Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Crewcab Only Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 12:34 PM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
Received 188 Likes on 135 Posts
Figured I would post a few pictures of my new to me 79 Crew Cab....driveline details in sig....currently has 12" of lift but I am going to take 3" of spring out of it to correct shackle angles and soften the ride.

It was more of a show truck than a driver...I am going to correct all those issues and make it a (hopefully) reliable family vehicle. It did make the 600 mi ride home without issue knocking down 8.25mpg avg. I expect to get that up to about 10mpg with some tuning.

On the way home for a dinner break:

Name:  CrewinIL_zps73e32283.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  96.3 KB

Cleaned up:

Name:  crewside_zps85bfa083.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  115.8 KB

Next to the wifes Sante Fe to give perspective on size:

Name:  crewandsantafe_zps2a9bb150.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  61.6 KB

Pretty happy with the interior:

Name:  crewfrontinterior_zpsf2986a1a.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  119.7 KB

Anybody know this truck by chance? I found one picture of it online that was taken in maybe SC a few yrs back......

Old 09-09-2014, 12:55 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
Nice, very nice. What about taking the 3" body lift out instead, or is the roll cage attached to the frame? And if you can't, at least make some front bumper brackets or doing the front frame rail end cut/raise trick?

And maybe getting some correct mirror brackets for it ? Those are as wrong as 2 cousins behind the wood shed. lol

I would drive it for sure, so how does the high steer set up handle?

Old 09-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
That is a sweet *** ride. Nice find. What state did it come from and what did u give for it if u don't mind me asking? That's at least a 12.5k truck if not more. Any other info on it?

Old 09-09-2014, 01:52 PM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
Nice, very nice. What about taking the 3" body lift out instead, or is the roll cage attached to the frame? And if you can't, at least make some front bumper brackets or doing the front frame rail end cut/raise trick?

And maybe getting some correct mirror brackets for it ? Those are as wrong as 2 cousins behind the wood shed. lol

I would drive it for sure, so how does the high steer set up handle?
I want to keep the wheels/tires. I can only take 3" max out of the lift. I am not going to take the body lift out because of what I stated in the first post:

Originally Posted by somethingclever
....currently has 12" of lift but I am going to take 3" of spring out of it to correct shackle angles and soften the ride.
I would prefer to raise the front bumper however bumper height restrictions in my state will keep me from doing such.

I agree on the mirror's...how someone can screw that up is beyond me....however they will stay because I would rather have the wrong mirrors than two random holes in the middle of my doors.

The truck has a ton of bumpsteer....I am going to check out why once I get the time...likely not until this winter.

Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
That is a sweet *** ride. Nice find. What state did it come from and what did u give for it if u don't mind me asking? That's at least a 12.5k truck if not more. Any other info on it?

Thanks....i bought the truck out of Illinois but i believe it was an east coast truck...it certainly is not rust free southwest....the truck has bondo and previous repairs and the paint job is a 10 footer. However, it has alot of expensive things on it too. (wheels and tires would cost 5k alone and they had 200 miles on them when I picked it up) I have been looking for 8 months for one and been watching ebay to check market values. I feel it is likely an 18k truck...especially considering the red crew on ebay that just went for 15k. I know mine is significantly nicer than that.

But at the end of the day...it's only worth what someone will pay.

To give a frame of reference:

There was a baby blue crew on ebay recently that only went up to 15.4....however it was listed last year and went up to 22.5....also I missed out on a white one in cali that was bid to 17.5 but did not make reserve..called 2 hrs after auction ended and was sold for 21k outside of ebay after the auction ended.

I think ppl that put 30k into their trucks and sell them for 15k are nuts.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:02 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
Originally Posted by somethingclever
bumper height restrictions in my state will keep me from doing such.

I would rather have the wrong mirrors than two random holes in the middle of my doors.
Enforced bumper height laws...bummer.

I agree too, guess they can be fixed when the 10 ft paint job is fixed, right?

Can we get a pic of the roll cage to frame tie in, please?

And let us know what the issue is with the high steer/bump steer is or at least what you do to fix it.

No offense meant, still a very nice looking and very different set up rig, that's for sure.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:14 PM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
Enforced bumper height laws...bummer.

I agree too, guess they can be fixed when the 10 ft paint job is fixed, right?

Can we get a pic of the roll cage to frame tie in, please?

And let us know what the issue is with the high steer/bump steer is or at least what you do to fix it.

No offense meant, still a very nice looking and very different set up rig, that's for sure.

