Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 revealed!

Old 03-07-2019, 11:42 AM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Alaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Scorpion67 View Post

maybe marginal increase. But the acceleration, quick response to the demand of power, and the grade shifting will be significant improvement.
I personally think the extra overdrive gears will help a good deal, but we still aren't going to see anything insane like mpg's in the teens. Some folks believe we will but they're out to lunch as far as I'm concerned.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:22 PM
WXboy
Postmaster
WXboy has a good reputation on FTE.WXboy has a good reputation on FTE.WXboy has a good reputation on FTE.
I'm very excited about Ford bringing back a big block, port injection, push rod V8. It's an encouraging sign that they are at least paying a small amount of attention to what guys want, and not necessarily what the EPA is pushing.

The 7.3L is an engine that has the potential to last a long time and be easy to repair.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:40 PM
super 6.8
Posting Guru
super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by WXboy View Post
I'm very excited about Ford bringing back a big block, port injection, push rod V8. It's an encouraging sign that they are at least paying a small amount of attention to what guys want, and not necessarily what the EPA is pushing.

The 7.3L is an engine that has the potential to last a long time and be easy to repair.
That is exactly how I feel especially if you tend to keep trucks a long time.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:57 PM
DRH.1979
New User
DRH.1979 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The 7.3 and the 10 speed should garner some increase...

Old 03-07-2019, 10:05 PM
Scorpion67
Elder User
Scorpion67 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Warbird View Post
I personally think the extra overdrive gears will help a good deal, but we still aren't going to see anything insane like mpg's in the teens. Some folks believe we will but they're out to lunch as far as I'm concerned.
I predict 12-13 average, 15-16 highway.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:08 PM
DRH.1979
New User
I'm getting 14.6 highway on my 2019 CCSB with the 6.2, 4x2 and no load. Would love to get that up to 16 mpg.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:18 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Alaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to behold
I drive a dually and seriously doubt the 7.3L will see those kinds of mpg's in a DRW.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:26 PM
Lariatdriver
Senior User
Lariatdriver is starting off with a positive reputation.
The beauty of the 10 speed tranny is the rapid gear change under full throttle. The 7.3 Performance may surprise everyone with this tranny.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:28 PM
DRH.1979
New User
Of course not, the dually is probably close to 2000lbs heavier than my truck and it's probably a diesel to boot. But if you had the 6.2l, then you probably could expect some improvement with the new 7.3l and the 10-speed.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:01 PM
someday
Posting Guru
someday is starting off with a positive reputation.
I drive a dually and seriously doubt the 7.3L will see those kinds of mpg's in a DRW.
i had a 3v 5 speed v10 cc dually 4x4 and got mpg in the teens

Old 03-08-2019, 01:14 AM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Hauling/towing? I'm impressed. I can get 12-13 mpg highway, unloaded, keeping my foot out of it. Hauling the Mammoth TC (~5,600 pounds fully loaded with family and dogs) and towing the UTV to/from Valdez (through Thompson Pass), we got 8.4 mpg. That was doing 55-60 mph most of the way but a lot of the roads were rough, full of frost heaves, so lots of slowing down and speeding up.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:52 AM
glrret
Senior User
glrret is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.glrret is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I don't see how the 7.3 Gas is going to stack up the the 6.7 Diesel when it comes to hp & torque. I think whatever fuel saving the new 7.3 and 10 speed produces will be a wash when you hit the first hill under a load compared to the 6.7 with the 10 speed.
But this discussion is making me think about waiting till Aug to order my new F550.

However I do like the idea of less emissions and no DEF.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:04 AM
George C
Senior User
George C is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.George C is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The 7.3 wonít compare to the 6.7L in useable torque and Iím not considering it. Yeah, it will show nice numbers for those who look at peak numbers, but the torque curve will be typical gas curves. Higher RPM, and nothing down low that would be in the same wheelhouse as a diesel.

El Paso.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:29 AM
Lariatdriver
Senior User
Lariatdriver is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by George C View Post
The 7.3 wonít compare to the 6.7L in useable torque and Iím not considering it. Yeah, it will show nice numbers for those who look at peak numbers, but the torque curve will be typical gas curves. Higher RPM, and nothing down low that would be in the same wheelhouse as a diesel.

El Paso.
The 7.3 may not be directly comparable but many of us donít need an expensive diesel and the negatives. Itís been years since manufacturers attempted a modern gas towing motor. Iím curious what Fords engineers bring us. I remember when Ram bragged about their 600 lb. ft TQ.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:53 AM
glrret
Senior User
glrret is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.glrret is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I wounder when we might expect real world number and comments on the performance of the 7.3 & 10 speed combo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.