2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Remote Access and additional Vehicle security kit!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 08:56 AM
REPO.
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MagicMtnDan
because he doesn't (have a gun).
That's what we want you to think. 😉

Old 03-16-2017, 09:05 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by REPO.
Pocket, with the little LED that can be purchased for the security system, I was wondering where it gets mounted? Do they have to drill a hole in something?
Yes you are supposed to drill a hole.

I prefer to drill in the cover on the top of the steering column. If you mess up that's a $20 part. Drill into the dash somewhere and mess up, and it can get more expensive. Plus the LED is highly visible there, so potential thieves won't miss it. Visual deterrents are often the best deterrents.

Just make sure that the spot you drill behind the steering column cover won't interfere with anything. Pop the cover off and measure.

Now I have seen clip in holders for the LED. Those are usually mounted at the bottom of the dash. I don't like those as much since they are harder to see. But if you don't like drilling then that's an option.

Originally Posted by Siriustoo
Curtis, do you know if you can add remote access without remote start? I don't want to start my F-350 remotely but would like to get a text alert if someone has broken into my truck.
Technically yes you can, just don't enable the remote start feature in the vehicle calibration with IDS. Everything else will still work.

But I'm not sure why you would want to do that. Even if the truck is started remotely, it can't be driven without a key.

Originally Posted by pickerdd
Curtis,

Thanks for the explanation. It makes perfect sense. I look forward to testing out how far my FOB will work with my truck.

Thanks again.
Glad to help.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:54 AM
jpar247
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone able to tell me with Security System that comes with the Plat. if you can hit the remote start button on the FOB while the truck is parked/running, and will the motor stay running if you leave the truck. Love that feature on my 08 for turbo cool down, or leaving the AC on for the dog if I run into the bank.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:25 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jpar247
Anyone able to tell me with Security System that comes with the Plat. if you can hit the remote start button on the FOB while the truck is parked/running, and will the motor stay running if you leave the truck. Love that feature on my 08 for turbo cool down, or leaving the AC on for the dog if I run into the bank.
That was only a feature on the old wire in kits that were installed pre-2011.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:42 PM
LaydBack
Junior User
Originally Posted by REPO.
Pocket, with the little LED that can be purchased for the security system, I was wondering where it gets mounted? Do they have to drill a hole in something?
Where I mounted mine.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:43 AM
lts
Junior User
Received mine from Banner Ford (e-bay purchase). Looks like everything is accounted for but the SIM card has been punched out of the holder card. Is it already installed in the RMU module maybe?
Thanks,

Old 03-17-2017, 08:40 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by lts
Received mine from Banner Ford (e-bay purchase). Looks like everything is accounted for but the SIM card has been punched out of the holder card. Is it already installed in the RMU module maybe?
Thanks,
Correct.

You just need the SIM ID off that card in order to get it activated. At the end of the activation process, a 4 digit PIN is generated. The SIM ID and PIN are both required to connect your phone to the vehicle.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:00 PM
LaydBack
Junior User
For anyone installing the LED where I did, you may want to go just a hair higher (literally an 1/8" or just slightly less) to clear the dash when you snap it back up

Old 03-17-2017, 06:18 PM
lts
Junior User
Originally Posted by Pocket
Correct.

You just need the SIM ID off that card in order to get it activated. At the end of the activation process, a 4 digit PIN is generated. The SIM ID and PIN are both required to connect your phone to the vehicle.
Thanks Curtis, appreciate all the great info you provide!

Old 03-20-2017, 11:12 AM
lts
Junior User
Anyone know what the small jumper is used for?
I came with the remote access kit.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:23 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by lts
Anyone know what the small jumper is used for?
I came with the remote access kit.
It's used to disable the shock sensor on the security module. Basically for those who want to have the remote start upgrade, but don't want to upgrade the security.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:31 PM
lts
Junior User
Nice, that's what I'll probably do then.
Shock sensors I've had in the past were too sensitive to thunder even when turned down to minimum sensitivity. Don't want the air horn going off & pissing off the neighbors...
I'll have to see if I can figure out just where it plugs in.
Thanks Curtis!

Old 03-20-2017, 12:42 PM
LaydBack
Junior User
Originally Posted by lts
Nice, that's what I'll probably do then.
Shock sensors I've had in the past were too sensitive to thunder even when turned down to minimum sensitivity. Don't want the air horn going off & pissing off the neighbors...
I'll have to see if I can figure out just where it plugs in.
Thanks Curtis!
There's only 1 spot that it will plug into....shouldn't be any trouble finding it on the module.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:48 PM
lts
Junior User
Thanks LaydBack,
I figured it would be pretty much idiot prof like that.
I'll get it plugged in later today when I get a chance.

Appreciate the info!

Old 03-20-2017, 06:36 PM
lts
Junior User
I'm currently working out of state & not near a ford dealership. I’ve got the remote access kit installed.

My local ford dealer back home (small by most standards) seems agreeable with activating the system & generating the PIN remotely. I’ve sent the dealership the SIM ID number. But they don’t seem to be familiar with how it’s done. Sounds like they think I need to use FordPass, this isn’t available on our 2017’s is it?

If I understand correctly, they just need to activate it and generate the PIN. Then I can log into the Ford Remote Access site & add the vehicle correct?

Anyone know the detailed procedure the dealership needs to use in order to activate & generate the PIN?

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Remote Access and additional Vehicle security kit!