Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 02:00 PM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
I've had excellent results by pouring in a medium size box of TSP in the tank, filling it half way and then driving it. I usually wait to do it when I am leaving on a camping trip. Saves gas and all I do is dump when I set up at the site. I do it once a year.
BTW, a GOPRO on a stick with a small LED light fits right down the toilet for inspection.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:49 PM
copsey
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by housedad
I've had excellent results by pouring in a medium size box of TSP in the tank, filling it half way and then driving it. I usually wait to do it when I am leaving on a camping trip. Saves gas and all I do is dump when I set up at the site. I do it once a year.
BTW, a GOPRO on a stick with a small LED light fits right down the toilet for inspection.
The GoPro is a great idea, also have a borescope I can take home from work that may be okay too.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:21 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts

Left a mark

The whole crowd

Highest point in MO

Buffalo pheasant dip

Campsite

Old 08-25-2018, 07:34 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Mark, we are looking to add a good screen room to our camping gear, how do you like yours and what is it, looks pretty roomy.
Thats a big group, visiting family in MO or did you have a few campers along with?

Old 08-25-2018, 08:35 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Mark, we are looking to add a good screen room to our camping gear, how do you like yours and what is it, looks pretty roomy.
Thats a big group, visiting family in MO or did you have a few campers along with?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KJNLYFS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KJNLYFS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well to identify the participants:

L to R

Son, nephew, daughter-in-law, younger brother, son-in-law, daughter, another nephew, mecdac, dacmec, my sister-in-law was taking the picture.

Daughter - Professor at some University In OK named Sooners ... we tried to find an equidistant locale for a camping trip and we ended up in SEMO.

Sorry, no family that we claim in SEMO.

Beautiful place but how do you get there?
Oh, that's right you need an Excursion.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:05 AM
Splash67
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
I had an Equalizer for several years before this current trailer. Thought it was a good hitch.
Originally Posted by IMASAP
I'm even more cheap...… I tow with a $225 Eaz-lift, or something like that.

Though, in my own defense..... I'm currently assembling parts for a Hensley.
Originally Posted by jasoncw
The Equal-i-zer brand hitch is a very good hitch. I used it for years on my 7,500# trailer with absolutely no issues. Once I upgraded to my current trailer, the Equal-i-zer was too small for it. I decided to go to Blue Ox, and that was a huge disappointment, which is why I forked out the cash for the ProPride.
OK, well it just seemed like everyone here is either towing with a ProPride or a Hensley and for my towing budget that just isn't in the cards.

I also wanted to ask a few questions about other peoples experiences with the equalizer, but didn't want all the answers to all be "change to the Hensley" or " change to the Propride."

I'm interested if anyone has any tips that they found for increasing the sway control of the Equalizer. I spent a good three hours adjusting the "L" brackets and the angle of the head to optimize the weight distribution, When I was done the ride and the sway is GREATLY improved, but I am curious if there is more I can do other than just optimize the weight distribution?

Old 08-29-2018, 07:22 AM
CarterKraft
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Splash67
OK, well it just seemed like everyone here is either towing with a ProPride or a Hensley and for my towing budget that just isn't in the cards.

I also wanted to ask a few questions about other peoples experiences with the equalizer, but didn't want all the answers to all be "change to the Hensley" or " change to the Propride."

I'm interested if anyone has any tips that they found for increasing the sway control of the Equalizer. I spent a good three hours adjusting the "L" brackets and the angle of the head to optimize the weight distribution, When I was done the ride and the sway is GREATLY improved, but I am curious if there is more I can do other than just optimize the weight distribution?
I think the Equalizer is a decent hitch, I bought one brand new for this trailer. The main thing with the equalizer is to get enough tension on the weight bars. With no chains/jacks etc, it can be difficult to get enough angle on the hitch head or height in the L brackets to do so.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:26 AM
Splash67
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by CarterKraft
I think the Equalizer is a decent hitch, I bought one brand new for this trailer. The main thing with the equalizer is to get enough tension on the weight bars. With no chains/jacks etc, it can be difficult to get enough angle on the hitch head or height in the L brackets to do so.
I kinda got the same feeling. So far I have had the best luck when I added more washers and lowered the "L" brackets. Right now the front end is about 1/2 inch higher with the trailer attached than it is without the trailer attached. Which has lent the best driving characteristics so far (I have about 1000 miles with these current adjustments).

Old 08-29-2018, 08:27 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts

I am in the camp that says a properly set up trailer will not need sway control 99% of the time, but when that 1% time comes you sure want it working. That starts with having enough tongue weight, more being better. It also comes from the tow vehicle being properly balanced as well with the weight distributing. Ideally, you need actual weights. Can do some guessing with measurements, but weights are much better.

