thinking the wonky steering on that was caused by the upper control arms. However, the upper control arm bushings are built into the axle, not the control arms like I was thinking. So the set I have laying around from a previous jeep project aren't going to fix it. The bushings are pretty well eaten up, so i guess since I have it apart I'll go ahead and replace them. However, I found the after market adjustable track bar jam nut was loose. So suspect that was more of an issue than anything else. i'll run through it and maybe check if for dog tracking. i'll have to check with Wes to see if he has a 4 way alignment rack, or just 2. If it's 4, then he should be able to get the front axle back up under the jeep fairly straight. If not, may have to find someone else that can do it. Now it's off to order bushings and try to see if I can get that thing going before next weekend. Also going to get an alternator for the one ton. A few other goodies are in order as well.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:07 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 853 Likes on 771 Posts
RE: Concrete pad. If going to use a 2 post above ground lift, check specs for thickness of concrete required. Most are 8" min.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:40 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've ordered a new Carter fuel pump for Ka'bluey this evening, and snagged a new battery for him today.
I'm still hoping to get the tires mounted, inspected, and back on the road this month., but we're also trying to fish the flooring this month too.
Too much month at the end of the money.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:47 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The dash that I stripped is primed, and almost buttoned up.
Once I get him in the driveway. I think we're going to sand and primed the inside and work our way out

Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2019, 08:57 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
im sorry officer i didnt know how fast i was actually going as you can see by my dash sir.... lol

Old 04-03-2019, 10:12 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
Thanks Larry, that's about what we're finding here. In the 5 k range, with out concrete. Lucky thing, her father is currently driving for a concrete company, so may get a bit of a deal on that. We shall see. First thing that's going to happen is to clean up behind the current building, and then have a pad put in there. There was a lean to behind the current building, and we want that back. Might even stud it and wall it in, electricity is right there, so it would take much to wire it as well. Then that'll be a place for the mower and such to get it out of the garage. (oh and maybe my compressor...
I have a 10x20 building already, so that will be storage/lawnmower and so on. The 20x30 will strictly be a garage for me to work on cars/trucks. Growing up we were always outside, on the dirt. Then when I bought the place we are at now we have a concrete driveway, carport, and the 10x20 all connected by concrete. So my tool box is all in it, but it's not big enough to work out of, so I've still been outside, but atleast had concrete lol. In other words this I'll be a huge step up for me.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:17 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by GLR
RE: Concrete pad. If going to use a 2 post above ground lift, check specs for thickness of concrete required. Most are 8" min.
When I was looking at lifts I looked at a 8k and a 10k. The 8k called for 2 squares 6" thick with rebar, and the 10k was 8" thick with rebar. Think they said squares needed to be like 4x4 maybe.

I decided against the 2 post for now... decided a 20x30 with only 1 door I really didn't ant to eat up that much space with a lift. Eventually I plan to go beside it and put in one of those Rv carports that are 12' wide, and 12' tall then enclosing that.

Quick Reply: Official NCFTE Works Thread