General Diesel Discussion  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerstroke upgrade! Engine swap started..

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 08:43 AM
merlynr
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those rims are sought after by people with older 1 tons that still have split rims.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:40 PM
workmank
New User
hey i know its a odd request but could you do me a favor and measure your 7.3 before you set it in i got some good frame and body measurements from a f-250 and a 97 expedition at pull-a-part but neither had engines in them i was looking for a expo that didn't seeing as i have a 4.6 in mine and really don't need to know how big it is just how much room i have and i could not find one for the life of me that had enough still intact to know anything from. and do you know much about the 6.0 and if and what the main differences between the 7.3 and 6.0 turbo diesels are. Thanks and keep up the good work. on a side note i got measurements of 29in on the f-250 and 30in on the expo frame to frame at engine and 33in f-250 at 40in on expo at trany mount. with 48in f-250 and 46in expo from cross member to trany mount. most of my other measurements are a little gray cause i really don't know what i am doing i have measured most of the rest of the engine compartment but am finding it difficult cause i don't really know where to base my measurements from. thanks again.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:02 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Midwest Dually

This has been the sight I have been waiting for!

(No worries, new rims after its all done! LOL)
hey see my wheels?
(check garage to see more pics.)
they are just like yours.just stock salvage yard scores/used budd rims.
in case your interested,these stainless steel covers only set me back about $150 shipped.lifetime warranty to never rust or even dull.
pm if interested,i'll send ya the link.

your doing a nice job! keep it up!been following every step.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:11 AM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by workmank
hey i know its a odd request but could you do me a favor and measure your 7.3 before you set it in i got some good frame and body measurements from a f-250 and a 97 expedition at pull-a-part but neither had engines in them i was looking for a expo that didn't seeing as i have a 4.6 in mine and really don't need to know how big it is just how much room i have and i could not find one for the life of me that had enough still intact to know anything from. and do you know much about the 6.0 and if and what the main differences between the 7.3 and 6.0 turbo diesels are. Thanks and keep up the good work. on a side note i got measurements of 29in on the f-250 and 30in on the expo frame to frame at engine and 33in f-250 at 40in on expo at trany mount. with 48in f-250 and 46in expo from cross member to trany mount. most of my other measurements are a little gray cause i really don't know what i am doing i have measured most of the rest of the engine compartment but am finding it difficult cause i don't really know where to base my measurements from. thanks again.
Yeah, I can definately get the ol' tape out and get some measurements for you! No prob.. Glad you did ask this early!

Old 07-04-2010, 02:17 AM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
hey see my wheels?
(check garage to see more pics.)
they are just like yours.just stock salvage yard scores/used budd rims.
in case your interested,these stainless steel covers only set me back about $150 shipped.lifetime warranty to never rust or even dull.
pm if interested,i'll send ya the link.

your doing a nice job! keep it up!been following every step.
I have given those some serious consideration in the past, and still open minded to them as well! I seen those simulators on ebay and they are not too badly priced. If I cant get my hands on the rims, I will most likely go that route!

Thank ya much! Progress would be much faster but I am making sure I try to keep this project as tight and right as possible! I hate those gremlins coming up later and biting, lol!

Old 07-06-2010, 12:22 PM
73FordF100
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome thread! Subscribed!

Old 07-15-2010, 05:26 AM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Thank ya!

Just for FYI and update.. Not much lately! It will change soon, just waiting for temps to come down at night a little more. Lately the lows have been lower 100's late at night, and the shop isnt forgiving! LOL! I should have something new and exciting soon!

Old 07-28-2010, 04:59 AM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Finally got a break in the weather that it isnt cooking outside or inside the shop! Got the dash out of the truck and started on the under dash wiring!

I kept the dash from the donor truck cause it didnt have a crack in it and am going to swap it out with mine. I fixed the crack last year but it came back. Everytime I am running across washboards, the passenger side of the dash wants to walk away! LOL! Found out the heater assembly had one of the mounting holes broken out completely, so I will be swapping that out as well.. Pics tomorrow!

Old 08-16-2010, 10:15 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so hows she coming? I imagine those ohh so pleasant Arizona august days are really helpful!!

Old 08-17-2010, 05:37 AM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Steve, thats about the truth! I did have a good run of temps for a day or two not long ago, enough that I could step into the shop without boiling, and got the dash out of the truck.

The dash in mine was cracked, and had some broken brace holes that would cause the dash to vibrate on dirt roads. Since I needed to swap wiring, I am going ahead with replacing the dash too. I did get the firewall moddification done, so the aftermarket DP fits nicely!

Temps should be coming down soon, then I will have tons more progress to share! I will see if I can snap some shots of the dash work and get them up! LOL

Old 08-17-2010, 05:50 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So when you starting the project for adding better ventilation to the shop?

P.S. just finished reading the entire thread, great writeup and very nice pics. Conversion is coming along beautifully.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:17 PM
chicagodragon
Postmaster

i cant belive i havent noticed this thread before. as you know, midwest, i am doing an IDI to powerstroke conversion. i finally got the engine out this past weekend and the wiring out yesterday. i plan to start taking the engine and wiring out of the IDI this weekend and at least get the powerstroke and tranny set in after i change fuel lines.
donor truck.

future powerstroke

by the time i am done, i will have enough stuff left over to mak a running 97 IDI truck, but there is no wat that i am doing 2 conversions

Old 08-18-2010, 08:26 PM
chicagodragon
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Midwest Dually

Exhaust.. Big challenge! Of course the kitty and muffler will be deleted, but still.. I have a 3"DP already (made firewall fabbrication to accomodate), but the rest was up in the air. I thought about a short pipe coming out before the rear wheels, but I dont like the ground clearance issues of a 4" piped hanging under the frame. I finally decided to go with stacks. I am not really impressed with the prices I am finding for the Y-pipes and under bed components. The stacks themselves I found for a great deal, but the rest is too expensive, so I have to do some planning for that.
i had the same problem when i did my stacks, i thought it was too expensive too buy the kits. i ended upbuying some 90's and pipe and welding it together myself for about half theprice.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Well we are about on the same page then with progress! LOL! I have wiring all over the place in the shop from the dash! LOL! Sounds like you have a hella project going on there too.. You will have to keep us up to speed and include some of your nightmare pics of disaster as well! LOL!

So you are PS that white CC? Nice! I want to see how that goes! I remember the deal you got on it when you first bought it too.. Thats gonna be a sweet truck! And I thought you knew about this pesky swap of mine? LOL!

Shaun..... Shop ventilation.. Umm yeah.. after it cools off! LOL! Thanks for the kudos.. its been fun and challenging!

Old 08-20-2010, 07:53 PM
chicagodragon
Postmaster

i knew about your swap, but i always thought you were done. you definitaly have more work. BTW, do you know if the frame wiring for the rear is the same?tail lights, fuelvalve,fuel gauge, etc...

Quick Reply: Powerstroke upgrade! Engine swap started..