Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally! New X/C code springs in!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 05:28 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
I got to take the X to deer camp yesterday and loved every minute of it! The drive down was very pleasing, but was really impressed with the way it rode on the dirt roads. As far as 'washboard' DIRT roads, keeping the speed down, I was impressed to say the least. No jarring. Once in camp. Much more of a stable feel to the truck on uneven ground. No more excessive rocking, just a firm bounce. Did not have to use 4WD, not that type if terrain yesterday. I did find a 'pop' that I am going to have to investigate. It is coming from left front, rear spring hanger. Maybe, I forgot to torque that one all the way. Finally got Photobucket to upload bump stop pics. Here they are installed. Look at the clearance. You will find nothing like this with a stock setup.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:49 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by golfmedik
I got to take the X to deer camp yesterday and loved every minute of it! The drive down was very pleasing, but was really impressed with the way it rode on the dirt roads. As far as 'washboard' DIRT roads, keeping the speed down, I was impressed to say the least. No jarring. Once in camp. Much more of a stable feel to the truck on uneven ground. No more excessive rocking, just a firm bounce. Did not have to use 4WD, not that type if terrain yesterday. I did find a 'pop' that I am going to have to investigate. It is coming from left front, rear spring hanger. Maybe, I forgot to torque that one all the way. Finally got Photobucket to upload bump stop pics. Here they are installed. Look at the clearance. You will find nothing like this with a stock setup.
Nobody claims to but for those who like the softest ride, x codes are not the answer, which is why I will go to the little longer front shackles. I doubt that you will ever bottom out and most of that bumper space is not needed.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Does anybody have the Ford part number for the C code springs for a 4x4 w/o overload spring? I will try and use my local dealer if he can give me a good price so I dont have to pay shipping from either Tousley Ford or SDsprings. I have the X code part # as 2C3Z-5310-AF, is this one correct?

Old 09-16-2012, 05:45 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by robbragiel
Does anybody have the Ford part number for the C code springs for a 4x4 w/o overload spring? I will try and use my local dealer if he can give me a good price so I dont have to pay shipping from either Tousley Ford or SDsprings. I have the X code part # as 2C3Z-5310-AF, is this one correct?
I am not sure but if you go to SDTruckspring.com and look up the number I have in the earlier post, the Ford number should be in the window in the ad. I would double check it though when ordering.
Monty

Old 09-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I'll look at that again, thanks Monty

Old 09-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by EXv10
Nobody claims to but for those who like the softest ride, x codes are not the answer, which is why I will go to the little longer front shackles. I doubt that you will ever bottom out and most of that bumper space is not needed.
I guess you are right if you have a 2wd street queen. But a 4x4 vehicle needs at least that much space to allow for axle articulation.

wishing for a soft soccer mom ride is why these things require fixing. If I can get that 2005 I'm looking tomorrow then I'm swapping in Superduty springs immediately.

Every single X I've looked at over the past few months has had 1" to 5" max clearance. I can't imagine how badly those things bottom out in an off camber situation.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:48 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tylus
I guess you are right if you have a 2wd street queen. But a 4x4 vehicle needs at least that much space to allow for axle articulation.

wishing for a soft soccer mom ride is why these things require fixing. If I can get that 2005 I'm looking tomorrow then I'm swapping in Superduty springs immediately.

