North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

Official NCFTE Works Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 05:32 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you could use a gimp, I may be able to give a hand.I'm hoping to do my seals and rear brakes on Ka'Bluey this weekend...

Old 03-01-2016, 07:29 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarheel Blue
So I bought a tranny and it's still in the truck. I can't pull by myself, so wondering if anyone can help in the next weekend or two. The truck sits in a south suburb of Sanford.

Kurt, Tell us a little about the job. Is the parts truck in dirt do you know? does it still have the engine in it as well? Will we have access to power tools or just battery operated pieces? I Assume this tranny's going to be for the two-tone truck you drove out to the dinner a few months ago. Is it just for a spare or is there something wrong with the tranny you have? I can probably give you half a day, but I'd prefer to wait till next weekend. My legs are still sore from all the boxes I carried last week, plus I want to finish of the winch and do some yard clean up.

James, When do you want to tackle that bike?

oh and put the jeep in 4wd and the front end noise came back.. guess it wasn't just needing a little grease...

Old 03-01-2016, 10:49 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it a squeaky noise? Or a grinding noise?

Old 03-01-2016, 05:33 PM
Tarheel Blue
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Bob, you did such a good job on my primo dash pad, I'll gladly take you up on the offer.
Josh, the donor sits in someone's yard so I plan on bringing some scrap plywood and various pieces of lumber for "flotation". The 5.0 is still in the truck And it will probably be an all battery/ beer powered job. I'm buying the beer of course!
Nothing wrong w/ my tranny other than its a manual, gonna rebuild and then swap this auto into Ol' Blue. Next weekend works better for me also, let me check in with the seller.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:20 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by 77mud
Is it a squeaky noise? Or a grinding noise?
It's a clunk. I only noticed it again after i stuck her in 4 high, driving around the yard. Usually heard while turning. I gotta stop being lazy and rip the front tires off, and go over all the nuts to see what's loose, and check the outer bearings.

The Jeep is getting old, and sits mostly now, so it's starting to get all those little things that say "I'm Neglected" I swear it's worse than having a woman around some days.

But I won't forget the day I bought her home! Man I love that little bas****.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:22 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by Tarheel Blue
Thanks Bob, you did such a good job on my primo dash pad, I'll gladly take you up on the offer.
Josh, the donor sits in someone's yard so I plan on bringing some scrap plywood and various pieces of lumber for "flotation". The 5.0 is still in the truck And it will probably be an all battery/ beer powered job. I'm buying the beer of course!
Nothing wrong w/ my tranny other than its a manual, gonna rebuild and then swap this auto into Ol' Blue. Next weekend works better for me also, let me check in with the seller.
Beer. Now your speaking my language. I'll do a lot for a Sculpin, All Day, or Go To IPA. Heck, even a Guinness will get me to turn a wrench.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:26 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Benztechnc
Beer. Now your speaking my language. I'll do a lot for a Sculpin, All Day, or Go To IPA. Heck, even a Guinness will get me to turn a wrench.
As long at it's a cold O.P's (Other People's) I'm not too picky Though I'm not an IPA fan. But getting into those dark stouts

Old 03-03-2016, 09:43 AM
ncheavymetal
Postmaster
Josh, Bike shouldn't need much to get running. Just a little attention. I'm going to try to make some time this weekend. I also need to adjust the drum brakes and my clutch cable is a little stretched. After that it should be good to thrash at uwharrie.

It needs a full fork and rear shock overhaul but that won't happen before April. So I'll ride it till it breaks then start taking it apart.

Did you ever get your winch running? Have you thought about going with synthetic rope instead of cable?

Old 03-05-2016, 11:07 AM
Tarheel Blue
Mountain Pass
Spoke with the seller and next Sunday morning works best for him. Let me know if you can lend a hand and we'll coordinate.
Thanks!

Old 03-06-2016, 06:42 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Hey Kurt!
Right now I have nothing going on and can give a hand next weekend.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:05 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
Got the oil changed in Ol' Blue yesterday, and picked up some transmission fluid and a new air filter. Was gonna pickup a battery but couldn't find one I liked. May take the one out of my 97 and see if I can make it sing today for a few minutes just to test the alternator.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:23 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
Trying to waken the sleeping beast is proving to be harder than I had imagined.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:41 PM
Tarheel Blue
Mountain Pass
Thanks Bob,
I'll take you up on the offer. I'll be in touch later in the week w/ timing.
Josh, you still able to help next Sunday?

Old 03-06-2016, 01:46 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
Finally got the truck to fire, it kicked my *** for a hour or so because I made a stupid mistake. She fired right up with some fresh gas and ran good, held 70psi cold and didn't smoke to bad.

Put the multimeter on it and she was running at 14.3 volts with the new 3g alternator while powering the 6al, fuel pump, and electric water pump.

Now just need to pickup a new battery a couple new switches and some extra fuses and she will be ready to try out.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:41 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
With the nicer weather this week, I'll get some more time out on Ka'Bluey. With the cool damp stuff that we have had, I've been in the house a lot lately.

Quick Reply: Official NCFTE Works Thread