Notices
North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

Official NCFTE Works Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 07:41 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
ubereal2 has a great reputation on FTE.ubereal2 has a great reputation on FTE.ubereal2 has a great reputation on FTE.ubereal2 has a great reputation on FTE.ubereal2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Benztechnc View Post
Pretty sure I have some wheel cylinders that might fit, maybe some brake lines as well. There's a box of carb parts laying around. Dang Bob, it'll be great to get rid of some of the old f-150 parts I have laying around, make space so I can pick up more junk!
I should be good on the wheel cylinders, but who knows. And far as carb parts, I know a guy that is looking for Motorcraft 2150 Venturi if you have one that is good.
What are you calling old F150 parts I can't get enough

Old 02-17-2016, 08:15 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Benztechnc has a great reputation on FTE.Benztechnc has a great reputation on FTE.Benztechnc has a great reputation on FTE.Benztechnc has a great reputation on FTE.
No, but if either of you have wired up a 220 outlet before, I may get ya'll to help with that. I'm good with most electrics around the 5 and 12 volt applications, I just have never dealt with wiring up a home/ shop outlet.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:07 AM
ncheavymetal
Postmaster
ncheavymetal has much to be proud ofncheavymetal has much to be proud ofncheavymetal has much to be proud ofncheavymetal has much to be proud ofncheavymetal has much to be proud ofncheavymetal has much to be proud ofncheavymetal has much to be proud ofncheavymetal has much to be proud ofncheavymetal has much to be proud of
There's lots of info to get an outlet wired for 220/240. Seems like the main thing is to have that outlet be on it's own circuit from the panel. I'll bring some printed material with instructions. Do you have the outlet/receptacle already? Is it the GFI style?

Old 02-17-2016, 10:18 AM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
FordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to behold
Wiring it is not a problem. What amp outlet is it?

Old 02-17-2016, 10:46 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Benztechnc has a great reputation on FTE.Benztechnc has a great reputation on FTE.Benztechnc has a great reputation on FTE.Benztechnc has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by FordxFour View Post
Wiring it is not a problem. What amp outlet is it?
It's going to be a high amp outlet. Think 4 prong dryer outlet. It's for running a brew kettle. The shop has a breaker panel already, and below the breaker panel there is a electrical box with no cover. On the panel it lists that the box is 220 (i believe it is the same box as the one below) and it looks to have a double breaker in it.

The heating element for the brew kettle is from a hot water tank I believe. I think it's just as easy as taking a store bought outlet, and connecting the terminals. I just don't want to burn the shop down if I'm wrong. That would be a bad day.

I'll grab some shots at lunch to show you what all is there already.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:31 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Marty, what do you make of this?

Outlet under panel

Panel

4 wires one is un-shielded, suspect that's the ground.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:47 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
FordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to behold
Looks like they had a small piece of equipment wired or receptacle and took it with them. Judging by the breaker its a 20amp circuit. I would almost bet that the white wire isn't hooked to anything in the panel.

Does your brew kettle have a data plate? and a pic of the plug would be nice. An upgrade of the wiring and breaker may be necessary depending on the amp draw of the unit.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:19 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
No data plate on the brew kettle. It's sorta home built based on others and internet research. Here's the link where I'm getting my information. The items were also purchased through these guys.
Electric Brewery

The heating element came with a NEMA L6-30 (250VAC/30A) connector

But i plan on switching it to a standard dryer plug, since the NEMA outlet was not available at Home Depot (we don't have a Lowes in Fuquay). The idea was just to be able to plug in and use the boil kettle. If i end up needing to run wiring and such, then I won't have the setup in that location anyway, I'd have it run out closer to the door of the shop.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:33 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
If the wire from the panel is a #10 then all we need to do is to change the breaker out to a 30 amp. Then put in the receptacle, change the plug out and you're set.

The only thing I don't like about changing the plug is that if you ever get rid of it and someone decides to plug it into a 40 or 50 amp circuit. Bad things can happen if something goes wrong such as a short in the unit or cord.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:18 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Hey Marty I didn't see any marking on the wire nor could I tell what kind of panel it is. This isn't gonna be as easy as I hoped!

Old 02-17-2016, 05:27 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
The panel looks like a Square-D Homeline. Won't be a problem to check the wire size and we can change out that short piece if we need to. No Sweat...go have a beer...lol.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:43 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Home Depot...30amp HomeLine double pole breaker...SKU576433 $8.65
With GFCI..........SKU864134 $97.42

Old 02-18-2016, 09:24 AM
ncheavymetal
Postmaster
ncheavymetal has much to be proud ofncheavymetal has much to be proud ofncheavymetal has much to be proud ofncheavymetal has much to be proud ofncheavymetal has much to be proud ofncheavymetal has much to be proud ofncheavymetal has much to be proud ofncheavymetal has much to be proud ofncheavymetal has much to be proud of
Oh heck man. You already have to hard stuff in place. I thought we were going to take two 110 breakers from the panel and create a new 220 outlet. Running all the wiring and such. You just need the correctly rated breaker and the proper outlet that fits your tool/brew pub/whatever. Like Marty said if your brew pub is rated at 30 amps you need a 30 amp double throw breaker for the box. Shouldn't be too much trouble.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:48 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Sweet. I'm gonna run by HD tonight after work and see if I can find a 30 amp breaker. If I can then I'll get the shelf cleared off and moved out of the way and it'll be ready to go.

Got the breaker, it's almost identical (printing on it) to the 20 amp one there, well, accept for saying 30 amps).

Last edited by Benztechnc; 02-18-2016 at 07:11 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 02-20-2016, 08:27 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
A huge thank you to James and Marty for coming out today and giving me a hand. We got the winch off and torn apart. Found some suspect grounds, but found some major 'mud' in the the planetary gear set. James was a fantastic help with that. He took it all apart and remembered how it all went together.

It turns out, that greasing a front end takes care of a lot of noises, but in my defense, my grease gun broke four years ago, when I put the lift kit on the jeep, and it did take four years before it started making noise, and for me to but a new grease gun.

Marty made short order of the wiring, upgrading the 12 gauge to a 10 gauge, hooking up the outlet and even putting in a new breaker (while the rest of us kept saying, 'hey want us to cut power to the breaker box???' ).

My brew crew was extremely impressed in how fast the new brew setup boiled water to make beer, and we now have 10 gallons of brew getting ready to drink.

Brew crew: (ignore the bunny ears!) James left before I got the idea of taking a group shot.

and as a final note. I am sorry about the football, there will be a conversation about that happening.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official NCFTE Works Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.