Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project TGM

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:00 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah ok. I was a bit concerned about how i was going to get the pipe around there. I figured if i went under the frame it would look goofy but since i am not doing like 4-5 inch pipes it should be terrible.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:36 AM
justin Wallace
Senior User
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
Ah ok. I was a bit concerned about how i was going to get the pipe around there. I figured if i went under the frame it would look goofy but since i am not doing like 4-5 inch pipes it should be terrible.
I didn't get a chance to shoot a video of my exhaust today. It rained like hell and we had marble hail for about 45 minutes. I didn't feel like crawling around in the wet, oily mess under the bronco. I'm gonna go for attempt #2 at getting the new motor started tomorrow and I'll try to get you one then. My exhaust is 2 1/2" and it runs up and through the trans mount. I am gonna redo it as soon as I get the new axles under it. It should be in a few weeks if my wife do too much shopping.

Maybe I'll do some custom stuff and run it out through the back fenders... That would look kind of cool.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:08 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Ya that would be cool. I was told it would be best to go from the headers into my mufflers with 2 1/2 inch and i planned on exiting in 3 inch. Hope the start up goes well.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 378 Likes on 284 Posts
2.5" is plenty for dual exhuast. Thats what I had on my 78 and what I just put on the Mustang. I would look into having an H put in somewhere to smooth out the exhaust. What kind of mufflers do you plan to run? I used to run flowmasters on everything but the drone kills your head after a while. I just put Mangflows on the Mustang and it sounds great, nice rumble at idle but a roar when you step on the skinny pedal.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:50 PM
justin Wallace
Senior User
I had a Jeep with the 5.7 hemi and I went with a cherry bomb vortex. It was awesome. I got a video if you want. It was not a glasspack. Cherry bomb was sold a few years ago and they started making mufflers to compete with flowmaster. It was nice because it didn't have the drone but was super loud when you stepped on it. I forgot about those. Maybe ill go that route on mine. Like I said, I got. Couple of videos but its not a bronco.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Can't remember if I ever posted this. This is the only good vid I have of my 78 and the exhaust. Full length headers and about 12" of 2.5" pipe then a pair of Flowmaster Super 44's thats it.
007 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 04-04-2012, 09:33 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
What i planned on using was super 40s the sales manager at my old job had a GT mustang with those and no cats and it sounds pretty good. He said he used to have flowmaster 40s but the interior drone was to much. I was told the super 40s push the drone out the back or sides in my case. Currently i have dual glass pack cherry bombs. I don't mind them and i like them being the vintage choice of a lot of people but i would rather have a lower tone. I think having an exhaust leak doesn't help and using this crapola flex piping isn't much better. None of it is welded it is all strapped piping.

As for my next "project", after i get this hitch installed and i asses the money situation, i plan to do a coolant flush/ hoes replacement. My top hose is ballooning quite a lot and it seems like it is about to slip from under the hose clamps, and i don't feel safe trying to tighten it more. That will be sundays mission is pose.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:24 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
So my fellow FTE friends, i have this tach

What do you guys think about hooking this up? I know with an auto it isn't really needed but it would help with tuning. How would i go about wiring it up? I have these 4 wires that are in the back of it

I am not sure if i will even be able to use it but it would help.

Edit: It is a free one i got with my stereo wiring and subs from a friend so i am not loosing money if i can't use it.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:01 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
On that tach it should be black is a ground, red is a 12v power with ignition, white/yellow is light so wire in with dash lights, green wire goes to coil. Hope this helps I believe thats how I had my tach wired up.

All Flowmasters drone, I would rec Magnaflows if you don't want any drone but still a good sound and roar at WOT.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:49 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
It does have ground and the 12v. Then there is a green and white. So the white one would be lights then. Where would i connect the green wire on the coil? I also just discovered while looking at the mounting bracket on it, and i found a small slider switch on the back, it clicks into 3 different places so i have no idea what thats for. Maybe i should try looking up the model or something. It would be pretty nice to have a tach to see my monster RPMs while i am powering through traffic on the freeway...

As for the muffler, i wouldn't mind magnaflows but i don't know any of the types of mufflers or how they sound. I will keep my mind open though, i have to deal with my carb situation before the exhaust. It seems to be running rich or something, it backfired once on start up without giving it any gas and when i floor it from stop it floods the carb or starves it i'm not sure. It will start to sputter and i pump the gas a little and it straightens up so something isn't right.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:03 PM
justin Wallace
Senior User
Originally Posted by Edgethis
On that tach it should be black is a ground, red is a 12v power with ignition, white/yellow is light so wire in with dash lights, green wire goes to coil. Hope this helps I believe thats how I had my tach wired up.

All Flowmasters drone, I would rec Magnaflows if you don't want any drone but still a good sound and roar at WOT.
Same with mine. My coil even had an arrow on it that said "tachometer". The hookup is easy but for some reason mine goes backwards. Its probably the 4, 6, or 8 cylinder switch.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
That slider is def the 4,6,8 cyl switch. You'll now if its in the wrong spot by getting a crazy tach reading. I just slid the wire into the + side of the coil, should be the wire going to the distributor I think, not 100% on that

Old 04-05-2012, 09:19 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Oh ok, then i just tie in the 12v to a constant 12 and ground to ground? There is also a spot for a light where my after market temp gauge goes that i could use. I am assuming the bulb is inside the tach housing.

I just looked at the back side of the housing and there is a sticker above the switch labeled 468... I thought it was a serial number or something. There is 2 screws on the back i am going to pull and see if there is a way to change the bulb more for a precautionary measure.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:27 AM
justin Wallace
Senior User
The 12v doesn't need to be on a constant. Just hook it to an accessory slot. It doesn't need slower except when the key is on. The less drains you have, the better.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:11 AM
koolchange
Senior User
X2 on the Magnaflows. I have them on everything except my Brides Towncar Flowmasters on that. The drone as Edge calls it to, me is more like a disgusting rattle at speed.

Quick Reply: Project TGM