Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V/Modified B codes, step-by-step

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 03:09 PM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am about to start getting everything for the v/b mod. What do I have to get. I want the taller lift so f350 blocks up front and rear? And does it matter the springs are f250 or f350. And is there anything else I need. I want it to be level to or very close to it. And when doing this is it going to make any parts wear faster?

Old 10-28-2013, 03:15 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Vince79vette
I am about to start getting everything for the v/b mod. What do I have to get. I want the taller lift so f350 blocks up front and rear? And does it matter the springs are f250 or f350. And is there anything else I need. I want it to be level to or very close to it. And when doing this is it going to make any parts wear faster?
F350 blocks are only for the rear they substitute your existing 2inch blocks giving you a net gain of 1.5 inches...

Old 10-28-2013, 03:18 PM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
F350 blocks are only for the rear they substitute your existing 2inch blocks giving you a net gain of 1.5 inches...
And I saw that some ppl swap 2 leafs and some swap 3 leafs from there old ex leafs. Is the only difference the height and how much .5in??

Old 10-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by garryk6
Thanks for the correction Stewart!
I wouldn't really call it a correction. Cary may not have been the very first person to think of it, but damn if he didn't elevate it and perfect it with all the stuff he packaged with it!

If I had the money, and needed to adjust my suspension, I wouldn't hesitate ordering from him. From EVERYTHING I've read, he's a really good guy.

Stewart

Old 10-28-2013, 05:48 PM
timf150
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

If you are going to put a modded B code in the rear with F350 (4 inch) block you will want to put the X-codes in the front so you have a more leveled look.

You could put in the V-codes but you will probably sit rear high and will end up adding a leveling kit to the front of it for it to sit level.

B-code springs can come off an F250 or F350. The only difference you will see in a b-code spring is the top overload.

Tim M

Old 10-28-2013, 09:15 PM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Originally Posted by timf150
If you are going to put a modded B code in the rear with F350 (4 inch) block you will want to put the X-codes in the front so you have a more leveled look. You could put in the V-codes but you will probably sit rear high and will end up adding a leveling kit to the front of it for it to sit level. B-code springs can come off an F250 or F350. The only difference you will see in a b-code spring is the top overload. Tim M
Thanks tim. U have helped a lot. And for the front blocks do I use the f250 or f350 or the stock ex ones and for the mod b leafs on the rear do I do 2 or 3 leafs from the ex stock leafs. I have read some with 2 and some swapping 3. Which one would be better

Old 10-28-2013, 09:59 PM
timf150
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts
Thanks tim. U have helped a lot. And for the front blocks do I use the f250 or f350 or the stock ex ones and for the mod b leafs on the rear do I do 2 or 3 leafs from the ex stock leafs. I have read some with 2 and some swapping 3. Which one would be better

No blocks for the front ....that is a big no no. You can get the X-code springs or you can add additional leafs to the v-code spring pack. I almost forgot you could also get a drop hanger for the front and use it with the v-codes.

Its the last two leafs and spacers from the Excursions original spring pack added to the B-codes.

Here is a link it may be exactly what you are looking to do with yours.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ff-diesel.html

