1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1972 Highboy Build Progress

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 03:32 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Good to hear the bed fits, and that you got it bolted down. Did you check the front wheel cylinders?
This was the only one working on my front brakes!

Rusted solid.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:36 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
If you can, buy a set of speed bleeders (take one of your old bleeder screws with you), They will save you from going crazy.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:14 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
All the advice above is right on the money. Go is good, Stop is mandatory. If you replace it all, you know what you have, when it was put in, and the life expectancy. Otherwise, something will fail, and often at the most inopportune time. Parts, oil & grease are cheaper than body repair. I would pull all the wheels, and drums, inspect the brake shoes & parts, replacing what you can afford. I'd also replace all the steel and rubber lines, and then you KNOW that you can stop when you need to.
2nd. Trust all the advice you get on this site, everyone is 'over the top' helpful and some are exceptionally knowledgeable. A lot of the 'Bump Forum' members are not just parts replacers, they are creators and inventors of things the factory engineers never even thought of.
I got my truck, almost new, from an old WWII vet, who went blind. I can relate to your truck's history, and your efforts in restoration. Yours has a special meaning to you, and I salute you, as I salute your Grandfather's truck. Keep the photos coming.

Baja

Old 12-05-2016, 02:58 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
I'll jump on the replace all steel and rubber lines also. And 2X Gary on the wheel cylinders. Brakes are not only your life, but maybe someone else's also. 2X rust on the inside of the metal lines. You see, brake fluid is extremely "thirsty" for moisture in the air. Like every time the M/C cap is removed. Brake fluid grabs the moisture out of the air a LOT faster than most people think. Then there is moisture on the inside of the bare metal brake lines. We all know what moisture + bare steel equals. Brake fluid should be changed every couple of years with brand new and unopened bottles of fresh brake fluid because of this. Especially with the ol' cast iron M/C brake systems. And even with the newer aluminum M/C's also if the cap has been removed a lot.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:06 PM
F2501972
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy a new carb or rebuild the 1972 Holley?

Originally Posted by orich
yes rebuild it, don't just wing it, fix it once then your good to go..
I'd think the rear brake line cost about double as one front brake line does. about 10-12 yrs ago $33 bucks 10-$12 then at auto zone. Napa good but a little higher in my area.
I also has to replace all my hard lines for the brakes. As, I found them stating to rust inside.

If your putting on a bed with a tool box the rear spring will make contact with the rear of the tool box. I had to cut a hole the box to get the spring bolt out then made a patch door if ever need to get to the bolt again..

Orich
Looking at new carbs... they claim better MPG etc and power. ??? Buying a new one will cost me a little more than a rebuild on the Holley carb which is 44 years old. Looking for ideas on which way to go... thxs

Old 12-05-2016, 10:13 PM
F2501972
Elder User
Originally Posted by bajafishnut
All the advice above is right on the money. Go is good, Stop is mandatory. If you replace it all, you know what you have, when it was put in, and the life expectancy. Otherwise, something will fail, and often at the most inopportune time. Parts, oil & grease are cheaper than body repair. I would pull all the wheels, and drums, inspect the brake shoes & parts, replacing what you can afford. I'd also replace all the steel and rubber lines, and then you KNOW that you can stop when you need to.
2nd. Trust all the advice you get on this site, everyone is 'over the top' helpful and some are exceptionally knowledgeable. A lot of the 'Bump Forum' members are not just parts replacers, they are creators and inventors of things the factory engineers never even thought of.
I got my truck, almost new, from an old WWII vet, who went blind. I can relate to your truck's history, and your efforts in restoration. Yours has a special meaning to you, and I salute you, as I salute your Grandfather's truck. Keep the photos coming.

Baja
On the drums...where can I find instructions on tear down? Apprecite the comments!

Old 12-05-2016, 10:27 PM
F2501972
Elder User

NAPA has the rubber lines and I can buy the steel line and make them myself. But I would rather buy OEM steel lines if ava. ???

