1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Odometer Blackout Problem Fixed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 02:28 AM
mikes04
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question odometer blackout

Do you know if the 04 's would be the same? I just purchased one and the light is out dealer wants 400 to fix it.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:06 PM
madsonp
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by mikes04
Do you know if the 04 's would be the same? I just purchased one and the light is out dealer wants 400 to fix it.
I'm not sure how much of an issue it was on the 04's, but I'd sure look into it before spending $400 at the stealer.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:09 PM
madsonp
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Tupperware
That method doesn't work for all years. Sometime during the 2000 model year Ford started using a snap-in switch like the one pictured below, at least on some models. You can see the notch of the pry slot just above the metal clip.

I never said it did, but that's good to know.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:26 PM
CountryFried
New User
Love this DIY thread. Just did mine a few hours ago and damn am I happy seeing my odometer stay on longer than five minute!

Here's me removing my plastic:

I went ahead and changed out the two bulbs that illuminates my heating/cooling dials:

I soldiered both top and bottom soldier joints. Top one for sure needed it and the bottom one probably needed a touch just in case:

Everything put back in place the way it was before:

And the truck:

Old 09-22-2009, 03:04 PM
icast
New User
Sign me up, I just did it a few days ago. Awesome! Things like that bother me in a big way and I was also a victim of the fan - hot/ cold lights.
For anyone that cares (I'm sure it posted but my navigation skills on this computer aren't the best) the bulbs pull out of the base and are a 161.
I also did my 4x4 switch light, non-serviceable from Ford for 70 bones (cdn). Whatever, couldn't believe it and that bulb is a 8640. I also believe that Honda's 79629-S3V-A01 has the same bulb but you may end up using your existing base. It's around 10 bucks...thanks Ford.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:10 AM
mcneil78
New User
Fixed my 2000 Expedition 2WD EDB and it has been fine for 2 months after 5 years of going off and on.

It did not have the tricky reverse **** to remove the light switch as some 2000's might have. It has a normal clip slot at the bottom to start the pulling process and 2 more at the 2 and 10 o'clock position.

Thanks for all the fantastic information on this thread!!

Old 12-10-2009, 08:27 AM
dakota_viking
Elder User
Wow! It's hard to believe I put this thread out there 5 years ago and it's still helping people today!

I'm glad I have been able to help, and I'm glad there is a site like ford-trucks that can offer fellow Ford owners a place to go for help.

Keep up the good work everybody!!!

Tim

Old 12-19-2009, 04:27 PM
DDPicker
New User
Done!! Accomplished odometer repair today on my 2001 F150 SuperCrew 2WD Lariat w/82K miles (I am original owner and want to keep it another few years). Odometer blanking problem was getting progressively worse last 3 years and was very annoying. I almost could not complete the mandatory California smog check last month needed for this years registration as the odometer blanked when the tech started the truck...fortunately it came back after I rapped dash several times. The tech was just about to tell me that I could not get the mandatory smog without the mileage.

Ok, so I used posts #1, #149, #194/195 to repair my 2001 pickup. The 2001 has the integral headlamp switch assembly with three metal clip retainers (its the entire black unit as shown per post #194/195). Pry carefully from bottom and then left and upper sides to get entire unit out about a half inch or so and then pull firmly on as much of the switch body assembly as you can grasp until unit pops out. For this type switch assembly you remove the whole switch assembly (its the black unit) without removing the rotary headlight dial as is necessary for the prior year models. Use care, stay calm, and avoid gouging the surrounding fascia panel...I left no gouges or marks what so ever.

Everything else easily disassembled and reassembled just as shown in post #149 photos.

I had the typical faulty solder joint as described in post #1 (Used a Jeweler Loupe to see it with the board illuminated in direct sunlight), and I touched up suspect solder joints on another four of the pins on the same connector since I had the board out.

Total time from start to finish was about 40 minutes!

I strongly recommend you take the time to prep by scanning the posts on this thread (it took me about 30 minutes to scan the posts and determine which headlight switch assembly I was likely to have and then print all the photos from post #149 link) and you are ready to go. Looks like the only significant variable to deal with is the variation in retention of the various headlight switch units and the appropriate removal instructions to use for each configuration...scanning the thread in advance will prep you to avoid the pitfalls and damage experienced by the early 'trail blazers' on this thread.

I send out a big 'THANK YOU' to all the contributors on this thread!!!!
drew

Last edited by DDPicker; 12-19-2009 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Additional clarification of instructions for 2001 model headlight switch assembly needed
Old 12-19-2009, 10:57 PM
cecilt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DDPicker

Ok, so I used posts #1, #149, #194/195 to repair my 2001 pickup. The 2001 has the integral headlamp switch assembly with three metal clip retainers (its the entire black unit as shown per post #194/195). Pry carefully from bottom and then left and upper sides to get entire unit out about a half inch or so and then pull firmly on as much of the switch body assembly as you can grasp until unit pops out. For this type switch assembly you remove the whole switch assembly (its the black unit) without removing the rotary headlight dial as is necessary for the prior year models. Use care, stay calm, and avoid gouging the surrounding fascia panel...I left no gouges or marks what so ever.

drew
I have the same headlamp assembly as you describe. Question, the indicators on my headlamp do not illuminate at night except for the foglights. Are their bulbs in the assembly to replace or is it soldered joints? Anyone else have a problem as this and if so how was it fixed. tks

Old 12-20-2009, 02:35 PM
fordtech08
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
awesome I just did mine took about twenty minutes, I even took the glass off and cleaned the inside( it was dusty)

Old 12-27-2009, 01:04 AM
Londart
Junior User
did the fix on a 2000 expy e/b;3-days with out any probs yet...thank you very much...although the h/l switch on mine does just pull out with spring clips,no fancy method required...maybe i didnt read far enough

Old 04-22-2010, 01:46 PM
dblm95f250
New User
speed/odometer blackout!

I reviewed this article with great interest. Thank you for this valued point of view. I discovered in my speaking with other people that the fix for me was a 15 amp fuse for the interior dome lamp. all is well! all works! Hope this helps someone. thanks again
dblm95f250

Old 06-11-2010, 08:32 AM
cvonohsen
New User
Thanks a million.

I just fixed my 2002 F150. The same pin had a cold solder joint.

I had a heck of a time getting my "pry out" light switch out. I did not realize it has three spring clips that hold it into the dash. Only one has a slot to release it, so I had to do some prying and dinged up the plastic under the switch. I believe putting some duct tape on area under the switch and prying with something flat ( not a screwdriver) would have gotten it out without the dings.

Just wish I had read this many years ago when the odometer first starting going on and off.

Thanks again.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:26 PM
bigern247
New User
Talking Great Thread

I fixed my 2001 Navigator today same bad joint as dakota but add a little to all for added security!!!!! Thanks So Much!!!!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:46 PM
BlitZ_
Senior User
Finally Fixed

Ive been snooping around here for quite some time and decided to take my dash apart and see if I had the same problem. Took me all of 30 minutes to take everything apart since ive never owned a domestic vehicle before. I got my magnifier and sure enough its the same joint eveyone else has had a problem with. I added soilder to that joint as well as all of the others to ensure that none had a cold soilder joint. On another note since I have my dash apart I may as well fix some of the spots that are chipping away which show black underneath?? I dont know what thats all about but i got the correct grey plastic paint coming from ford in CA straight to my doorstep. Thanks for all of the info on the odometer problem you save my wallet and my 10 mo old babys toy monkey habbit she loves so much Good Day all.

Quick Reply: Odometer Blackout Problem Fixed!!!