North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

Official NCFTE Works Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 06:27 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by quest4reds
Got my truck running and driving for the first time today!!! Motor sounds good, transmission seems good, and the lights even work! I haven't been able to stop grinning for the last 5 hours!
Good deal Matt
Maybe I'll get off of my butt and do something to Ka'Bluey. My last month have been nothing but fighting with insurance and replacing a totaled out truck.

Unk Bob

Old 08-08-2016, 08:04 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got seat and carpet removed today, I have some work to do on the floors, but it could be a lot worse.

Cleaned out and reorganized my garage so I can actually fit my truck in there, it takes about 3lbs of butter, but she fits. I won't be storing her in there unless absolutely necessary, garage was designed for a lawnmower or motorcycle, perhaps a smart car, but not a truck that's for sure, but at least enough to put front or back end in to work on it in the rain if need be.

Tomorrow I'm going to try lowering the old fuel tank and removing fuel lines in preparation for replacement before I go off to my 12 hour night shift.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:22 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Got seat and carpet removed today, I have some work to do on the floors, but it could be a lot worse.

Cleaned out and reorganized my garage so I can actually fit my truck in there, it takes about 3lbs of butter, but she fits. I won't be storing her in there unless absolutely necessary, garage was designed for a lawnmower or motorcycle, perhaps a smart car, but not a truck that's for sure, but at least enough to put front or back end in to work on it in the rain if need be.

Tomorrow I'm going to try lowering the old fuel tank and removing fuel lines in preparation for replacement before I go off to my 12 hour night shift.

Sounds like your going at it pretty good. I haven't done anything to Ka'Bluey in weeks. Other than swap batteries around from truck to truck. Maybe we can get together sometime and play with trucks

Old 08-09-2016, 07:52 AM
quest4reds
Senior User
Originally Posted by ubereal2
Sounds like your going at it pretty good. I haven't done anything to Ka'Bluey in weeks. Other than swap batteries around from truck to truck. Maybe we can get together sometime and play with trucks
Sounds great. I need some knowledge adjusting the carb correctly, the videos I watched said make it "sound right to me", HA, if I knew what it was supposed to sound like, I probably wouldn't need to watch a video on how to tune it. Pretty sure when this one fired up the other day it was the first time I ever heard a 6.6L 400 CID motor run.

As far as going at it, I think my lack of knowledge leads to me wanting to get stuff done, to do something to it, for it, get parts, what have you. Will most likely lead to me doing something foolish, paying way too much for a part, buying new when I should have searched a junkyard, removing something I shouldn't have, it'll catch up to me, but for now I'm having fun working on it.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:25 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Sounds great. I need some knowledge adjusting the carb correctly, the videos I watched said make it "sound right to me", HA, if I knew what it was supposed to sound like, I probably wouldn't need to watch a video on how to tune it. Pretty sure when this one fired up the other day it was the first time I ever heard a 6.6L 400 CID motor run.

As far as going at it, I think my lack of knowledge leads to me wanting to get stuff done, to do something to it, for it, get parts, what have you. Will most likely lead to me doing something foolish, paying way too much for a part, buying new when I should have searched a junkyard, removing something I shouldn't have, it'll catch up to me, but for now I'm having fun working on it.
That's the key. As long as these old trucks are fun, that's what matters. It's when it stops being fun that you have to worry, or buy another one! Anyway, I usually make it down to Raeford every other month or so, to work on something or just relax.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:21 AM
quest4reds
Senior User
Work, relax, repeat

Originally Posted by Benztechnc
That's the key. As long as these old trucks are fun, that's what matters. It's when it stops being fun that you have to worry, or buy another one! Anyway, I usually make it down to Raeford every other month or so, to work on something or just relax.

Well you can do both at my place. I have a truck that need a lot of work, and a 14' pool for relaxing. Even have a fridge to keep beverages cold

Old 08-09-2016, 01:23 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Well you can do both at my place. I have a truck that need a lot of work, and a 14' pool for relaxing. Even have a fridge to keep beverages cold
Sounds like an invite to me and I'm sure we can all think of something cold to drink.
I say we crash that pool before it's too cool to want to play in the water

Old 08-09-2016, 03:21 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
Work meet and greet

Originally Posted by ubereal2
Sounds like an invite to me and I'm sure we can all think of something cold to drink.
I say we crash that pool before it's too cool to want to play in the water
Heck yeah, y'all can come down this weekend if you want, just not this Saturday, I got this mud bog race and monthly dinner I'm going to.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:07 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Heck yeah, y'all can come down this weekend if you want, just not this Saturday, I got this mud bog race and monthly dinner I'm going to.
We may have to work on that!
I'm hoping to make it to the mud show this weekend. Wife has started making plans for a BBQ (that I'm normally good for doing) but I'm wanting to play if we can all get together.

Unk Bob

Old 08-13-2016, 08:55 PM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Changed the oil this morning in the idi, been noticing an erratic aftermarket oil pressure gauge, bounces a lot, it's an electric isspro. Bugs me every time I drive it.
Also had a brake screeching noise come up yesterday, pulled the drum and found the self adjuster hook sheared off, and was laying in the bottom of the drum. Thankfully no damage.

Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2016, 09:50 PM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Nice save on the rear drum, Dustin...
My Auto Meter oil gauge is steady but it's mechanical.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:36 PM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy1626
Nice save on the rear drum, Dustin...
My Auto Meter oil gauge is steady but it's mechanical.
It's either a bad ground or the sender went bad. 6 months old, can't see the sender being wore out. Ford used the same canister style on pre 87 trucks, so I can't see the vibration being too hard on them. heard too many stories of mechanical oil gauge lines blowing to buy one, but I'm sure it's in a lot of how the install is done.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:58 AM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
I've got copper line on mine with sound deadening mat from the turbo to firewall to absorb vibration. Inside the truck it has split wire loom protecting it. No guarantee but I'm happy with it.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:29 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Still getting the new truck where I want it to be.
Exhaust, pin stripe, and vent shades last week.
This morning my son Tim and I were able to get the new stainless steel running boards on there. I need to wipe the hand prints off of them, and a coat of wax on there to help the finish stay nice. But that will happen after the temps come down a bit.
Y'all stay hydrated

Unk Bob

Attached Images   
Old 08-14-2016, 03:00 PM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Lookin good, Bob...

Quick Reply: Official NCFTE Works Thread