2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2020 Camera/TPMS/Backup Sensor Cable Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 12:04 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie_Lake_Conroe
I was browsing the brochure and saw trailer TPMS on all trims except the XT. I have an XT, the ultimate trailer package and 5th wheel prep. I assumed I would have trailer TPMS. Before I go aftermarket, I want to exhaust all options to have trailer tire pressure In the information display. Any XT owners have Trailer TPMS in the information display?

2020 F-350 XL DRW 4X4 CREW CAB 6.7L DIESEL AGATE BLACK
2019 Momentum 351M 5th wheel
History: 2019 F-350 Platinum SRW 4X4 Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel, 2016 GMC Denali SRW 4X4 Crew Cab, 2011 Chevy LT SRW 4X4 Ext Cab, ...., 1975 AMC Pacer
I did plug a 2017-2019 kit TPMS sensor into my truck and it prompted for setup. The menu was also there (it is there even with the sensor not plugged in). It sounds like you ether need a firmware update or the option enabled. This could be disabled based on which options you ordered from the factory.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:04 AM
NvPowerDoc
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NvPowerDoc
So after a few emails with my Ordering Manager, Ford ended-up sending him two more TPMS units based on the documentation found throughout this thread (Ordering Guide Snippets). He said though Ford might be changing / updating this back to four total units. So some of us got lucky in getting six with persistence.
Well, after a long wait and persistence, two more Trailer TPMS arrived. And when I take this picture, I realize they are missing the sleeve that keeps them mounted in the rim. Argh.

Old 05-09-2020, 12:00 PM
Charlie_Lake_Conroe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bertschb
I looked at the owner's manual and it shows this as what should be displayed for options under the towing tab:

Mine is missing "Trailer Tire Pressure". I looked at the FORscan spreadsheet and couldn't find anything that looked like this was something I could enable. My next step will be to call my Ford dealer to try to get the menu enabled. I suspect they will have no idea what I'm talking about.
Hi Bertschb - I have the same issue where the Trailer Tire pressure is not showing in my instrument display. Just got set up to use FORscan and looked at the plain english section of the IPC Module and on my truck, the TPMS - Trailer is disabled. Surely it can't be as simple as switching to enabled????

Old 05-09-2020, 07:39 PM
bertschb
Senior User
Hi Bertschb - I have the same issue where the Trailer Tire pressure is not showing in my instrument display. Just got set up to use FORscan and looked at the plain english section of the IPC Module and on my truck, the TPMS - Trailer is disabled. Surely it can't be as simple as switching to enabled????
I just installed the latest beta of Forscan and now see the TPMS - Trailer entry so I enabled it. That's the great news. The bad news? I can only get two of my sensors to work. I tried ten times. The last couple times I couldn't even get the system to recognize the first tire. So frustrating. I'm taking it to the dealer Monday.

Thank you for sharing what you found in Forscan. At least that worked good!

Old 05-12-2020, 05:56 AM
Charlie_Lake_Conroe
New User
Hi Bertschb,

I was able to confirm this plain English change worked. I hooked up to my trailer, took it around the block and the values displayed in the instrument display. I am using a 2019 harness, camera and trailer TPMS on my 2020 SD. As soon as I hooked up the trailer and 12 pin connector, the truck recognized the expected psi (110) I had set with my previous truck. Maybe that is the difference.

i did notice that the plain English forscan change to the IPC module made additional changes to the BdyCM module. I’m documenting all the changes and will send to the forscan threads.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:26 AM
bertschb
Senior User
i did notice that the plain English forscan change to the IPC module made additional changes to the BdyCM module. I’m documenting all the changes and will send to the forscan threads.
That's interesting. I didn't notice that any of the other changes I had made through Forscan previously were affected by enabling the Trailer TPMS in IPC.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:41 AM
firejp
Junior User
Thanks CFDFireman90. I was able to combine the 2019 Camera, TPMS kit harness with the 2020 yaw sensor harness.

2020 F-350 XL DRW 4X4 CREW CAB 6.7L DIESEL AGATE BLACK
2019 Momentum 351M 5th wheel
History: 2019 F-350 Platinum SRW 4X4 Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel, 2016 GMC Denali SRW 4X4 Crew Cab, 2011 Chevy LT SRW 4X4 Ext Cab, ...., 1975 AMC Pacer

i was thinking of doing the same I’m getting a smokin deal for a ´17/19 camera kit only no tpms (don’t need them anyway) I have a ´20 platinum with tow package and yaw sensor by the looks of it u just open up plug and integrate camera wire at the proper location in the plug ?

Old 05-13-2020, 01:19 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Originally Posted by firejp
i was thinking of doing the same I’m getting a smokin deal for a ´17/19 camera kit only no tpms (don’t need them anyway) I have a ´20 platinum with tow package and yaw sensor by the looks of it u just open up plug and integrate camera wire at the proper location in the plug ?
Yes, you could modify the cables yourself or have Nichols do it for you for $180.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:29 PM
Rich53
Senior User
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Doesn’t the camera kit come with its own wiring harness. If you don’t want to use the Yaw sensor then I assume you can just plug the camera harness into the 14 pin connector. I have a 20 with all three, so mine has the harness that combines all three, so it is different, but I would assume the camera comes with a harness that has the 14 pin plug on the end, even if they only use a few of the connections.

doesnthe truck have the combined 7 pin/14 pin socket.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:30 PM
firejp
Junior User
Originally Posted by CFDFireman90
I have the YAW sensor for my fifth wheel and the camera package. The truck was ordered with a Fifth wheel prep and the ultimate camera package. I do not have the TPMS sensor kit. I was able to take apart the YAW sensor wiring harness and combine it with my camera wiring harness to have both in the same harness. I will attach some pictures with explanations.The most time-consuming part is un-taping the wiring harness.

