General Diesel Discussion  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerstroke upgrade! Engine swap started..

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chicagodragon
I decided that I don't need power rear windows that bad. Everybody I know has arms, They can crank them
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... I will give you that one! LOL! I wanted to skip as well, but I got some mighty powerful influences telling me to go all the way! Grrr! LOL

Old 09-27-2010, 09:54 PM
chicagodragon
Postmaster

if i ever run across a deal on all the goodies, ill reconsider. but for now,iam good

Old 09-30-2010, 11:00 PM
chicagodragon
Postmaster

i finally got off my lazy behind and wired in the rear door locks. while i was at it... i decided to wire the running board lights to come one with the unlock mode on my keyless entry, and normal with the running lights

Old 09-30-2010, 11:25 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Interesting! Thats handy! How did that wire up go for ya?

I just got out to peak at things on my end as well.. Didnt get anything done as its still a little too warm, but its starting to cool. I am gonna have to pull the dash again and get the AC controls worked out. I did find the diesel tank selector switch, so I will peer into that matter, and get it all buttoned up.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:40 PM
chicagodragon
Postmaster

were the selector switches different from gas to diesel? i just used $3.00 worth of diodes from radio shack for the running boards, now they light up with the dome light or the running lights with no interference from each other. when i get around to it, iam gonna have the roof lights do the same thing

Old 10-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Apparantly so! The wiring harness leaves little to screw up when it comes to the controls in the headlight switch area.. There were only two connectors on that harness arm, the headlight and fuel tank selector.. I connected up the headlight switch with no issues, but when it came time for the tank selector switch it wasnt connecting at all. The harness connector is a few millimeters smaller then the tank selector swtich back.

SPEAKING of issues.. can you help me out with an easy one? LOL! MAP's.. Yeah.. in my infinate wisdom, I removed all the components off of the firewall in order to repaint it (that scusting seafoam green needed to go), I got it all done and started putting things back on.. Well, in the midst of all that, I took the MAP off of the firewall and set it down in a box of components.. Guess what? I also had the original Gasser MAP in the box.. they are damn near identical!!! Part number is the only difference.. Can you find the part number on yours and shoot it to me? No rush.. But I keep forgetting to mention that! LOL!

I am really interested in this parking light/running light diode operation you have going on.. What type of diode did you use?

Old 10-01-2010, 07:48 PM
chicagodragon
Postmaster

ill get the number later. i have a selector switch from the IDI, do you want it?

Old 10-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Oooo... Cant turn one down! LOL! I will PM ya!

Old 10-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Shawn63200
Junior User
love this thread. I've got a 97 F250HD, CC, 4x4, 460. Looking at doing a diesel swap myself eventually. There are a lot of areas you may really appreciate that 4x4 swap up north in this state

Not for sure on the regulators for the rear doors, but the motors are listed as the same front and back for mine. I'm in Phoenix and have decent access to some of the yards around. There is an all-Ford yard about 43rd Ave and Indian School that has a very good selection of front and rear old-body style doors to make reference of. Also had at least one crew cab XLT that had the wiring harness in it the last I saw. A lot of the goodies were gone from it, so the shell may still be there, my be abe to get it for a decent price. He's a little higher on some things.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Shawn63200
love this thread. I've got a 97 F250HD, CC, 4x4, 460. Looking at doing a diesel swap myself eventually. There are a lot of areas you may really appreciate that 4x4 swap up north in this state

Not for sure on the regulators for the rear doors, but the motors are listed as the same front and back for mine. I'm in Phoenix and have decent access to some of the yards around. There is an all-Ford yard about 43rd Ave and Indian School that has a very good selection of front and rear old-body style doors to make reference of. Also had at least one crew cab XLT that had the wiring harness in it the last I saw. A lot of the goodies were gone from it, so the shell may still be there, my be abe to get it for a decent price. He's a little higher on some things.
Shawn, I have been very curious about the yards out here in Phx. I havent had the chance to get out to any of them yet, but planned to! I did however hit one out in Wittman that had soem neat stuff!

Let me know when you are ready to get yours started! Its a worth while project!

PS: You go to the Arizona Section here, right?

Old 10-14-2010, 12:19 AM
chicagodragon
Postmaster

hey chris, did you decide if you need the selector switch or not? or any other goodies?

Old 10-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
I did find a selector switch in the pile of parts I had around, which I about fell over when I realized I had it! I went and cross referenced the MAF sensor numbers, found out which one was the old gasser one, and which one was the diesel model, so thats installed.

All that is stowed on now. I finished with the fine details on the dash. I do have a couple connectors left that I will post pics on and see what we find out that they are, but other then that everything in-cab is finished!

I have been working on the engine bay wiring now. Thats going nice and smooth. I should have some pics up this afternoon on that!

Old 10-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
And some more pics...

So here are a couple of the pics I just took. More to follow of course!

The drivers side engine bay here.. I also had to swap out master cylinder with the PS model as it has CC, where mine didnt. Fun thing is, this is a factory recall part, and the VIN wont add up at the dealership! Guess this is my out of pocket expense, LOL!

And yes BTW, I know the relay is on the wrong fender, LOL.. I just needed to put it somewhere it wouldnt get lost!

Here is inside the cab! I know I have some cleanup to do, and other items of the list of update and upgrade.. But it is done!

Old 10-14-2010, 04:36 PM
chicagodragon
Postmaster

i thoght you were going to power windows

Old 10-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
They are! Well.. The wiring, switches and connectors are all done.. All thats left is that I am waiting on the delivery of the regulator for the passenger side, still! I have the drivers side, and its all installed. I was going to wait to do them until I had juice flowing, but figured I could work around dead connects. And it has!

What you are seeing with the pass side, is that I still have the manual regulator in. I already ran the switch and wires, just have them inside waiting. I will go get a pic of the drivers side..

Update: Got the pic..

I have some extra bolts to run through to hold the motor up, but other then that, it went smoothly. I had to disconnect the harness in one location, begin by running it through the driver side door, along the firewall, out the firewall on the passenger side next to the heater box. Then the second section I had to run through the passenger door, door jam, and up to the heater box, where they could reconnect. Those rubber boots were fun to man-handle through the jams to BTW! But as you can see it is done, just waiting on the Passenger PW Motor. The door locks are super simple! There are already factory drilled holes in the door for them!

Quick Reply: Powerstroke upgrade! Engine swap started..