Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 03:30 PM
WE3ZS
Received 852 Likes on 589 Posts
Originally Posted by inthedirt
I paid $75 for my wireless at a parts store about 7-8yrs ago. Has worked flawlessly between 3 different vehicles during this whole time.
Most decent wireless cameras do work over certain distances, but in my case the camera on the rear of my TT will be about 55' from the dash mounted screen. I think that I will eventually go with a wired unit.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:24 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
We think we will be looking for a newer TT after this year. Ours being 14 years old is just starting to accumulate too many little problems quickly now. We can't afford new but will probably look for the same 2-4 years old like we did with our current one. It has been a great TT for us!

I am thinking we would want a bit shorter trailer, maybe around 20-22' but with at least one slide out. I for sure don't want any sort of fabric type "slide outs", all hard sides.

I also plan to do quite a lot of preventative maintenance on this one right off the bat. Stuff I know went bad on our current one but could have been avoided with some work. The biggest one is I would like to sheet over the entire bottom with a hard plastic instead of just a tarp type material stapled to the bottom.

I am curious though, like with vehicles and rust, is there a region better than others to look in for a good used TT?

Old 07-20-2019, 11:56 AM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Certainly no soft slides... some national parks don't allow them (Bears).

Old 07-20-2019, 04:55 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,159 Likes on 566 Posts
I'm not too sure area of the country makes much difference in RV condition. It's rare that they would be out in the salty crap anyway. To me, covered storage is the absolute best thing one can do to prolong the life of an RV. Just a carport type roof over it's head makes a huge difference, something more enclosed even better. I am spoiled with mine staying indoors all the time, but it is 7 years old (2013) and looks like new aside from the rock chips on the nose from traveling. My grandparents bought a trailer new in 1993. They quit camping in 96, but that trailer sat out in the brutal New Mexico sun but under a carport like roof for over 20 years and the outside looked fantastic. The small investment in a roof will pay for itself quickly.

So look for a used trailer that was stored indoors. Then put it under a roof.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:44 PM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
I'm partial to Northwood products. HD frames and most trailers come with off road package.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:26 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
I appreciate when you guys post your camping pics ! I like seeing what others see / do on their camping trips, as well as campgrounds (or boondocking) in other parts of the country.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:53 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by DavenTn
I'm partial to Northwood products. HD frames and most trailers come with off road package.
Super hard to find on the East Coast. I believe there are 3 dealers, Atlanta, PA and Ohio. I would like to see one of their 5th wheels in person.

Old 07-22-2019, 01:01 PM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic

2007 27F Northwood Nash

Old 07-22-2019, 09:57 PM
ArmyRover
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Took our 24’ travel trailer to Hilton Head Island RV Resort for a 3 day weekend. Had a great time and loved using the Ex as our tow vehicle instead of my Land Rover. It did a great job and was much better suited to the job.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:48 AM
WE3ZS
Just a reminder for the EX camper people and maybe news for those who don't venture out of the EX forum here on FTE.
This looks to be growing and it would be great to have some more EX folks there. I've met several EX forum members already and each one has been a great guy in real life, this will be an opportunity to meet some new friends that we already know! @Excurvelle and I will be there, hopefully a few more EXers can make it too!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...next-year.html

Old 07-23-2019, 09:59 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks for the link Tom!

We just got in (a week or so ago) from a FTE GTG out in Yellowstone. It was a great time! I am going to keep tabs on that thread and see where it goes. We don't have a whole lot of free time in summers.

On our way back from Yellowstone we stayed a night in the badlands:

Old 07-23-2019, 11:49 AM
inthedirt
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm heading to Bear Lake, Utah this coming weekend. Want to go play in the warm, turquoise water with the family and looked into our options. I don't have the rear hitch mounted on the Baja yet, so I cannot triple tow with the boat for the time being. I prefer to boon, but I'm not familiar enough with the area to risk it when its 6hrs away. Campgrounds (yuk!) are pretty much booked, too expensive, and have too many restrictions. Best I could do is 2 nights at a campground when we want to stay 4-5 nights. Also, renting a boat down there, or anywhere for that matter, is also stupid expensive. So, I made the executive decision to have us stay in a motel that is also pet-friendly. This way, we can drag our boat down there and play all we want for just gas/oil money. Once down there, I'll investigate the area a little more and see where we can safely boon away from others and still remain somewhat close to the beaches. Anyone been there before and can give some advice?

In preparation for our trip, the boat is getting some much needing rejuvenation. Its a 1969 Silverline Deville with the original '69 Merc 100hp outboard. When I say original, I mean it......soft floors, "aged" seats, and a tired outboard. Still, she's been in my family since new and gets comments/questions every time we take her out! For safety sake, I'm tossing a new axle and hubs under the trailer so that we don't have any bad luck on the drive (been there, done that, and rollover accidents suck!!). Also, I don't wanna burn my bald head anymore, so I'm tossing on a new bimini. Lastly, the bright orange will get a good scrubbing and waxing before we leave. Here she is.....

Old 07-23-2019, 12:51 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by inthedirt
I'm heading to Bear Lake, Utah this coming weekend. Want to go play in the warm, turquoise water with the family and looked into our options. I don't have the rear hitch mounted on the Baja yet, so I cannot triple tow with the boat for the time being. I prefer to boon, but I'm not familiar enough with the area to risk it when its 6hrs away. Campgrounds (yuk!) are pretty much booked, too expensive, and have too many restrictions. Best I could do is 2 nights at a campground when we want to stay 4-5 nights. Also, renting a boat down there, or anywhere for that matter, is also stupid expensive. So, I made the executive decision to have us stay in a motel that is also pet-friendly. This way, we can drag our boat down there and play all we want for just gas/oil money. Once down there, I'll investigate the area a little more and see where we can safely boon away from others and still remain somewhat close to the beaches. Anyone been there before and can give some advice?

In preparation for our trip, the boat is getting some much needing rejuvenation. Its a 1969 Silverline Deville with the original '69 Merc 100hp outboard. When I say original, I mean it......soft floors, "aged" seats, and a tired outboard. Still, she's been in my family since new and gets comments/questions every time we take her out! For safety sake, I'm tossing a new axle and hubs under the trailer so that we don't have any bad luck on the drive (been there, done that, and rollover accidents suck!!). Also, I don't wanna burn my bald head anymore, so I'm tossing on a new bimini. Lastly, the bright orange will get a good scrubbing and waxing before we leave. Here she is.....

Runabouts are awesome. My first boat was a 1965 Texas Maid, rebuilt it and used it in salt and fresh water come to think of it, I even proposed to my wife in it. I am glad to see you are keeping a classic a float.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:46 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,159 Likes on 566 Posts
Delaware state park near Columbus. Nice to come midweek when it's relatively empty, just out until Thursday.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:27 AM
WE3ZS
That looks pretty sweet Eric, From what we have seen on our visits to Columbus the Delaware OH area seems nice.
We are scheduled to head out to Lake Milton/Berlin Lake KOA in Ohio this weekend, just for Fri/Sat/Sun to meet up with our son who will be coming in from Columbus.
At this point it looks like starting in September I will have more time to get away on weekend trips, the refinery is closing and I will be jobless. Lots to think about.

Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!