Old 12-05-2016, 10:32 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by F2501972
Looking at new carbs... they claim better MPG etc and power. ??? Buying a new one will cost me a little more than a rebuild on the Holley carb which is 44 years old. Looking for ideas on which way to go... thxs
If you'll be out doing some 4wd~ing Truck Avenger is a pretty good setup.
Good for up & down steep hills type of carb.
A little pricey tho.

If your looking for better gas mileage and want a 4barrle carb then look for a ford autolite carb 4100. I notice that, I got worse gas mileages right a way after putting on a Holley 600cfm carb. I' had even had it jeted down pretty lean. It was ok as long as I stayed close out of dry climates or would ping and drop engine idling so went back to #62 jets with stock cam that is.

I ran #57 jets in the ford 4100 carb with no problems.

And the Holley would run to lean on #57.

Now, I'm going to a efi Holley stealth Terminator setup as soon as all the parts come in. So I see how this setup works out.
This is about the last thing, I can do to my truck other then getting it painted,
as, I done as many of upgrades that, I could do.

Orich

Old 12-06-2016, 05:08 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts

NAPA has the rubber lines and I can buy the steel line and make them myself. But I would rather buy OEM steel lines if ava. ???

Steel Brake Lines - Made in the USA - sstubes.com‎

Adwww.sstubes.com/brake/lines‎This ad is based on your current search terms.
Visit Google’s Why This Ad page to learn more or opt out.

Pre-bent and Flared. Stainless Steel Available. Shop Now!
Services: Brake Lines, Fuel Lines, Transmission Lines

Preformed Brake Lines - pre bent brake lines - P-S-T.com‎

Adwww.p-s-t.com/‎This ad is based on your current search terms.
Visit Google’s Why This Ad page to learn more or opt out.

Free shipping to the 48 U.S. States

Old 12-07-2016, 06:16 PM
F2501972
Elder User
Originally Posted by KsHighboy
I bought new brake hoses front and rear for my truck recently at the local napa. Fronts were like $13 a piece and the rear hose was around $22. I would definitely check timing and kit the carb!!! If it was me, I would prob get rid of the points and go to a Pertronix. Btw, if the steel lines are that bad you might as well go ahead and replace them too.

Looks good with the bed on!
Thanks KsHighboy! I have the front lines on way from NAPA but guy could not find the rear rubber line. Do you know the part number for the rear rubber line

In case I need to replace wheel cylinders, does anyone have tips or manaul on the Highboy?

Old 12-07-2016, 06:51 PM
KsHighboy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F250, I will try and get the part number.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:18 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Thought this thought about the life of a motor, applies to us all;

Old 12-07-2016, 08:39 PM
F2501972
Elder User
Wheel Cylinder

Originally Posted by GaryKip
If you can, buy a set of speed bleeders (take one of your old bleeder screws with you), They will save you from going crazy.
Thanks GaryKip, are the wheel cylinder not to hard to change? Do I need any special tools or instructions? Thanks again - Shawn

Old 12-07-2016, 09:14 PM
F2501972
Elder User
A Boy and his Jeep » Dana 60/70 Rear Drums

Found that link on a diff thread which will help when I do back drums / cylinders etc. I'm looking for a link that will show how to deal with the front drums / cylinders on my Highboy. Sure it is here somewhere...

Old 12-08-2016, 04:40 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Thanks GaryKip, are the wheel cylinder not to hard to change? Do I need any special tools or instructions? Thanks again - Shawn
They are super easy to change on the front wheels for sure. While you don't HAVE to use any special tools, I would suggest using a line wrench (AKA tubing wrench) on the brake line (where it connects to the wheel cylinder). Keep in mind that there is a Driver's side and a Passenger side wheel cylinder. At least on my 69 there is.

Quick Reply: 1972 Highboy Build Progress