302 engine issues.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:19 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by BeauF0RD
Anybody with experience on checking fuel pressure want to give me some advice on how to properly and thoroughly check the fuel pressure. Thanks
Ideally you probably want to check it with a T fitting right near the carb at idle, but a "deadhead" connection will work too. 9 psi is too high though. This is a big problem with modern manufacture pumps.

The fuel pump output is a critical because everything else depends on it being correct, in particular the specific fuel height in the carburetor bowl must be maintained at all times under all conditions. The float and bowl sort of looks like a toilet tank but unlike a toilet the fuel level doesn't rise and fall.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:25 PM
BeauF0RD
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tedster9, when I get my vacuum/fuel hose leak free what should I do to have a accurate fuel pressure reading? keep it hooked up until fast idle goes off? rev the truck to 3000 rpms? Will or should revving the truck change fuel pressure?

Old 11-10-2018, 09:43 PM
BeauF0RD
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tedster9

Ideally you probably want to check it with a T fitting right near the carb at idle, but a "deadhead" connection will work too. 9 psi is too high though. This is a big problem with modern manufacture pumps.

The fuel pump output is a critical because everything else depends on it being correct, in particular the specific fuel height in the carburetor bowl must be maintained at all times under all conditions. The float and bowl sort of looks like a toilet tank but unlike a toilet the fuel level doesn't rise and fall.
Thanks Tedster9, you made this post while I was posting my last post. I do have my T fitting right off the carb, I will get my leak fixed and run the truck until I have a normal warmed up idle and get a accurate fuel pressure reading. I have to ask what is a "deadhead"connection? And also what would you recommend as a fix if my fuel pressure is indeed 9psi? A new fuel pump or a fuel regulator?

Old 11-11-2018, 08:34 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Fuel pressure needs to be 4-7 psi. You'll need to use a regulator with the pump you have now.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:37 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend

It's just you LOL

Old 11-11-2018, 08:40 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend

On the contrary, it does rise and fall. Otherwise the needle valve would never open.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:09 PM
BeauF0RD
Elder User
Okay so I got a new fuel hose to hook up my vacuum/fuel gauge today. I hooked it up and turned on my truck, at high idle the fuel pressure maxed out at 10psi, at normal operating temperature and idle my fuel pressure was still a high 9.5 psi. So now I know I need to get a fuel regulator to bring my fuel pressure to some where around 6 psi to make my Holley 600 cfm model 4160 carburetor happy. Does anybody have any good recommendations on what kind of fuel regulator I should purchase?

Old 11-11-2018, 03:12 PM
BeauF0RD
Elder User

maybe this one?

Old 11-11-2018, 07:19 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend

maybe this one?
Same one I was going to recommend.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:21 PM
BeauF0RD
Elder User
Thanks baddad457, I am going to order it tomorrow.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:34 PM
BeauF0RD
Elder User
I got the Holley 12-803 regulator today. Now I need to figure out my best location and how I want to plumb it into my fuel line. Any suggestions, maybe on the fire wall?

Old 11-12-2018, 05:50 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
I got the Holley 12-803 regulator today. Now I need to figure out my best location and how I want to plumb it into my fuel line. Any suggestions, maybe on the fire wall?
If you have a mech fuel pump, then the driver's side inner fender will do. Or if you want it on the firewall and have a dual feed line on that Holley, you could reverse the fuel line and shorten the distance from the line to the firewall. This is what I did on an 89 V8 Ranger

Old 11-17-2018, 02:00 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by baddad457
On the contrary, it does rise and fall. Otherwise the needle valve would never open.
The float does ever so slightly. The fuel level stays constant or nearly so, by design. That's the idea, anyway. Very common misconception! I know, cuz I had it too. The reason is because the carburetor is calibrated to have this fuel bowl level maintained very closely. Some specify wet fuel height to within 1/32", they wouldn't do this if it wasn't important. So everything factors, fuel pump pressure, the weight of the float, inlet orifice size etc. Remember the fuel level in the well rises to the same height as in the bowl. The air flowing through the carb draws it from the well, called pullover. If you've ever tried to siphon gas from a full container versus one only a 1/4 full, it's easier to get a full container started. it's kind of like that in a way.

"Similar to the float in the tank of a toilet, there's a float attached to the needle valve in a carburetor. The float rides up and down with the level of fuel in the bowl and acts on the needle valve. Unlike the tank in the bathroom fixture, however, the goal of the carburetor float, needle and seat is keeping the fuel level constant in the bowl, regardless of the demands of the engine. The carburetor float bowl does not empty and fill as the tank of the bathroom fixture does."

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2015/02/Bowl-and-Float-Assembly/3746461.html

Old 11-17-2018, 02:10 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9, when I get my vacuum/fuel hose leak free what should I do to have a accurate fuel pressure reading? keep it hooked up until fast idle goes off? rev the truck to 3000 rpms? Will or should revving the truck change fuel pressure?
Don't even have to start the engine. Just crank it over with the ignition disabled for 5 or 10 seconds will tell the tale.

I think the fuel pump is actually defective from the numbers you describe. The shop manual for your truck lists the fuel pump pressure spec. Find out what it is. I bet it's 4.5 to 5.5, something like that. All things being equal, I'd rather have a mechanical fuel pump that is within the factory spec, vs. trying to tamp it back down by half with a dial regulator. Have you checked the pump for volume?

It's possible, even though the unit has nearly twice the fuel pressure output spec, it is unable to supply sufficient fuel volume under high demand. A pressure regulator won't remedy that.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:40 PM
BeauF0RD
Elder User

Don't even have to start the engine. Just crank it over with the ignition disabled for 5 or 10 seconds will tell the tale.

I think the fuel pump is actually defective from the numbers you describe. The shop manual for your truck lists the fuel pump pressure spec. Find out what it is. I bet it's 4.5 to 5.5, something like that. All things being equal, I'd rather have a mechanical fuel pump that is within the factory spec, vs. trying to tamp it back down by half with a dial regulator. Have you checked the pump for volume?

It's possible, even though the unit has nearly twice the fuel pressure output spec, it is unable to supply sufficient fuel under high demand. A pressure regulator won't remedy that.
Thanks again Tedster9 for your guidance as I try to work this out. the Holley 4160 carb calls for around 6 psi. I may very well have a bad mechanical fuel pump but prior posters told me a fuel regulator could resolve my problems so I bought one and now that I have it I'm going to install it. At the very least it will take my fuel pressure from 9.5 to 6 psi. I will try it and see what happens and than go from there. Thank you and everybody else. In the end I may end up with a new more properly sized carb, we will see.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 302 engine issues.