Tim M

Old 10-30-2013, 06:14 AM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Originally Posted by timf150
No blocks for the front ....that is a big no no. You can get the X-code springs or you can add additional leafs to the v-code spring pack. I almost forgot you could also get a drop hanger for the front and use it with the v-codes. Its the last two leafs and spacers from the Excursions original spring pack added to the B-codes. Here is a link it may be exactly what you are looking to do with yours. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ff-diesel.html Tim M
Thanks man that is exactly what I was looking for. That's a huge help for me.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:03 PM
trbo50
New User
Just want to share some results from spring swap using Dayton springs from SDTruckSprings.com. I went to a local truck shop and asked for a set of F250 springs and ended up with a pair of 43-818 (equivalent of v code springs 2,630 lbs) for the front and 43-1263 (equivalent of b code springs 3,000 lbs) for the rear. The final height of the Excursion after 6 months on a 2003 4x4 7.3 ended up at 40" front and 42.5" rear from ground to middle of wheel well. I did the mod on the rear springs and kept the factory block. To retain the use of the ride-rite airbags, I had to buy a set of 2" spacers to take up the height increase. Picked up a set of Bilstein shocks from CaryT and four factory size E rated Yokohama Geolander to complete the upgrade. The ride is now "stiff" in my opinion and often you feel like your being launched off the seat going over bigger bumps at higher speeds. I'm not sure if this is due to the airbags or the combination of springs and shocks. There's a noticeable rake to the stance and will not fit into parking lots lower than 7 ft. I tried to park in the Caesars Palace parking lot in Las Vegas and ended up having to back up out of the garage and jump a couple curbs to get out. Hope this info helps.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:19 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by trbo50
Just want to share some results from spring swap using Dayton springs from SDTruckSprings.com. I went to a local truck shop and asked for a set of F250 springs and ended up with a pair of 43-818 (equivalent of x code springs 2,630 lbs) for the front and 43-1263 (equivalent of b code springs 3,000 lbs) for the rear. The final height of the Excursion after 6 months on a 2003 4x4 7.3 ended up at 40" front and 42.5" rear from ground to middle of wheel well. I did the mod on the rear springs and kept the factory block. To retain the use of the ride-rite airbags, I had to buy a set of 2" spacers to take up the height increase. Picked up a set of Bilstein shocks from CaryT and four factory size E rated Yokohama Geolander to complete the upgrade. The ride is now "stiff" in my opinion and often you feel like your being launched off the seat going over bigger bumps at higher speeds. I'm not sure if this is due to the airbags or the combination of springs and shocks. There's a noticeable rake to the stance and will not fit into parking lots lower than 7 ft. I tried to park in the Caesars Palace parking lot in Las Vegas and ended up having to back up out of the garage and jump a couple curbs to get out. Hope this info helps.
I know Stewart posted this a while back but I believe the X code springs from SDtrucksprings were lower rated then the Ford OEM X springs. Maybe Stewart can confrim this. I dont have the link on where he posted it. There was another person on here that bought X codes from SDtrucksprings and they ended up being lower rated then the F250 springs.

Found it: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ings-in-2.html Read post 66 from stewart

Old 01-12-2014, 12:39 PM
trbo50
New User
Thanks. I just edited my post. It seems the resulting lift from the spring change even with the lower rating of the aftermarket springs are higher than what I've read on many posts. Many posted a 39" front ground to wheel well measurement. Anyway, it's done and I have no plans of wrestling with the springs again but interested to know if others have experienced the same amount of lift and ride results.

Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
I know Stewart posted this a while back but I believe the X code springs from SDtrucksprings were lower rated then the Ford OEM X springs. Maybe Stewart can confrim this. I dont have the link on where he posted it. There was another person on here that bought X codes from SDtrucksprings and they ended up being lower rated then the F250 springs.

Found it: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ings-in-2.html Read post 66 from stewart

Old 01-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by trbo50
Thanks. I just edited my post. It seems the resulting lift from the spring change even with the lower rating of the aftermarket springs are higher than what I've read on many posts. Many posted a 39" front ground to wheel well measurement. Anyway, it's done and I have no plans of wrestling with the springs again but interested to know if others have experienced the same amount of lift and ride results.
If you measured from the ground than yours could be different in height because of the tires, air pressure. OP might have diff size tires or their air pressure might be higher or lower than yours. A correct measurement would be from the center of the hub to the wheel well. But I dont blame you for not wanting to mess with it again. You will have a stiffer ride with a higher spring rate and all the others that have done the swap acknowledged it. Some like it and some dont.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:12 AM
pennsylvaniabo
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Is there a factory truck spring that doesnt need to be modded? like an f350 spring? Also I assume there is no way to use the factory tender spring that rides above the main pack?

Old 01-22-2014, 12:30 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniabo
Is there a factory truck spring that doesnt need to be modded? like an f350 spring?
The B code spring was used on both the F250 and F350.

If you don't want to mod the spring, you don't have to, but if you use the V code up front, in order to keep a similar factory rake (stance) you'll have to change the rear blocks to the 3.5" tapered block.

Continuing to use the OEM Excursion block is one reason people will mod the B code springs.

Stewart

Old 01-22-2014, 01:41 PM
pennsylvaniabo
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I mainly meant a spring with either more plys or a higher rate what would be more bolt in. But from what I have read, and for what I want to do. I will prolly being taking a B code and adding at least 2 plys and a 4" block...then some bags...if needed...

And just do v code fronts.

Quick Reply: V/Modified B codes, step-by-step