Every single X I've looked at over the past few months has had 1" to 5" max clearance. I can't imagine how badly those things bottom out in an off camber situation.
Not really, my 4WD Ex rarely bottoms out and it only has 3/4" clearance at the bumpstop so it's not a problem. It has soccer mom springs and works just fine. (I've had my share of rough rides). If you guys like a rougher ride and sitting higher more power to ya. I don't like it.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:16 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by EXv10
I certainly didn't want to lift a truck that had those unstable springs. Hitting diagonal railroad tracks or anything that made the truck's weight shift any other way other than directly front to back, was getting dangerous. The ride was not soft at all! And I didn't realize just how much I was fighting the truck while driving. NO, mine did not have all the wander that others have talked about because my steering box is fine. For now. But it did have the bump steer caused by the rear and extremely hard bounces in the front (before and after the bump stops crushed and fell out). I am only posting to show what I did with my truck and giving people my findings. You mileage may vary. Leaving the springs in was not an option for me any longer as my family travels with me a great deal. I would gladly do it again tomorrow. And yes, I took the guys on this and other forums word that the truck would improve. Obviously you don't. I also wanted there to be some kind of bump stop in there in case I ever did compress the springs and I've seen how well the Ford ones held up which is specifically the reason I went with aftermarket ones. Put your longer shackles on and good luck. I hope it works for you. But as for myself and many others, we are now enjoying driving a fantastic truck with a suspension that we know is sound. As you've already seen, most do not choose X codes as I did, but a few have. And we are happy with them and that's all that matters.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:55 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by golfmedik
I certainly didn't want to lift a truck that had those unstable springs. Hitting diagonal railroad tracks or anything that made the truck's weight shift any other way other than directly front to back, was getting dangerous. The ride was not soft at all! And I didn't realize just how much I was fighting the truck while driving. NO, mine did not have all the wander that others have talked about because my steering box is fine. For now. But it did have the bump steer caused by the rear and extremely hard bounces in the front (before and after the bump stops crushed and fell out). I am only posting to show what I did with my truck and giving people my findings. You mileage may vary. Leaving the springs in was not an option for me any longer as my family travels with me a great deal. I would gladly do it again tomorrow. And yes, I took the guys on this and other forums word that the truck would improve. Obviously you don't. I also wanted there to be some kind of bump stop in there in case I ever did compress the springs and I've seen how well the Ford ones held up which is specifically the reason I went with aftermarket ones. Put your longer shackles on and good luck. I hope it works for you. But as for myself and many others, we are now enjoying driving a fantastic truck with a suspension that we know is sound. As you've already seen, most do not choose X codes as I did, but a few have. And we are happy with them and that's all that matters.
You're happy, I'm happy, it's all good.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:15 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
if my F350 only had 3/4 of an inch clearance id drive that rat into a tree! No way i could drive it ever day and try to go hunting and driving through plowed fields, down dirt lane's, driving through a field to pick up a deer with no travel at all in my suspension. How do you pull into parking lots, driveways with only 3/4" and not have the spring hit the bump stops??? My springs flex more then that on a daily just driving around....

Old 09-17-2012, 02:16 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
so golfmedik, how's the ride with the c-code's? I'm sure the payload and towing have greatly approved with them?

Old 09-17-2012, 03:55 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
if my F350 only had 3/4 of an inch clearance id drive that rat into a tree! No way i could drive it ever day and try to go hunting and driving through plowed fields, down dirt lane's, driving through a field to pick up a deer with no travel at all in my suspension. How do you pull into parking lots, driveways with only 3/4" and not have the spring hit the bump stops??? My springs flex more then that on a daily just driving around....
No problem, it only bottoms when I hit a speed bump or sharp dip too fast and I slow for them but when I put the 1 1/2" shackles in it will be PERFECT.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:04 PM
bigwhitetruck01
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the results that golfmedik got from that setup. If i had to do it all over again, i'd probably go that route. I did V's and a ProComp add-a-leaf in the rear. Had to add a +1" shackle in the front to even out the rake. Overall i'm happy with the ride quality but I'M sure i'd like the ride of the X-codes. Gained about 3" all around too so the Ex even looks a bit tougher too.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:33 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
so golfmedik, how's the ride with the c-code's? I'm sure the payload and towing have greatly approved with them?
The ride is incredible. I do have the rear a tad lower than the front, but I expected that as I carry some heavy stuff with me. I've not had a chance to tow anything yet. I expect it to be much better. Overall the thing that impresses me most is the stability of the truck. The truck stays flat and no bounce that I had before. No body roll at all and drives with no struggle. Truly a pleasure to drive. If I keep the X loaded like this, I may add the F250 blocks. But without the weight in the rear, I believe it would be way too high. I should've listened to all you guys and had this done long ago.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:37 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
a guy who lives a few houses frommy G-pop bought a super nice 2005 tan limited a few weeks ago and he talks to me like everday now about what to look out for problem wise. I gave him parts numbers for V codes and new Bcodes and he had the local dealer do the install. For new front and rear springs, new ubolts andnuts, and to have the two bottom springs removed from the stock rear leaf spring and added to the new bcode cost him acool 1,100.00!!!!! I told him i would do thejob for 400 but he said his wife wanted it done by a Ford tech, but anyways they look ssssssooooooo much better in person after this mod. Im gonna ask him to take me for a ride cuz i want to compare it to my F350 now

Quick Reply: Finally! New X/C code springs in!