Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V/Modified B codes, step-by-step

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:49 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I've read though all the V/B threads and I'm still not sure if I should go modded B's or not. I have a 2005 6.0 Limited. I have the springs and will be getting them installed soon. My last Ex was a 2003 7.3 XLT. I had radius rods and airbags with stock springs in the rear and added Vs in front. I thought the stance was pretty good, maybe a tad high in front but I believe it was better as the springs settled. Looked pretty level to me. I never did measure however.

I just measured my 2005 6.0. Right now with 159K miles the front is at 37", the rear is 38 1/4". It does have a fairly heavy brush guard on the front that I may leave on, not sure yet. At any rate, I'm not a big fan of a drastic rake. It's okay as it is, but don't want it any greater. I will be adding airbags for towing/loads so not worried about the rear sagging with weight.

Again, I've read about everything and some say it will add equal height increase all around with modded B's, that would probably be okay but don't want higher. Some also said it would make about level. The difference I think would be a gasser vs diesel with the added engine weight. If un-modded Bs would get me level that would be okay. Will also be adding 285 tires and Ranchos but I guess that's neither here nor there regarding rake.

Given this info, where do you think it will stand with modded/un-modded Bs with the stock blocks?

Thanks!
Steve

Old 10-08-2012, 07:15 AM
f150crewcab
Mountain Pass
I gained about 1" all the way around with V/modded B's (stock blocks). I'm happy with the resulting height and rake. You could always go with front X's (snow plow option) for a stiffer front end and the modded B's.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:27 AM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by f150crewcab
I gained about 1" all the way around with V/modded B's (stock blocks). I'm happy with the resulting height and rake. You could always go with front X's (snow plow option) for a stiffer front end and the modded B's.
I thought about X codes but already bought the springs, too late now. So you got about the same lift all the way around? What was your rake to begin with?

Anyone know about how much lower it would be with stock Bs as opposed to stock Ex springs?

Thanks,
Steve

Old 10-09-2012, 08:46 PM
FireHawk4
New User
Well I just finished installing V's up front on my 2000 Ex. Wow what a difference!! I went from 37" at the fender to 39 1/2"! I am sooo happy with the result. While it was apart I added Bilsteins and a new stabilizer to finish things off. Next week I will do the rear. As it sits right now I am about level with my stock rear and RAS, I hope doing an un-modded B with the RAS with keep things the way it is now. Any thoughts on where the back end will end up?

Thanks,

Jordan

Old 10-26-2013, 12:14 AM
Roscoe316
Freshman User
I'm recently new to the Ex world. Picked up an '04 Limited 6.0 PSD. I just picked up a set of B codes from a '02 F-350, and have a potential for the V codes. After reading through this thread and pieces of some other threads, I'm curious about whether or not any other parts in the suspension or steering that need to be changed to accommodate the new height (i.e. sway bar end links) shocks for a F250/350 ought to work right? Anyone still watching this thread that could chime in would be great, thanks!!

Old 10-26-2013, 12:25 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Roscoe316
I'm recently new to the Ex world. Picked up an '04 Limited 6.0 PSD. I just picked up a set of B codes from a '02 F-350, and have a potential for the V codes. After reading through this thread and pieces of some other threads, I'm curious about whether or not any other parts in the suspension or steering that need to be changed to accommodate the new height (i.e. sway bar end links) shocks for a F250/350 ought to work right? Anyone still watching this thread that could chime in would be great, thanks!!
When I did mine (2000 V10), all of the stock steering/suspension were fine...that's with V's in the front and modded B's in the back.

I've subsequently added AirLift bags in the back - still no need to change anything.

Steering is fantastic (NO wander at all anymore), no odd tire wear, tracks true.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:02 AM
timf150
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Roscoe316
As mentioned by Robert, with the v/b code upgrade you want to do, the remaining stock components of your suspension will be the parts you want to use. You will even want to use shocks from the Excursion especially in the rear since the F250/f350 rear shocks are different.

The only additional part you may want to change is the rear sway bar. If yours currently has one you may want to upgrade it to the 30mm bar from an F350. If you do not have one on your Ex, you should look into getting the Hellwig rear sway bar unless you can find a donor truck and pull all the sway bar parts from it.

Note: you will want to change out all the U-bolts holding on the leaf springs. With a modded b-code spring you will need to look into getting longer u-bolts for the rear. The front v-code springs will use the same u-bolt for the stock excursion spring.

Tim M

Old 10-26-2013, 10:11 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by timf150
Note: you will want to change out all the U-bolts holding on the leaf springs. With a modded b-code spring you will need to look into getting longer u-bolts for the rear. The front v-code springs will use the same u-bolt for the stock excursion spring.
good catch...yes, new U bolts for the rear - cheapest I've found is to have a local suspension shop bend you new ones on the spot. I added 1 1/2" to the existing height (3" total length) to the rear bolts...you can always cut off any excess with a 4" cutting wheel.

Per Ford, you should never torque U bolts more than once. I know lots of guys here re-used their U bolts...I chose to just get new ones all around. For $14 per bolt and with the $ value of the FD stuff I tow, it was worth the added expense.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:32 AM
Roscoe316
Freshman User
Thanks for the info. It had a set of Rancho 9000 series shocks on it and I'm hoping those will still work for awhile. I don't know how many miles are on them.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Crunk
Senior User
I'd like to get this done but I may have a shop do it. Roughly, what should I be expecting in labor charges from a 4x4 shop?

