Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Old 08-12-2018, 06:33 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by mecdac
You don't have a flush of your black tank? Doesn't the gray tank have soapy water in it to begin with?
I do and yes but the sensors are not working right probably due to gunk on them. Clear soapy water (Dawn) filled in the tank for several days will help to dislodge the debris. In the black tank a good soapy run with slosh will help to get the gunk out that is stuck in the tank.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:05 PM
thor363
Fleet Mechanic

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

Didn't know about this the first time we took our TT out, but works amazing to keep things from messing up the sensors. Just sharing what works for me.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:29 AM
karrun
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, I'll bet this has been asked before, but is there any reason to engage the tow mode on the Ex if you are running on fairly flat terrain and the Ex doesn't do much gear hunting? It seems to me that mileage would suffer in tow mode since the truck would downshift instead of coasting on downhills.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:20 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by karrun
Hey, I'll bet this has been asked before, but is there any reason to engage the tow mode on the Ex if you are running on fairly flat terrain and the Ex doesn't do much gear hunting? It seems to me that mileage would suffer in tow mode since the truck would downshift instead of coasting on downhills.
On acceleration it increases RPMs as not to lug the engine and will delay torque converter engagement. I have not seen fuel economy suffer towing in tow/haul but I have not done a comparison. When I am pulling 6000 lbs I run in normal mode, when I hit anywhere over it I use Tow/Haul. The truck really only downshifts on hills when braking, it does save the brakes from overheating.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:49 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 814 Likes on 566 Posts
Isn't your XLT a V-10? If so, it doesn't have a "Tow mode". It does have an "OD Off" button on the shifter which simply does as labeled, it turns off the OverDrive. 6.0 EXs have the improved 5R110 trans that does have a Tow/Haul mode that is pretty nifty, but the 4R100 behind our 6.8s is less sophisticated.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:53 AM
karrun
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha, i can't believe you remembered!! Yes, it is a V-10. So the button on the shifter stick isn't tow mode? I can't believe I made that mistake. What about OD? Should I use that when towing?

Old 08-13-2018, 01:44 PM
jasoncw
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I leave OD on most of the time when I tow (all of the time on flat lands). I would only turn it off if you find it hunting between 3 and OD.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:48 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 814 Likes on 566 Posts
Haha, i can't believe you remembered!! Yes, it is a V-10. So the button on the shifter stick isn't tow mode? I can't believe I made that mistake. What about OD? Should I use that when towing?
Yeah, I cant remember 3 out of 5 items on a shopping list but I can recall what engine mostly everyone here is running.
No, the button is only a simple OD Off switch, the 4R100 doesn't have the fancy (and useful) Tow/Haul mode that the later transmissions have. Our trans was designed to tow in OD and that should be your towing default gear, only in the case of the trans hunting back and forth frequently between OD and 3rd gear should the OD Off button be necessary while towing. Another scenario where the OD Off button is helpful is while descending long or steep grades, turning OD off then will help to control your speed without needing to use the brakes as much, thus keeping them from getting overly hot and reducing effectiveness. I use my OD Off switch more for going down grades than going up them.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:48 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Aaahhhhhh. ...... camping !

Steak n cheese on the Blackstone for dinner......

Old 08-13-2018, 08:10 PM
ArmyLifer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by IMASAP
Steak n cheese on the Blackstone for dinner......

Love my Blacksone. Recommended on an RV forum I frequent. I’ve got the list of fittings necessary to convert the Blackstone to camper propane if yours has a regulated low pressure outlet available.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:37 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 928 Likes on 676 Posts
Rock paining looks like fun also.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:44 AM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn that steak'n'cheese looks good.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:27 AM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Leaving in two hours for a week long camp just outside Atlantic city. Getting away from the chores for my 60th birthday which is tomorrow. A.C. Boardwalk on Saturday. Wildwood beach and boards 2 days next week. 2 afternoons at the dog beach. The extended family is coming to the camp on Sunday for a Birthday Bash. God knows I hate birthday parties, especially mine. You just KNOW they are going to slam me with all of the Old joke presents this year, too.

Sigh..... At least I'll have a fire at night.

Gotta go finish packing the trailer and hooking up.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:58 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Got back from our week in the mountains Saturday afternoon. Another successful trip despite being mostly overcast with some rain.

Stayed here.....

https://easternslopecamping.com/

We have stayed here a few times in the past. I would call the campground itself mediocre, but.... location, location, location !!

Took a nice ride on the Conway Scenic Railroad.

https://www.conwayscenic.com/

Spent an afternoon kayaking down the NH portion of the Saco River.

http://www.sacocanoerental.com/

Got to use the new Blackstone a few times. No kabob chicken kabobs .

Old 08-20-2018, 10:09 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Bought What's-Her-Name a (used) new kayak of CL yesterday since she managed to roll the Pelican 4 times in the rapids on our kayaking adventure while camping last week. I'm figuring the Old Town Vapor 10 will be more stable since they call them the 'pickup truck of kayaks'.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!