2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Transmission Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 08:35 AM
scarface78
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carbonmetallic
a good friend of mine has one of those QX 56, really nice truck, interior is amazing, exhaust sounds good, but his is a piece of ****, it is in the shop more than he drives it.

Also how can you compare a $60,000 truck to an expedition. I can buy two of my 07 expeditions in the time you get your one infiniti.
Well actually I paid for my $56,000 with everything, and from what I've seen if I would want Expedition to have all the whistles that my Infiniti has I would have to pay for it around $50000-$53000 so its not that big of the difference for me. Also I usually pay off every car that I buy in 2-3 years I never take car loan for 5 years its pointless to pay all that extra %. I just gave them $30,000 downpayment so $26,000 its not big of the deal. Also my has already 8000 miles on in and so far had not one problem or RECALL ... which of course I can't say about Ford already has Recalls. From what I can tell you my 2000 Expedition with only 76000 miles on it when I trade it in was nothing but problems I would expect more from $45,000 car. Lets put it this way in the time that I had the car ... which was SERVICED every Three Months at FORD DEALERSHIP and never towed a trailer or been put to heavy use i went thru: 2 Air Compressors, Radiator, 2 Front Differentials, Transfer Case, Rear End Differential, Ball Joints went out at 35,000 miles, Upper Engine Gasket, Number 8 Injector, Alternator. Even dealer said that I just didn't have a luck with this car since they knew this car was not heavy used. Once they where joking I should have my own parking spot at their Dealership.

1 record found for 2007 FORD EXPEDITION

Recall Number: 05V310000
Date: Jul 13, 2005
Component:
TIRES:TREAD/BELT

Summary:
ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, THE FRONT AND REAR TIRES ON THE DRIVERÂ’S SIDE OF AFFECTED VEHICLES MAY HAVE BEEN DAMAGED AT THE CENTER TREAD DURING PRODUCTION.

Consequence:
OVER TIME, THE DAMAGE MAY BE SUFFICIENT TO ALLOW BELT CORROSION ULTIMATELY LEADING TO A TREAD SEPARATION, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT ALL FOUR TIRES (TO ENSURE INSPECTION OF THE LEFT HAND SIDE TIRES THAT MAY HAVE BEEN ROTATED TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE VEHICLE) FOR TIRE TREAD DAMAGE AND, IF NECESSARY, REPLACE THE DAMAGED TIRE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JULY 13, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673.

Manufacturer:
FORD MOTOR COMPANY

Potential Number of Units Affected: 10061

Old 07-22-2007, 02:29 AM
limmerguy
New User
Originally Posted by scarface78
Well actually I paid for my $56,000 with everything, and from what I've seen if I would want Expedition to have all the whistles that my Infiniti has I would have to pay for it around $50000-$53000 so its not that big of the difference for me. Also I usually pay off every car that I buy in 2-3 years I never take car loan for 5 years its pointless to pay all that extra %. I just gave them $30,000 downpayment so $26,000 its not big of the deal.
Thank you for sharing how fortunate and well-off you are... I'm sure everyone here absolutely loves reading about it.

Your horror stories with the 2001 expy (or was it 2000? you really need to make up your mind when posting) sound, well, horrible. With all the things you had replaced, I'd say the truck was in an accident. If it's of any significance to you, my aunt has a 2001 Lincoln Navigator and the only problem it's had is a faulty cd changer. Also, my uncle and I both drive 2002 F150s (similar platform). The only problem we've run into is a faulty DPFE sensor (on mine) which was replaced free at the dealership. Ford's reliability isn't as shoddy as the picture you're painting is.

Also, I don't know who's fault this is, but why does the aforementioned recall have a date of July 13, 2005??? Some google searches show this as a 2006 year model recall... just a heads up for people who care

Getting back on topic... I'll be taking our expy (purchased in January) in for a reprogramming next week. I'm eager to know how different it'll feel after it's done. Will report back like many have done to share my thoughts.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:32 PM
scarface78
Junior User
Originally Posted by limmerguy
Thank you for sharing how fortunate and well-off you are... I'm sure everyone here absolutely loves reading about it.

Your horror stories with the 2001 expy (or was it 2000? you really need to make up your mind when posting) sound, well, horrible. With all the things you had replaced, I'd say the truck was in an accident. If it's of any significance to you, my aunt has a 2001 Lincoln Navigator and the only problem it's had is a faulty cd changer. Also, my uncle and I both drive 2002 F150s (similar platform). The only problem we've run into is a faulty DPFE sensor (on mine) which was replaced free at the dealership. Ford's reliability isn't as shoddy as the picture you're painting is.

