1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Progress ... hanging sheetmetal!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 04:22 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I could not even comprehend a project of this scale let aloan doing it with the craftmanship that was for the most part lost years ago, but here you are precision in all aspects of everything. It just goes to show old world craftmanship is alive and well. Thank you on so many levels, it not only gives me hope in this world of throw away products, but inspires me to up my game. And thank you for takeing the time to share your work with us all.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
I could not even comprehend a project of this scale let aloan doing it with the craftmanship that was for the most part lost years ago, but here you are precision in all aspects of everything. It just goes to show old world craftmanship is alive and well. Thank you on so many levels, it not only gives me hope in this world of throw away products, but inspires me to up my game. And thank you for takeing the time to share your work with us all.
Wow- couldn't have said it better myself! Agree 110%!

Old 10-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bman1080 - would love to see a pic of the 55 could you post a pic?

Underthebridgejim - thanks so much for your nice comments. Its guys like you and other FTE members who have encouraged me along the way to keep the project going when honestly there have been times I have wondered what have I got myself in to.

This truck has inspired me so much that I have started my 2nd book ( 1st one was on the Chicago Fire Insurance Patrol - chicagofirepatrol.com)

The title is "My Grandfather's Fire Truck"

I have close to 7 thousand words written and and over 200 photos of its history and the restoration. The book will come out shortly after the truck is done.

"This is a story about a fire truck; my grandfather’s fire truck and its sixty year existence. From its building and delivery to the Chicago Fire Insurance Patrol, to its thirty year run in the fire service and finally, in my possession thirty-two years after my grandfather’s death."

Thanks again guys and stay tuned for major progress.

Keith

Old 10-30-2011, 10:12 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Can I buy a signed copy?

Old 10-30-2011, 10:44 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Sure no problem. There is a on-line book printing company called Blurb. You can google them. They are a print on demand book publishing company unlike my first book where I had to buy 1000 copies which cost me & my book co-author over 20K(which was a great deal for a 400 page hardcover book with color pages). We split the order and I have around 160 copies left. I sold copies all over the world. Some went to New Zealand, Portugal and the UK. Most were sold in the Chicago area since it was a Chicago based theme.

If you buy it from Blurb it won't be signed. I will buy some for myself and family and friends which I will sign so you can get one of those.

Thanks for your interest

Old 11-01-2011, 05:29 AM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Took apart the seats and removed the outer skins. It was interesting to find out that the original seats were green ( my favorite color). You would figure they would be black like the rest of the interior. What was amazing to me was the original seat makers tag still attached to the back of the seat and a quick google check revealed they are still in business after 100 years!! Here is the info from their website: "
Our History

It was 100 years ago that Hyman Freedman began making seat cushions for horse-drawn buggies. He knew his craft well, and was awarded a diploma of honorable mention for the 1892 Columbian Exposition in Chicago for his skill in upholstery. A century later, the tradition continues. Freedman Seating Company is still a family owned-and-operated business committed to meeting the highest standards in the industry. Today FSC employs over 300 people and is one of the nation's largest specialty seating manufacturers.

I contacted the company to see if they would be interested in some photos of their seats still in a fire truck after 60 years. No response yet. I didn't see any similar fabric sample on their site.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Fire Patrol
Took apart the seats and removed the outer skins. It was interesting to find out that the original seats were green ( my favorite color). You would figure they would be black like the rest of the interior.

I didn't see any similar fabric sample on their site.

Thats just way too cool... Hope you can find the orig material. They may have records about making these seats for the truck. If their is a phone number I would give them a call.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Moe,

I sent one of the owners an email yesterday with pics and asking about the material. Hopefully they will have some but I kinda doubt it after 60 years but who knows. Did you notice how the material was attached to the wood? Old fashioned nails no stable gun.

Keith

Old 11-01-2011, 11:08 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Awesome restoration. You are doing a fantastic job.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Moe,

I sent one of the owners an email yesterday with pics and asking about the material. Hopefully they will have some but I kinda doubt it after 60 years but who knows. Did you notice how the material was attached to the wood? Old fashioned nails no stable gun.

Keith
Keith, I did notice that. Looks great hope you clean and use the same style to redo it!

Old 11-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Thanks Guys!!

Old 11-01-2011, 05:58 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,938 Likes on 1,878 Posts
Sure no problem. There is a on-line book printing company called Blurb. You can google them. They are a print on demand book publishing company unlike my first book where I had to buy 1000 copies which cost me & my book co-author over 20K(which was a great deal for a 400 page hardcover book with color pages). We split the order and I have around 160 copies left. I sold copies all over the world. Some went to New Zealand, Portugal and the UK. Most were sold in the Chicago area since it was a Chicago based theme.

If you buy it from Blurb it won't be signed. I will buy some for myself and family and friends which I will sign so you can get one of those.

Thanks for your interest

You are doing and excellent job and I'd like to support you a bit also,
I too would be interested in a signed copy of your book. When you get finished with the 2nd book I would also like a signed copy of that one if possible.

Bobby

Old 11-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Bobby,

Thanks for your support. My first book was finished in 2007 and I still have copies left. The books sell for $40 but for FTE members they are $25(my cost)+$5 shipping. Here is my website for the book:

History of the Chicago Fire Insurance Patrol

Thanks,

Keith

Old 11-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Worked on the driver's door today. Fits 100% better now that the frame was modified. Tomorrow all the body work will be done so we can hang it.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
This is going to be amazing!

Quick Reply: Progress ... hanging sheetmetal!!