Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 06:21 PM
MTP55
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What would fuel in oil look like? Bought the truck, oil was a bit high after a shop changed it from previous owner. I changed it, thought I had it right, was a bit high. So I got under it and pulled the plug a little to drain it down into operating level. I'll see if it goes back up.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:13 AM
MTP55
More Turbo
My oil level is going​ up but I have all my coolant. Also do not have smoke out tailpipe, reduced mileage or power. Is it possible that I'm still getting fuel in the oil without those symptoms?

Old 06-09-2017, 06:21 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I don't know that fuel in oil would 'look' like anything, unless you had dye in it it would be tough to tell without an analysis. Maybe the smell of diesel in the oil. Usually it's oil in the fuel because high pressure oil overrides fuel pressure. I don't know where fuel comes into contact with low pressure oil. Maybe it does somewhere around the injector.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:35 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 596 Likes on 388 Posts
Send an oil sample to Blackstone, they'll tell you.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:04 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Blackstone is a good idea. They will tell you how much fuel is in your oil, if any.

The only way I can see fuel getting in the oil is internally in the injector, and then it gets spit out with the oil to drain back into the pan.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:58 AM
MTP55
More Turbo
I ordered the sample kit from Blackstone this morning. Is it unsafe to drive this truck pending results? Like I said there's no other symptoms that I can tell.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:07 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
You can remove the passenger side valve cover with removing anything else. You just have to turn the valve cover until you find the correct path lol.
I remove the oil filler neck from the valve cover and it comes out with very little issue.

Originally Posted by andym
You just have to get something to unscrew it. There are a bunch of different styles of fuel filter lid.
This is what I have:
Amazon Amazon

Old 12-30-2017, 08:16 AM
MTP55
More Turbo
This past week I've noticed a knock noise of the passenger side of the engine. Everyone I ask seems to think it's just normal 7.3 noise. But it is noticably louder than the noise my bosses truck makes. Sometimes it dies down as the truck gets warm. It has been between 5 and 9 degrees lately. From looking on here and other videos is sounds like an injector knock. Unless I'm being paranoid again. So my question is, what could an injector knock hurt?

Old 01-02-2018, 11:20 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
***Disclaimer - I am not a certified mechanic/technician in any way, shape, or form. I am merely someone who enjoys the feel of a combination wrench in my hands (and drinking beer)***

My official un-official response...it depends. There are different possible causes and depending on what is causing the issue will drive how bad (if at all) it could get.

I had the 'knock' for years. To my untrained ear some of the noise went away when I tightened the injectors but some remained. Loose injectors can cause problems (damage injector, cup, o-rings). When I ruled out other things I chalked it up to the injector itself. I wasn't interested in shimming it as I was sure with my high mileage that I was asking for trouble if I pulled the stick out of the hole. My injectors were still running well when I pulled them at 305K due to o-ring issues.

If you've checked that the injectors are seated correctly, the rocker pedestal bolts aren't loose, and that there's no fluids going where they shouldn't (oil in fuel - black fuel filter, something floating on top in the coolant overflow tank) then it shouldn't be much of an issue IMO.

As a preventive measure I would check under the valve cover for issues (bolt torques) to make sure everything's seated and tight. Here's a couple of good threads on that if you're considering the evolution:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...que-specs.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ve-covers.html

Picture of the bolts to check from the above thread:

Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
MTP55
More Turbo
Thank you for that response. I'll get it in the shop as soon as I can and pull the covers off to see what I've got. I added some cleaner in yesterday, not sure if it does anything but what the heck.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:55 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
I hope that solves your issue. A little time consuming but free if you do it yourself and already have the tools.

FWIW here's my story with the buzzing. I definitely recommend torquing them when the engine is 'hot' (normal operating temperature):

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ing-sound.html

Old 01-04-2018, 08:37 AM
MTP55
More Turbo
I have a question that someone on here would probably be able to answer. I was perusing the Riffraff site last night for kicks and was reading the descriptions on the different code injectors. I was curious as to what the differences are between the normal code injectors and the AC code ones were? I think that's the right code. They were in a high torque version of the 7.3. Someone left a review saying they "really woke the truck up." Has anyone put them in their truck? If so what are the differences in power, fuel economy and the like. Just curious. Thanks.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:43 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,478 Likes on 2,861 Posts
AC codes are 160/0 and as you probably already know they are a popular choice in injectors. Although, most in the know go with a 160/80 because the cost increase is not much, but the customization increase is a lot.

Does this make sense?

Old 01-04-2018, 08:51 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Another big difference is how they work. The AC injector was never available in Ford powerstrokes, but was in International engines. It is a single shot injector, where ours are split shot, for emissions. If you switch to the AC's, or any single shot injector, you will need tunes for proper operation.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:57 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,478 Likes on 2,861 Posts
Below is a thread that I started when I was extremely confused on injectors. Some good information about them if you have time to skim through it a bit.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ad-aa-etc.html

Quick Reply: Injectors