This is the YAW sensor harness truck end plug. Notice there are 4 pins. Only 2 of them go to the trailer end. The other 2 dead end about 12” into the harness.

This is the truck end plug of the camera harness. Notice the full row of pins. The row above that has 1 pin. The 2 holes to the left of that are where the YAW sensor pins go.

These are the dead end wires in the YAW harness.

First carefully pry these tabs and open the plastic case around the plug.

Next pry open the tab on one part of this piece and cut the tie wrap on the other part.

Next carefully push in here and slide out the part you are pushing in on. There is one of these on both sides. It’s a bit tricky but keep at it.

This is what it looks like when it comes out. This piece is in where the pins poke out through and plug in to the truck. One this piece is out the pins will be unlocked. You will be able to pull out the wires and pins from the other end.

This is the back side of the YAW sensor plug. Once you complete the prior step the 2 wires you need will pull right out with the pins attached. Make sure to note which color wire comes out of which hole.
Do all these same steps with the camera harness. Instead of removing wires and pins put the YAW sensor pins in the appropriate holes. Run the wires in the loom, tape it all up and voila, a combined harness.

I will try and answer any questions.
it looks quite simple to do, I messed around with few Harley Deutsch connectors before, have you tried it yet does your truck recognized the camera right away after plugging everything in ?
im getting a 17/19 camera kit for like $100 cnd can't pass a deal like that. thanks for posting how to it that's exactly what I was looking for

Old 05-13-2020, 03:07 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Originally Posted by Rich53
Doesn’t the camera kit come with its own wiring harness. If you don’t want to use the Yaw sensor then I assume you can just plug the camera harness into the 14 pin connector. I have a 20 with all three, so mine has the harness that combines all three, so it is different, but I would assume the camera comes with a harness that has the 14 pin plug on the end, even if they only use a few of the connections.

doesnthe truck have the combined 7 pin/14 pin socket.
If you ordered the camera package and the 5th wheel prep, then there will be a 7/12-pin connector in the bed and a 7/4-pin connector under the bumper and a 12-pin harness above the spare if you want to have that below the bumper. The camera kit does come with a harness kit which contains a camera/TPMS 'Y' cable and a 48' camera extension cable, you can plug the 2017-2019 harness in and it will work just fine on a 2020 if you don't what to use the backup/YAW sensor. I have done this.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:23 PM
bertschb
Senior User
I have a 2020 F-350 and bought a 2017-19 trailer camera/TPMS kit (2020 kits aren't readily available). I also got the larger Nichols valve stems and had those, along with the Ford TPMS sensors installed on my trailer tires. I then purchased the Nichols 2020 Ford harness so I can use my yaw sensor, TPMS and camera at the same time from the single 12 pin plug in my truck. Next, I had to use Forscan to get my danged truck to recognize the trailer TPMS module. So far, so good!

So, I finally have everything in place to get my truck to learn the TPMS sensors on my 5th wheel. With my 2019 truck and RV, this took 5 minutes. Let air out of the indicated tire, wait for honk, move to next tire. Rinse and repeat. No luck with this new truck. Tried it 20 times and gave up. I then purchased the Ford TPMS learning tool on Amazon with high hopes of success and getting this ridiculously lengthy process behind me. It worked on the first tire! I then moved to the second tire and that worked! WhooHoo! 3rd tire? No dice. I started over ten times and eventually used the tool on tires "out of order" just to see if the 3rd and 4th TPMS sensors worked. They did. After another hour of screwing around tire #2 would no longer activate. All the others worked fine.

I plan to bring the #2 tire to the Ford dealer tomorrow with low expectations that they will be able to help me - or even understand what I'm asking them to do.

So my question to anybody here who might know something about the Ford TPMS sensors - do you think the sensor was installed incorrectly in the tire or is the sensor bad or is the battery in the sensor dead?

Old 05-13-2020, 06:00 PM
CFDFireman90
Freshman User
Originally Posted by firejp
it looks quite simple to do, I messed around with few Harley Deutsch connectors before, have you tried it yet does your truck recognized the camera right away after plugging everything in ?
im getting a 17/19 camera kit for like $100 cnd can't pass a deal like that. thanks for posting how to it that's exactly what I was looking for
yes I have used it. Works awesome. One lesson I learned, make sure when you mount the camera, make sure it is right side up. Otherwise the picture is upside down.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:09 PM
Rich53
Senior User
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
The instructions for the sensors say that if you can drive them for a bit at 20 mph the leaning process goes faster. My presumption is the sensors charge themselves based on rotation of the wheel and tire. Had you driven them at all before you tried to train them?

on mine, I had the wheels balanced after the sensors were installed, so presumably that was enough to charge them. My tires started at 80 psi, they beeped at about 55 psi, so they had to bleed a fair amount of air.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:31 PM
bertschb
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rich53
The instructions for the sensors say that if you can drive them for a bit at 20 mph the leaning process goes faster. My presumption is the sensors charge themselves based on rotation of the wheel and tire. Had you driven them at all before you tried to train them?

on mine, I had the wheels balanced after the sensors were installed, so presumably that was enough to charge them. My tires started at 80 psi, they beeped at about 55 psi, so they had to bleed a fair amount of air.
Yes, after the first ten failed attempts, I hooked up the 5th wheel and drove it 5 miles to an empty parking lot and tried another ten times with no luck.

Quick Reply: 2020 Camera/TPMS/Backup Sensor Cable Problem