2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2020 Camera/TPMS/Backup Sensor Cable Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 10:45 AM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 Camera/TPMS/Backup Sensor Cable Problem

there is a a lot of discussion and details on this in the thread:

New for 2020 SD 5th Wheel Trailer, Aux Camera, and TPMS Connectors inside bed

I am starting this new thread with a more specific title to see if anyone has received the correct cable for the system.

If you ordered a truck with 5th wheel or gooseneck prep and the Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System w/ Pro Trailer Backup Assist Package, you should have received a package in the back seat with a cable harness that plugs into the 12-pin connector in the truck bed and a backup/yaw sensor module to mount on your trailer.

If you also ordered the customer placed Trailer Camera and/or the trailer TPMS system you may have received another package with the camera, TPMS sensors & receiver module and a cable harness with another 12-pin connector that plugs into the same connector in the truck bed. Some of use have had to go back to the dealer for this and then we received the kit for the 2017-19 trucks that doesn't accommodate the backup sensor. The problem is that you cannot plug in both the backup sensor and the camera/TPMS system at the same time. There needs to be a new cable harness for the 2020 models that has 3 connectors on the trailer end.

Has anyone received the correct cable and if so, what is the part number?

Our dealers are not having much luck with this.

Old 02-26-2020, 06:38 PM
jdnariz
Mountain Pass
Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
Looks like you and I are the only ones concerned about this

Old 02-26-2020, 06:42 PM
bertschb
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jdnariz
Looks like you and I are the only ones concerned about this
Hey, I'm concerned about it as well! :-)

I asked my dealer what the new part number was. Explained that it's new for 2020. The parts manager said the part hasn't changed and the 2019 version will work fine. I'm only getting the trailer TPMS system but I'm still waiting just like everybody else to see when it shows up on web sites so I can order it.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:11 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Originally Posted by bertschb
Hey, I'm concerned about it as well! :-)

I asked my dealer what the new part number was. Explained that it's new for 2020. The parts manager said the part hasn't changed and the 2019 version will work fine. I'm only getting the trailer TPMS system but I'm still waiting just like everybody else to see when it shows up on web sites so I can order it.
I suspect that not enough people have received trucks with all of the trailer options yet to have seen the problem.

The parts manager is correct, the TPMS and or camera will probably work just fine, but if you also want to plug in the backup/yaw sensor, you are out of luck. I would challenge him drag out the Camera/TPMS kit and a backup sensor kit and show you how they connect together. I have both. You get two 12-pin connectors to plug into the truck which only has one 12-pin receptacle. The backup/yaw sensor is new this year.

I did ping my dealer again. I am working with the fleet manager and he acknowledges the problem but he doesn't have the solution yet. I am planning an RV trip in early April and I am thinking that I may need to make my own cable out of the two kits.

Stay tuned...

Old 02-26-2020, 07:48 PM
bertschb
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the backup/yaw sensor kit come separately or is it part of the camera kit? I had the camera/trailer TPMS kit on my 2019 F-350 so I'm familiar with that. Not familiar with the 2020 kits.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:57 PM
firechicken92
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Following. My platinum with all of the above will arrive in a couple of weeks. Have not heard of a solution either.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:22 PM
4Seams
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I ordered the trailer backup and the trailer TPMS kit (no camera) with the truck. The yaw sensor came with the truck but no TPMS anything. My dealer has since ordered the TPMS equipment supposedly, but even they're not sure what will show up or when. I have a sneaky feeling that the 2017-2019 kit will be what gets delivered. Until then I'm not holding my breath but am interested if anybody finds out anything.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:37 PM
FishRanger
Laughing Gas
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Same issue, back up camera and Pro Trailer yaw sensor for my fifth wheel. My dealer asked me to leave my truck with them for a couple of days so they could see what could be done. Of course you know the answer, nothing. At this point there is no resolution as far as I know. The service manager did find a TFL video where Andre is trying it out at a Ford sponsored demonstration. There was also a back up camera on the fifth wheel and the Sync screen had the back up camera working and the yaw sensor indicator superimposed on the screen. So, Ford has had it working but nothing for us.

Old 02-27-2020, 01:26 AM
paul100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still waiting on my truck to be delivered, its been sitting on the train in Dilworth MN since 10 PM Feb 24th. Not sure why the train stopped moving west. Anyway, was thinking, probably a stupid idea, but could the receptacle down by the bumper be swapped out with a 12pin and then you could plug one in in the bed and one at the bumper?

Old 02-27-2020, 06:59 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Yaw sensor?

I just installed the backup camera system and for a plug n play it was a bitch to install. My rear bumper is a Ranch Hand and it sticks out about ¾ in further than the OEM. Well the cabling is not long enough to deal with that ¾ in. Drop tire, undo cable about 6 ft and pull and stretch to barely get the ¾ in and I mean barely...

Here is the kit and I have ultimate with 5th/goose prep, but what is where is the YAW sensor or what does it look like?

