2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Transmission Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:25 AM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by saboola
carbonmetallic : Do you have any idea if they performed TSB 755 on your truck when you had all that work done? I am wondering if what you had done is what I am having done, and the tech is just having a hard time explaining it.
I dont know which tsb they performed, it was the newest one at the time. The dealership had my truck for 3 days, took one day to find the problem, one day to order and receive parts and one day to fix.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:40 PM
witenight1
New User
Hi all... Couple quick notes on TSBs...

"Oasis" is Ford's Technical Service System, available only to Ford employees. It is, along with their printed tech manuals, the service bible... Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) are generally internal memos to let service techs (at dealers) know about things which have been found to be problems by Ford corporate tech types. They are generally numbered sequentially, with the year being first, and will supercede prior TSBs which are related... For instance, regarding the 1-2 upshift/downshift issue: the TSBs 07-4-8 addressed if first - but not successfully. Then it was superceded by 07-8-11, which helped, but was also not fully successful. Then there was 07-14-2. It has not been yet superceded, and I'll get it done tomorrow morning and find out if it FINALLY addresses the issue. TSB #07-5-5, which arrived after 07-4-8, but before 07-8-11 is related to transmission issues, but is not exactly the same - and is a MUCH more drastic fix as you've all read...

And yes, Ford is having a tough time getting their 6-speeds to shift properly - on EVERY vehicle which has one... From Explorer to 500 to (now) Expedition. Good luck to us all in our fixes...

Old 10-16-2007, 06:26 AM
saboola
New User
Originally Posted by witenight1

"Oasis" is Ford's Technical Service System, available only to Ford employees. It is, along with their printed tech manuals, the service bible... Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) are generally internal memos to let service techs (at dealers) know about things which have been found to be problems by Ford corporate tech types. They are generally numbered sequentially, with the year being first, and will supercede prior TSBs which are related... For instance, regarding the 1-2 upshift/downshift issue: the TSBs 07-4-8 addressed if first - but not successfully. Then it was superceded by 07-8-11, which helped, but was also not fully successful. Then there was 07-14-2. It has not been yet superceded, and I'll get it done tomorrow morning and find out if it FINALLY addresses the issue. TSB #07-5-5, which arrived after 07-4-8, but before 07-8-11 is related to transmission issues, but is not exactly the same - and is a MUCH more drastic fix as you've all read...

And yes, Ford is having a tough time getting their 6-speeds to shift properly - on EVERY vehicle which has one... From Explorer to 500 to (now) Expedition. Good luck to us all in our fixes...
witenight: Thanks for the post, it answered quite a few questions I had. I got my Expedition back yesterday, and so far it seems to not be having the problems it had (I say so far, since I have not really had a chance to put it through its paces, it only started happenning after sitting in bumper to bumper). They did indeed perform TSB 07-5-5 according to the work invoice. I am crossing my fingers, and am just glad to have my truck back . I will probably retroactively buy the 100k bumper to bumper, since I think this tranny is going to see a few more issues prop up. As for the other vehicles, does the Explorer use the same 6R75 as the Expedition? I think the 500 uses some form of 6F?

Old 10-16-2007, 09:51 AM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
witenight: Thanks for the post, it answered quite a few questions I had. I got my Expedition back yesterday, and so far it seems to not be having the problems it had (I say so far, since I have not really had a chance to put it through its paces, it only started happenning after sitting in bumper to bumper). They did indeed perform TSB 07-5-5 according to the work invoice. I am crossing my fingers, and am just glad to have my truck back . I will probably retroactively buy the 100k bumper to bumper, since I think this tranny is going to see a few more issues prop up. As for the other vehicles, does the Explorer use the same 6R75 as the Expedition? I think the 500 uses some form of 6F?
I am with you, I am going to purchase the 100K warranty as well.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:47 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are we looking at a possible future recall?

Old 10-16-2007, 11:18 AM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
Originally Posted by berry1234
Are we looking at a possible future recall?
i doubt it, its hard enough getting ford to own up to the fact there is a problem.

If there ever is a recall it will probably be about 10 years down the road and most of us wont have the truck any longer

Old 10-16-2007, 11:33 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by carbonmetallic
i doubt it, its hard enough getting ford to own up to the fact there is a problem.

If there ever is a recall it will probably be about 10 years down the road and most of us wont have the truck any longer
It's sad when the techs all know about this yet Ford acts like it is a rare occurrence.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:34 AM
saboola
New User
Originally Posted by carbonmetallic

To quote the great Fight Club:

Narrator: A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.
Business woman on plane: Are there a lot of these kinds of accidents?
Narrator: You wouldn't believe.
Business woman on plane: Which car company do you work for?
Narrator: A major one.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:43 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
To quote the great Fight Club:

Narrator: A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.
Business woman on plane: Are there a lot of these kinds of accidents?
Narrator: You wouldn't believe.
Business woman on plane: Which car company do you work for?
Narrator: A major one.
Ahh, the moto for so many businesses. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, don't it?

Old 10-16-2007, 07:52 PM
poppie
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

.......................... "NOT" every one of them,our 2007 eddie bauer is going on 19,000 mile's,NO PROBLEM'S what so ever with the trans, aircondtioning , brake's, nothing,this truck has been 100%,you guy's ought to go for a buy back/lemon law or what ever it take's to get out from under the pos expedtion's you have including tradeing them in ,no one should have to be that unhappy and have the issue's your having,a new truck should be fun to have and drive,our's is a joy and we bought a rental return with 14,000 mile's on it,you would think if anyone would have issue's it would be our's being a rental return with every tom,dick and harry behind the wheel,we were worried about that and that's why we took a two hr test drive and it ran and drove so smooth we bought it,they did throw in a free powertrain warrantee tell november 2012 or 100,000 mile's which ever come's 1st and that made the deal,they are "NOT' all bad!!!!!!!!.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:18 AM
saboola
New User
So far so good after the TSB, I am having no issues thus far.

poppie : Good luck getting Enterprise third party warranty company to honor that powertrain warranty. I had a 2003 Ford Taurus that can attest to that fact. Never again do I buy a rental return, nothing but problems. Hope your luck goes better than mine.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:23 AM
poppie
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

poppie : Good luck getting Enterprise third party warranty company to honor that powertrain warranty. I had a 2003 Ford Taurus that can attest to that fact. Never again do I buy a rental return, nothing but problems. Hope your luck goes better than mine.
..............Sorry but our's is through Ford motor company,we bought our truck from a ford dealer, "NOT" a rental car company,our's went through the ford "certified program" and ford gave us the Nov 2012/100,000 mile warrantee,comming up on 5000 mile's for us and 19000 mile'stotal and all is good,one would think if issue's were to come they would have showen up by now,we traded in a 10 year old explorer we bought new and it never cost us a dime,same with our 2002 F 350 PSD,traded in a 1990 F 250 diesel we also bought new and also NEVER had any issue's with it, anyone can get a lemon,guess we have just been lucky,I'll take the gamble on a $42000.00 truck getting it for $29000.00 and the ford warrentee.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:45 PM
saboola
New User
Thumbs down

TSB 7 5 5 did not fully fix the problem after a week. After driving in stop and go traffic for a while, the engine will once again rev high before changing gears, it is quite loud. This bites.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:12 PM
Petrol
Elder User
I just bought a used '07 Carbon Matallic Limited . . . 20k on the clock

It seems to be fine thus far

Old 10-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Newton007
Senior User
Good luck with your 07!

Quick Reply: Transmission Problems?