Old 10-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Crunk
I'd like to get this done but I may have a shop do it. Roughly, what should I be expecting in labor charges from a 4x4 shop?
I'm just guessing but I would say about $1000

Old 10-27-2013, 08:23 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Crunk
I'm thinking the labor was about $250 an axle then about the same for parts? Maybe it was $400... I could probably find a receipt.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:23 PM
garryk6
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FireHawk4
Well I just finished installing V's up front on my 2000 Ex. Wow what a difference!! I went from 37" at the fender to 39 1/2"! I am sooo happy with the result. While it was apart I added Bilsteins and a new stabilizer to finish things off. Next week I will do the rear. As it sits right now I am about level with my stock rear and RAS, I hope doing an un-modded B with the RAS with keep things the way it is now. Any thoughts on where the back end will end up?

Thanks,

Jordan
Way back when caryt came up with the Modded-B code springs, the reason was that the Stock B code springs have 3 fewer leaf springs in the pack, so are thinner. That in turn, though they are a stiffer pack, you loose about 3/4 to 1" just due to the springs being thinner. So caryt just unbolted his Ex pack, and removed the three bottom springs and center bolt, and put them on the B-code set. This leveled things out. For those wanting more height, such as the F350's have, would remove the stock Ex block that is 1 3/4" (commonly referred to as the 2" block) and replace it with the F350's 3 3/4" block (commonly referred to as the 4" block). This provides the traditional "rake" that the F350's have. Then if the height is desired, or the clearance is desired for 35"s, an F350 "Leveling Kit" is added to the front V-code springs to level the Ex out.

I went one step higher, by using Tuff-Country 5" blocks, mod-b's with the Ex slapper-bar cut off and used as a spacer. Then up front I used V-codes with a "2" add-a-leaf" in the pack and then a "2" mini-pack"on the bottom of the pack. This netted me about 4.5" to 4.75" lift to the Ex, and plenty of clearance for my 35's.

Hope this helps!

Garry in AK

Old 10-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by garryk6
Way back when caryt came up with the Modded-B code springs...
Cary didn't come up with the mod, but it is because of him that the mod is the primary choice when it comes to modding the suspension of an Excursion.

Cary was then smart enough and talented enough to successfully put together a suspension package that incorporates the springs, and offer it to the Excursion family.

It was a long time ago, and I'd have to ask him to make sure I'm correct, but I think Cary tried 3 or 4 different springs from different lift kits, trying to get his Ex to ride the way he liked. This was back when swapping in the F250 springs and blocks was becoming an accepted go-to mod to help with the handling of 4x4 Excursions.

I can't remember who first posted about modding the B's over at TDS, but I remember Cary said he was gonna try it because he still wasn't happy with the ride provided by the different lift springs he had tried, or something similar to that.

I just wish he had tried the modded B's a little sooner! I remember his glowing report and how happy he was with the mod, but it was still too "experimental" for me to try. Besides, I already had all the stuff in my garage to swap in to my Ex, including the already purchased tapered blocks.

If Cary had decided to try the modded B's sooner, I probably would have gone that route too and modded my B's too! It's Cary's fault I have the larger blocks!

The stuff Cary put together for Excursion owners is top quality. It really is good stuff. I don't have first hand knowledge, but the guys here who have bought from him have nothing but great reports for the quality of parts in the package he sells.

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 10-28-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:27 PM
garryk6
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Cary didn't come up with the mod, but it is because of him that the mod is the primary choice when it comes to modding the suspension of an Excursion.

Cary was then smart enough and talented enough to successfully put together a suspension package that incorporates the springs, and offer it to the Excursion family.

It was a long time ago, and I'd have to ask him to make sure I'm correct, but I think Cary tried 3 or 4 different springs from different lift kits, trying to get his Ex to ride the way he liked. This was back when swapping in the F250 springs and blocks was becoming an accepted go-to mod to help with the handling of 4x4 Excursions.

I can't remember who first posted about modding the B's over at TDS, but I remember Cary said he was gonna try it because he still wasn't happy with the ride provided by the different lift springs he had tried, or something similar to that.

I just wish he had tried the modded B's a little sooner! I remember his glowing report and how happy he was with the mod, but it was still too "experimental" for me to try. Besides, I already had all the stuff in my garage to swap in to my Ex, including the already purchased tapered blocks.

If Cary had decided to try the modded B's sooner, I probably would have gone that route too and modded my B's too! It's Cary's fault I have the larger blocks!

The stuff Cary put together for Excursion owners is top quality. It really is good stuff. I don't have first hand knowledge, but the guys here who have bought from him have nothing but great reports for the quality of parts in the package he sells.

Stewart
Thanks for the correction Stewart!

I was over at the TDS site back then too, with my brand new 05 PSD Ex. I had already ordered my Land-yots, as I was towing right off the bat with my Ex, and it was a white-knuckled driving experience. This was before Cary had done his Ex, so I guess I remembered wrong about who did it first. But I remember many PM's between him and I as I collected my parts to do the V/B swap on my 05, even before I had 15K on it!
Thanks again!
Garry

Quick Reply: V/Modified B codes, step-by-step