Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 12:35 PM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts
Went to check the camper to make sure it’s dealing with the winter ok and found that one of the vents has blown off in the wind, leaving a gaping hole in the roof. Not good. But, seems that it must have happened recently because there’s no water damage. Glad to have the tarp on hand to cover it up! Whew!

Old 01-07-2019, 05:34 AM
loganj01
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mecdac
Picked up the new(er) to us TT this morning.

Weight after all gear is loaded.
Nice trailer. Emerson, GA? That's not far up the road from me. My daughter does gymnastics in Cartersville.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:50 AM
loganj01
Senior User
Headed to the Keys for the week of Christmas. Took our time coming back...couple of days at Marco Beach...couple of days in St Petersburg. Ex did great and turned 8.5 mpg on one tank full when I was really being conscious about keeping my foot out of it. That's with 5 kayaks and a ladder strapped to the top pulling just over 10k of camper. Still hate the dual cam hitch and trailer still flails around like I'm pulling it with a piece of kite string when a truck passes. Noticed one of the trunnion bars was slightly bent when I unhooked at home. Not sure how that happened but I'm sure it isn't helping with sway. I think I'm going to have to get a Pro Pride. It was a great trip and I'm already looking forward to heading down to Crooked River in May as soon as the little hellions are out of school...actually we're leaving the day they're out.

Campsite at Fiesta Key RV Resort.

View from the campsite. Much better than the rain soaked puddle that used to be my front yard in GA.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:50 AM
01__Excursion
Cargo Master
Received 300 Likes on 237 Posts
Pulled a Red-Eye to Grand Rapids, MI a few days prior to New Years to fetch a new buddy for the X. I sold my 30' Class A three years ago when I decided that I didn't want the extra concerns/maint of a motor home.
This cheap little 2019 22' T/T will be just the ticket for my future "Excursions".
The Husky Center Line TS they sold me must have worked, as I never knew I was towing.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:17 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by loganj01
Headed to the Keys for the week of Christmas. Took our time coming back...couple of days at Marco Beach...couple of days in St Petersburg. Ex did great and turned 8.5 mpg on one tank full when I was really being conscious about keeping my foot out of it. That's with 5 kayaks and a ladder strapped to the top pulling just over 10k of camper. Still hate the dual cam hitch and trailer still flails around like I'm pulling it with a piece of kite string when a truck passes. Noticed one of the trunnion bars was slightly bent when I unhooked at home. Not sure how that happened but I'm sure it isn't helping with sway. I think I'm going to have to get a Pro Pride. It was a great trip and I'm already looking forward to heading down to Crooked River in May as soon as the little hellions are out of school...actually we're leaving the day they're out.

Campsite at Fiesta Key RV Resort.

View from the campsite. Much better than the rain soaked puddle that used to be my front yard in GA.
Looks like you are getting some use out of your roof rack !

Old 01-07-2019, 09:03 AM
loganj01
Senior User
That roof rack is awesome. Now I need to build a frame for it that bolts into more substantial points in the roof and get away from the factory tracks. I need it taller as well because the kayaks get in the way of opening the rear glass.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:34 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,159 Likes on 566 Posts
Some parts for winter upgrades showed up today. Wet bolt kit, just because. Went to the RV show last week and saw a lot of these sliding drawers in new units and decided I had to have one. Hate the bin system I currently have. Install should be easy, just screw it to the floor. Slides 60% either direction. All MORyde products. More pics when I get it put in tomorrow hopefully.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:48 AM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Old 01-18-2019, 06:53 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Less than it would have cost me to make it myself, I've been kicking around the homemade idea with drawer slides for a while. Then I saw these at the show, comes fully assembled as you can see in the pic.

I got mine at PPL, shipping was $100 via ltl freight, took 3 days. Also have them via the BORG for slightly more. They come in various sizes.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...-slide_05.0473

https://smile.amazon.com/MORryde-CTG...66&sr=8-1&th=1

The product page. Cargo Sliding Trays - MORryde Products

Old 01-18-2019, 05:35 PM
WE3ZS
Received 852 Likes on 589 Posts
Very nice Eric, that slide looks just like what you see in the basements of the big Class As. Looking forward to seeing it installed.
Before doing the wet bolt install double check all of the bolts, I have one that apparently wasn't drilled completely linking the two grease holes together. It's on my to-do list during the next bearing service. Otherwise that MORyde heavy duty shackle and wet bolt kit is very nice stuff.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:06 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Every now and then we'll buy a product that we are impressed with and can endorse with no worries of dissapointment. This drawer is such a product, it is sweet! Simple design made with heavy gauge materials, I doubt it will wear out in my lifetime. The manufacturers have to love it because it would install in 3 minutes on the assembly line. It takes far longer to empty the pass through than the actual installation. Just slide it in there, line it up how you want. I needed to shim it up 1/4 inch to clear the lip of the door, done with strips of leftover luan I had laying around. Shoot a handful of screws into the plywood floor of the RV. Done.

Feels very solid and glides effortlessly. I reorganized my crap from 3 bins down to one, stashed a couple rarely used items elsewhere and took out everything else that I haven't ever used since I put it in there. Room for the stove to stand on the floor in front, I feel 1000% more organized already. Still room for more as needed.

Only minuses I can see is another 100 lbs of weight and you do end up with some wasted space. If you have ever thought about a drawer system for your pass through, this is it. Buy it, you won't regret it! It is that good.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:49 PM
WE3ZS
Received 852 Likes on 589 Posts
That is really nice Eric, I would love something like that to help organize and aid in access, but my forward storage doors are different sizes with the driver's side one being kind of small-ish, that would limit the tray width too much. And I really don't need any more tongue weight! But that tray system is sweet!
I have that same little LED toggle switch light under the bed to light up that storage area, very handy.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:01 AM
CarterKraft
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Pretty jealous of that organizer. I looked at building one but my doors are 3" or so up from the floor which would eat up even more room under the slider.
I am going to do something to help but I haven't got there yet.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:13 AM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
My guys usta make slides for their work trucks using teflon bunk slides (for boat trailers). Tie down also makes slicks that work well for slides. I'll probably go with a bit more redneck engineering and go "cost effective".

Old 02-01-2019, 10:43 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts
I am working with the factory on mine, seems like the entire roof structure is sagging in the middle and is visible from the side looking down the gutter. I will post a pic later. Right now the engineers are looking at the pics to determine the next steps.

Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!