If i have the truck long enough to need a repaint, I would absolutely get the correct mirrors and fill in the holes...yes. I knew they were wrong before I bought it but wasn't a deal breaker for me.

The roll cage is tied into the floor and not the frame. Another one of those "show" deals.

No offense taken....just answering your questions.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:59 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the same front seat setup in my crew, made by Kustomfit (later changed names then went out of business) The very oversize cup holder holes suck!

Truck looks great in the pictures!

Why not build a custom plate style bumper in order to satisfy both the height gaps and the lift laws?

Old 09-09-2014, 06:42 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 09-09-2014, 08:40 PM
Stephen Dazey
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
somethingclever - you are dead on, on the $$ as of lately. Looks like we were chasing most of the same crew cabs. The red truck was in Idaho if I remember correctly and the blue was a split grill, '76, up northeast somewhere.

I too have the same kind of paint job on my truck... mine maybe a 20fter though... and I am working on my interior first, then paint if something else doesn't come up.

That is definitely a sharp truck you have there... congrats!

Old 09-10-2014, 07:09 AM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
I have the same front seat setup in my crew, made by Kustomfit (later changed names then went out of business) The very oversize cup holder holes suck!

Truck looks great in the pictures!

Why not build a custom plate style bumper in order to satisfy both the height gaps and the lift laws?

Thanks for the info on the seats....this truck has matching ones front and rear...I am definately happy with them but what size COGO's cup did they use to design those cupholders......must've been a Big Gulp 44 ouncer! I do like the smart phone holders built in...that is pretty trick.

Oddly enough, the gray 79 in my sig also has a Kustomfit seat that I scored from a local add paper, and it is very well made.

Do you know what company bought them out or what the new name is?

A custom bumper is a good idea...

Thanks for the compliment.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:17 AM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Stephen Dazey
somethingclever - you are dead on, on the $$ as of lately. Looks like we were chasing most of the same crew cabs. The red truck was in Idaho if I remember correctly and the blue was a split grill, '76, up northeast somewhere.

I too have the same kind of paint job on my truck... mine maybe a 20fter though... and I am working on my interior first, then paint if something else doesn't come up.

That is definitely a sharp truck you have there... congrats!

Thanks Stephen - I probably have been watching the market on crews for longer than I previously said...likely over a year. It seems like they have gone up almost 50% since watching them.

And of course the restored (well) ones are in the low-mid 20's....which still is a bargain to me....new CC F250's cost 60k and lose value everyday.

The nicest truck I "missed" was a red 72 crew 4x4 in pacific northwest that was done very well....Romuel (sp?) bumpers front and rear with built in winches front and rear, dual batteries, 428, 4-sp, turn key...everything was professionally done. It went for 28k and the owner had 50k in it. That was a couple yrs ago....I called about a week after it sold.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:46 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
If memory serves. Kustumfit became Surefit then went out of business.

Phone holders?

I like the flip up seat bottom in the middle, the storage there is great to throw the 45 in if going somewhere I can't carry it.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:21 PM
79B4mytime
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1979 Ford f350 CREWCAB FOR SALE!!!

I have a 1979 f350 crewcab longbed 2wd truck for sale

460 motor

3.54 rear axle

Dana 70 rear

4speed manual

Runs and drives great, no mechanical issues

Rebuilt motor around 10,000 miles ago.
I also have patch panels for rear fenders

I have an extra bed from Arizona that is rust free that can be included

Clean title

Front brush guard not included

Flowmaster mufflers and dual exhaust out the tailend.

Very rare truck, both rear door panels are in PERFECT shape, and all you crewcab guys know how hard it is to find them.

I am asking $5,000 for the truck itself and $5,500 to include the rust free bed.
I am movable on price if you have CASH

I came here because you all appreciate these crewcabs as do I. And I want it to go to a good loving home. I am selling it because I am only 16 and I am looking for a more practical daily driver for someone my age. There is nothing wrong with the truck and I would drive it just about anywhere.

You can contact me at 717-490-9201 I prefer text because I don't always answer calls right away, but I will try to get back to you as soon as possible. Please, only serious buyers.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:48 PM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
If memory serves. Kustumfit became Surefit then went out of business.

Phone holders?

it.

Thanks for the info.

There are three slots router'd into the wood neAr the cup holders. Perfect size for smart phones and iPods. I assume that was the intent.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:06 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Kustomfit went out of business before cell phones were common place.

Quick Reply: Crewcab Only Thread.