Complete Kit, not TPMS

Old 02-27-2020, 10:08 AM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Originally Posted by bertschb
Does the backup/yaw sensor kit come separately or is it part of the camera kit? I had the camera/trailer TPMS kit on my 2019 F-350 so I'm familiar with that. Not familiar with the 2020 kits.
My truck came with the backup/yaw sensor kit in a plastic bag in the back seat. This is a complete kit that plugs into the 12-pin connector on the truck. The camera/TPMS kit did not come with the truck so the dealer had to order it and then they got the old 2017-19 kit.
Originally Posted by 4Seams
I ordered the trailer backup and the trailer TPMS kit (no camera) with the truck. The yaw sensor came with the truck but no TPMS anything. My dealer has since ordered the TPMS equipment supposedly, but even they're not sure what will show up or when. I have a sneaky feeling that the 2017-2019 kit will be what gets delivered. Until then I'm not holding my breath but am interested if anybody finds out anything.
When you get the kit check the instruction sheet, if the copyright date on the bottom is 2017, you have the old (wrong) kit.
Originally Posted by FishRanger
Same issue, back up camera and Pro Trailer yaw sensor for my fifth wheel. My dealer asked me to leave my truck with them for a couple of days so they could see what could be done. Of course you know the answer, nothing. At this point there is no resolution as far as I know. The service manager did find a TFL video where Andre is trying it out at a Ford sponsored demonstration. There was also a back up camera on the fifth wheel and the Sync screen had the back up camera working and the yaw sensor indicator superimposed on the screen. So, Ford has had it working but nothing for us.
This is encouraging. I am sure that they must have tested everything together and there is probably a production problem with the wiring harness.
Originally Posted by paul100
Still waiting on my truck to be delivered, its been sitting on the train in Dilworth MN since 10 PM Feb 24th. Not sure why the train stopped moving west. Anyway, was thinking, probably a stupid idea, but could the receptacle down by the bumper be swapped out with a 12pin and then you could plug one in in the bed and one at the bumper?
I had thought about that too and went out to the truck to look. If you order the 5th wheel/gooseneck prep (standard on the 450), you will get a 7-pin/12-pin combo connector in the bed and a standard 7-pin/4-pin below the bumper, so there is only one 12-pin to plug into.

Also, when examining the two 12-pin connectors on the kit cables, the one for the backup/yaw sensor only has 4 pins installed and 2 of those same pins are not installed one the camera/TPMS cable connector, the other end of the backup/yaw cable only has a 2-pin connector to plug into the sensor, so it appears that those 2 wires are not in the camera/yaw cable. I have not seen the cables that come with the camera only or TPMS only kits so I don't know how many wires are in each or if they come with the same cable that came with my combo kit that has 2 separate connectors for the camera and TPMS.

Old 02-27-2020, 03:52 PM
Under-Pressure
Tuned
Received 196 Likes on 91 Posts
Thanks for all the good info here guys! I ordered my ‘20 with the trailer backup & customer placed camera. Only the yaw sensor & harness were delivered with the truck. Dealer is looking into the missing camera kit & problems with using the ‘17-‘19 kit. I will post details if I get a ‘20 kit.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:48 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Originally Posted by Under-Pressure
Thanks for all the good info here guys! I ordered my ‘20 with the trailer backup & customer placed camera. Only the yaw sensor & harness were delivered with the truck. Dealer is looking into the missing camera kit & problems with using the ‘17-‘19 kit. I will post details if I get a ‘20 kit.
Yes, please let us know what you get!

Old 02-27-2020, 07:16 PM
greymule
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You can not order a ‘20 with individual trailer TPMS/customer-placed trailer camera option standalone. To order this option you must also order the Ultimate trailer tow camera system with Pro trailer backup assist option. All this in one 12 pin cable. Since Pro trailer backup assist option is new for ‘20 Super Duty, I doubt if the cable is a plug n play for earlier models. It’s possible this cable is not available as a “part” thru the parts dept (yet). Strictly ordered with specific ‘20 Super Duty.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:52 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Originally Posted by greymule
You can not order a ‘20 with individual trailer TPMS/customer-placed trailer camera option standalone. To order this option you must also order the Ultimate trailer tow camera system with Pro trailer backup assist option. All this in one 12 pin cable. Since Pro trailer backup assist option is new for ‘20 Super Duty, I doubt if the cable is a plug n play for earlier models. It’s possible this cable is not available as a “part” thru the parts dept (yet). Strictly ordered with specific ‘20 Super Duty.
In the 2017-19 cable there are unused pins in the 12-pin connector. The backup/yaw sensor uses 2 pins that are not used in that cable, so what is needed is a new "breakout" cable the plugs into the 12-pin connector with 3 connectors on the other end. One for the camera, one for the TPMS receiver module and one for the new backup/yaw sensor. Hopefully, the existing (old) camera and TPMS receiver module cables will plug into this new cable. However, nothing is for certain until we actually see one.

If I get some time this weekend, I will plug the "old" cable in with the camera and TPMS receiver module and see if the truck recognizes them.

Quick Reply: 2020 Camera/TPMS/Backup Sensor Cable Problem