2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Remote Access and additional Vehicle security kit!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 08:10 PM
DISLTom
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 17STROKES
There is no antenna that comes with the remote access I am pretty sure it is inside the remote access box just like your antenna is inside your cell phone.
Well, to be fair - my cell phone isn't tucked up inside of a dash with a ton of other electronic noise generators.

Would be curious to know one way or the other since I'm doing this myself and found some very good prices online for this hardware.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:29 PM
Airstream.csh
Junior User
Originally Posted by SuperDuty417
A Canadian is someone who knows how to make love in a canoe, just like the American, but without a gun!
An American has enough common sense to make sure the canoe is on land so the woman is comfortable and feels safe. The gun is merely for her protection while undressed on land.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:42 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pickerdd
You also need the antenna:

Vehicle Security System - Upgradeable, Bi-Directional Remote Start Antenna Kit
Part No: DL3Z-15603-C
SRP: $62.86 Suggested Retail Price:View Details
Get local pricing
Required for ALL Remote Start Upgade Applications

https://accessories.ford.com/electro...erial-asy.html
Yes, it's for the remote start device to access the cell phone network it uses. I haven't tested the fob range, but I don't see how it could affect the fob range. I had it installed in my truck before I took delivery yesterday and it works great. Really freaking cool.
The antenna is only for the FOBs. It has nothing to do with the cell phone remote start (Remote Access), and absolutely will not affect or enhance the range in any way. It's only function is to provide long range signal support for the one-way and bi-directional FOBs.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:59 AM
17STROKES
Junior User
Originally Posted by DISLTom
Well, to be fair - my cell phone isn't tucked up inside of a dash with a ton of other electronic noise generators.

Would be curious to know one way or the other since I'm doing this myself and found some very good prices online for this hardware.
Well I am telling you again that there is no antenna to buy I have already purchased the two parts needed and had them installed, and it works from anywhere you have cell service at both ends both truck and phone

Old 03-15-2017, 09:22 AM
REPO.
Senior User
Agreed. The long range antenna is just that. Extended range for the FOB's. Not required for Remote Access.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:40 AM
pickerdd
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
The antenna is only for the FOBs. It has nothing to do with the cell phone remote start (Remote Access), and absolutely will not affect or enhance the range in any way. It's only function is to provide long range signal support for the one-way and bi-directional FOBs.
Not meaning to be argumentative here, but the antenna was specifically for the remote start cell phone option I had installed in my truck. It has nothing to do with the FOB. The Ford app controls start, stop, lock and unlock as well as find (horn beeps and lights blink). Those functions are controlled from the cell phone app as well as the FOB. The difference between the cell phone app service functionality and the FOB is the FOB has limited distance functionality, whereas the cell phone app works when the truck and phone have cell service.

That's the way I understand it and see the difference in functionality between the FOB and the cell phone service unless I'm missing something in the discussion.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:16 AM
SRock123
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't need the $49 package to watch my truck but I race dirt bikes and keeping them secure in the hauler at hotels is an issue.

Would or could this package alert me if someone tampered with the trailer while hooked to the vehicle? I would think vibration of the trailer would set the alarm should someone start to cut the locks and enter the trailer. Or if the bikes are locked in the bed I would have enough of a warning to scare thieves away. Any thoughts?

Old 03-15-2017, 10:26 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Not meaning to be argumentative here, but the antenna was specifically for the remote start cell phone option I had installed in my truck. It has nothing to do with the FOB. The Ford app controls start, stop, lock and unlock as well as find (horn beeps and lights blink). Those functions are controlled from the cell phone app as well as the FOB. The difference between the cell phone app service functionality and the FOB is the FOB has limited distance functionality, whereas the cell phone app works when the truck and phone have cell service.

That's the way I understand it and see the difference in functionality between the FOB and the cell phone service unless I'm missing something in the discussion.
I train Ford dealer technicians on how to install these, among other things.

The DL3Z-15603-C antenna is only for the long range FOBs. It functions completely independently from the Remote Access module, part #: DL3Z-19A390-B.

If you are only adding Remote Access, the separate DL3Z-15603-C antenna is not needed. If you add the antenna without adding long-range FOBs, you've wasted money.

That's how these systems operate. I'm just stating facts here, and trying to help members here understand what is what.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:09 PM
pickerdd
Tuned
Curtis - ok cool, thanks for the info. That explains what's going on with the antennae.

What kind of additional range does the antenna give the FOB's?

Thanks again for the explanation!

Old 03-15-2017, 05:06 PM
17STROKES
Junior User
Originally Posted by SRock123
I don't need the $49 package to watch my truck but I race dirt bikes and keeping them secure in the hauler at hotels is an issue.

Would or could this package alert me if someone tampered with the trailer while hooked to the vehicle? I would think vibration of the trailer would set the alarm should someone start to cut the locks and enter the trailer. Or if the bikes are locked in the bed I would have enough of a warning to scare thieves away. Any thoughts?
Might work in the bed probably not in the trailer

Old 03-15-2017, 09:27 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Curtis - ok cool, thanks for the info. That explains what's going on with the antennae.

What kind of additional range does the antenna give the FOB's?

Thanks again for the explanation!
It doesn't give any additional range. There's only one range with the Ford kits. I'll explain.

The long range one-way and bi-directional FOBs work on a different frequency than your key. Because it's a different frequency, there is no antenna built into the vehicle that will read that signal. So the antenna must be added in order to use the long range FOBs.

At the same time, there's no place in the vehicle to plug in that antenna.

So.... a module is installed, and the antenna plugs into the module, and the long range FOBs transmit to the antenna.

On the older remote start kits, the remote start module was hard wired into the vehicle, and the antenna plugged into that.

The new systems are plug and play, where a security module is plugged in, and then you add on either an antenna for the long range FOBs, or the Remote Access module for cell phone remote start. Or you can have both, the security base module is flexible and works with any combination. They are all designed to work together (at least on the current plug and play systems, older wire splice systems cannot be upgraded or interchanged like that).

Ford rates the long-range FOBs up to 1000 feet. Voxx manufacturers these systems for Ford, and actually rate them at up to 1/4 mile. Of course the range will vary based on a variety of factors.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:21 PM
REPO.
Senior User
Pocket, with the little LED that can be purchased for the security system, I was wondering where it gets mounted? Do they have to drill a hole in something?

Old 03-16-2017, 01:04 AM
MagicMtnDan
Laughing Gas
Received 140 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperDuty417
A Canadian is someone who knows how to make love in a canoe, just like the American, but without a gun!
A Canadian may be someone who "knows how to make love in a canoe, just like an American, but without a gun." But an American knows how to protect himself because he has a gun while the Canadian is "making love" (being raped) in a canoe because he doesn't (have a gun).

Old 03-16-2017, 07:28 AM
Siriustoo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Curtis, do you know if you can add remote access without remote start? I don't want to start my F-350 remotely but would like to get a text alert if someone has broken into my truck.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:50 AM
pickerdd
Tuned
Curtis,

Thanks for the explanation. It makes perfect sense. I look forward to testing out how far my FOB will work with my truck.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Remote Access and additional Vehicle security kit!