Also, I don't know who's fault this is, but why does the aforementioned recall have a date of July 13, 2005??? Some google searches show this as a 2006 year model recall... just a heads up for people who care

Getting back on topic... I'll be taking our expy (purchased in January) in for a reprogramming next week. I'm eager to know how different it'll feel after it's done. Will report back like many have done to share my thoughts.
Sorry about that it was 2000 ... and I am not saying all Fords are like that ... all I said I am glad I got rid of my ... since it was nothing but problems ... and no it haven't been in accident. I bought it brand new from the lot with 3 Miles on it ... it was just I guess BAD LUCK.
And like I said I am not saying that all Fords have problems but just look at this FORUM and HUNDRED of THREADS about problems with EXP.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:52 PM
poppie
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by scarface78
Sorry about that it was 2000 ... and I am not saying all Fords are like that ... all I said I am glad I got rid of my ... since it was nothing but problems ... and no it haven't been in accident. I bought it brand new from the lot with 3 Miles on it ... it was just I guess BAD LUCK.
And like I said I am not saying that all Fords have problems but just look at this FORUM and HUNDRED of THREADS about problems with EXP.
2000, that's "7" model year's ago,not the same trans,4 speed then/6 speed now,anyone can get a lemon,kind of odd,one of my staff had a 99 and kept it for 180,000 mile's before trading and only did normal maintance on it,had no issue's what so ever.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:38 PM
Newton007
Senior User
Cool 2007 Expedition transmission problems

Yes My 2007 Expedition 4x4 has the same problem. Even from a full stop there is a lurch as the transmission starts out in what seems to be third or second gear then down shifts to low. For a new $40,000 SUV it sure seems odd and a pain in the neck. Instead of a nice smooth take off as you would expect, you get this strange "lurch".
My 94 Bronco,s E4OD automatic transmission worked flawless and very smooth for 100,000 miles and never did this even once in 10 years.

I am going to take it to the dealer and if I have to, keep taking it back to the dealer until,it is fixed.
This transmission is programmed using a computer program so there is NO reason this can't be reprogramed to work correctly.
If everybody took their Expedition back and complained Ford would get on the stick and fix the problem. For a new state of the art six speed computer controlled automatic transmission, this problem is a engineering BLUNDER!!

Old 07-22-2007, 10:43 PM
poppie
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Newton007
Yes My 2007 Expedition 4x4 has the same problem. Even from a full stop there is a lurch as the transmission starts out in what seems to be third or second gear then down shifts to low. For a new $40,000 SUV it sure seems odd and a pain in the neck. Instead of a nice smooth take off as you would expect, you get this strange "lurch".
My 94 Bronco,s E4OD automatic transmission worked flawless and very smooth for 100,000 miles and never did this even once in 10 years.

I am going to take it to the dealer and if I have to, keep taking it back to the dealer until,it is fixed.
This transmission is programmed using a computer program so there is NO reason this can't be reprogramed to work correctly.
If everybody took their Expedition back and complained Ford would get on the stick and fix the problem. For a new state of the art six speed computer controlled automatic transmission, this problem is a engineering BLUNDER!!
guess i'm one of the lucky one's and bought our 2007 eddie bower used,a rental return,got the oasis and all it was in for was a seat belt buckle malfuction and a bad battery,it has over 16000 miles on it and it's flawless,got a FREE power train warranty tell nov 2012 or 100,000 mile's and saved close to $10,000.00 off list,a no brainer for us,were happy and every thing work's,no shift issues here.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Newton007
Senior User
Ok, I took the two week old 07 Expedition to the Ford dealer today and they worked on the transmission:
Reprogram TCM module per TSB07142.
.9 hours $65.88 covered under warranty so no (direct) charge to me.

The service manager said it was a "common problem".
Common problem? Ford just got billed $65.88 to repair it then of course this is passed on to the buyer of the car through higher prices for a new car. Someone has to pay for it, so guess who.
They could not fix this (common) problem at the factory?
Anyway now the 07 shifts through the gears the way it should, 1 through 6.
So (for now) the transmission seems to be working as it should or at least like I think it should.
Will keep you all posted if it goes haywire again.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:12 PM
poppie
More Turbo
Ok, I took the two week old 07 Expedition to the Ford dealer today and they worked on the transmission:
Reprogram TCM module per TSB07142.
.9 hours $65.88 covered under warranty so no (direct) charge to me.