Brochure weight on your trailer says you have 11% on the tongue (8735 empty, 995 tw). To me, that is bare minimum and well below optimum. With the rear bunks, the kids can throw a bunch of stuff back there and get you too tail heavy in a hurry. That alone can make for a very squirrely trailer. So any idea what your weights are loaded up? I personally think they are critical to have if you are chasing any towing issue.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:03 AM
Splash67
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
I am in the camp that says a properly set up trailer will not need sway control 99% of the time, but when that 1% time comes you sure want it working. That starts with having enough tongue weight, more being better. It also comes from the tow vehicle being properly balanced as well with the weight distributing. Ideally, you need actual weights. Can do some guessing with measurements, but weights are much better.

Brochure weight on your trailer says you have 11% on the tongue (8735 empty, 995 tw). To me, that is bare minimum and well below optimum. With the rear bunks, the kids can throw a bunch of stuff back there and get you too tail heavy in a hurry. That alone can make for a very squirrely trailer. So any idea what your weights are loaded up? I personally think they are critical to have if you are chasing any towing issue.
Unfortunately, no I don't because I don't have scales near by that I know of...I think I'll end up consulting the Google and find a set nearby. It might be eye opening to see what the weights actually are. I've spend tons of time and lots of money to make sure that the Monster is fully capable of towing the load. I know that I need to get new rear sway bushings or a new bar, but other than that and normal maintenance she's been a towing beast with every other trailer I have ever towed!

Old 08-29-2018, 11:44 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Unfortunately, no I don't because I don't have scales near by that I know of...I think I'll end up consulting the Google and find a set nearby. It might be eye opening to see what the weights actually are. I've spend tons of time and lots of money to make sure that the Monster is fully capable of towing the load. I know that I need to get new rear sway bushings or a new bar, but other than that and normal maintenance she's been a towing beast with every other trailer I have ever towed!

I totally agree with Eric, scale weights are the best way to get your rig dialed in to its best towing setup. According to the CAT Scale locator https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locat...s=4&cmdSearch= It looks like you have five scales within 14 miles of Shelbyville. It fairly cheap at $11/12 for the first weigh and only a dollar or two for each additional pass over the scales the same day. Very easy too, just be sure to get the steer, drive and trailer axles onto the correct scale platforms. Ideally you want to get a weight ticket with the EX and TT hitched and loaded as they would be for a trip and with the WD set just like you travel. Then, after you go in and pay for that weigh, get another ticket with the EX and TT but this time with the WD completely without spring bar tension, but still hitched. Pay again, then get a ticket with just the EX without the TT. From those weights you can figure out the exact amount of tongue weight, how much the WD is moving and to where, your total rolling weight and obviously each axles weight both loaded and unloaded. Adjustments are then much easier to decide on with the weights known and goals set. Post up your weights when you get them and we will be able to suggest some moves to get you more balanced.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:46 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
You are hauling a lot of trailer there, 10K and 37' is a load! That said, mine is just a little shorter and lighter and it towed fine with the E-qual-izer. Mine has a very high tongue weight for it's size, helps stability a lot. I am sure a trip to the scales will help more than you suspect.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:04 PM
housedad
Cargo Master
My tongue weight is so high that I have to counterbalance it with weight moved aft and full fresh rear water tanks. That brings it down to 1250 lbs from 1450. I use a sherline scale to verify the tongue weight before I go out each time. I'm sure glad I have it.

https://www.sherline.com/product/she...-weight-scale/

Old 08-29-2018, 01:12 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by housedad
I use a sherline scale to verify the tongue weight before I go out each time. I'm sure glad I have it.
I've had one of those saved to my wish list on Amazon for about 6 years now, LOL!

Stewart

Old 08-29-2018, 01:24 PM
housedad
Cargo Master
Going camping again Friday. Have to change my shocks and rotate the tires tomorrow. My Bilsteins are shot out from the towing and probably being too short. Going with 5100's instead of standards.

Going to spend the weekend taking it easy, cooking BBQ chicken, steaks, hot dogs and hamburgers on the fire. I get a kick every time we go out and set up a cook fire. Some people walk by and say things like "wow, you know how to cook on a fire?" or "You should not do it that way, my husband and i cooked on a fire once 15 years ago and we tried that and......etc" or even KID: " Mom, look, They are cooking on the fire. Can we do it, too?" MOM: "No, we aren't disgusting pigs. We cook in the trailer. We aren't trash

Wife and I have been cooking on open fires all our life when camping. I just get a kick out of the noobs and better than thou people. They won't do it themselves, but will pay a fortune in a restaurant.

Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!