The service manager said it was a "common problem".
Common problem? Ford just got billed $65.88 to repair it then of course this is passed on to the buyer of the car through higher prices for a new car. Someone has to pay for it, so guess who.
They could not fix this (common) problem at the factory?
Anyway now the 07 shifts through the gears the way it should, 1 through 6.
So (for now) the transmission seems to be working as it should or at least like I think it should.
Will keep you all posted if it goes haywire again.
Gezzzz,they fixed your expy,be happy already

Old 07-30-2007, 10:30 PM
Newton007
Senior User
Yes Poppie I agree I should be happy and in my personal life I am very happy. But when it comes to new cars like this 07 Expedition that cost me two years pay at my income level, to have a new SUV that was sold to me with a known "common problem" I think I have a right to complain.
So with this in mind I am not shy to go to the dealer and B***h and B***h until the problem is corrected. Should this or any other problem surface during the warranty, that's right I will be down at the dealer B***hing and B***hing until it works correctly. It seems in todays world this is the only way anything gets resolved as the customer service of the old days for the most part is long gone.
Now it's the squeeky wheel that gets the grease.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:50 PM
scarface78
Junior User
Originally Posted by poppie
Gezzzz,they fixed your expy,be happy already
Don't get me wrong I had Fords all my life ... The Infiniti QX56 that I bought is my first not American Car, which I got because I finally ended up being fed up with constant Recalls and constant visits at Dealership.
See that is one of the problems why American automakers are going bankrupt. They stop making cars to last long time ago, I think its a job security for them when customer comes back with problems at least once every two months ... but in a long run it backfires.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:09 AM
Newton007
Senior User
I have always owned Ford products since 1967, but today I am starting to wonder why?

Old 08-04-2007, 03:19 PM
poppie
More Turbo
Yes Poppie I agree I should be happy and in my personal life I am very happy. But when it comes to new cars like this 07 Expedition that cost me two years pay at my income level, to have a new SUV that was sold to me with a known "common problem" I think I have a right to complain.
So with this in mind I am not shy to go to the dealer and B***h and B***h until the problem is corrected. Should this or any other problem surface during the warranty, that's right I will be down at the dealer B***hing and B***hing until it works correctly. It seems in todays world this is the only way anything gets resolved as the customer service of the old days for the most part is long gone.
Now it's the squeeky wheel that gets the grease.
my 2 cent's,most people like to be treated like they are "HUMAN'S", sometime's they push back when they feel like they are being treated like a dog,"THE DEALER DID NOT BUILD YOUR TRUCK",why would you yell/scream and stamp you feet at them, might have worked with mom and dad but not in the real world, "KINDNESS" goes a long way and may just get them to go the extra mile for you if you keep it civil ,in my campground i go that extra mile for civil folk's,but get in my face or staff or other camper's face's and your outa here AND other camper's have "THANKED ME" for doing it.

Old 08-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Newton007
Senior User
Yes, the dealer did not build the truck, but the dealer billed Ford for the warranty problem caused by Ford. Do you see the problem? The manufacturer is shifting their problem during the SUVs manufacturer to the the owner. The owner then has to "deal" with the dealer.
Now the dealer has to "deal" with the the owner of the SUV with the problem thanks to some one at Ford that did not care. As a result there is no one else to take the problem to other than the dealer. So as a result the owner is left to "deal' with the dealer and their "service" department.
It is the dealer and their service manager that makes the call if "they" want to repair the problem or not, as well as if there "is" a problem in the first place.
Sure being "nice" works , but only to a point. Try nice first for the first few visits to the dealer with the same warranty problem.
But then after about the third try I find that the only way to resolve the issue is to resort to B***hing until they solve the problem.
It is odd that the problem that could not be repaired before while being "nice" is all of a sudden fixed like magic once they figure out you are not going away until it is repaired.
Also some dealers service departments of course are better than others. Some go out of their way to help you, while other's could care less.
Here is something too. Many dealers now do not sell or service just one manufacturers line of cars and trucks. Many technicians in their service departments do not get the factory training they should as they may have several different manufacturers schools to attend each year. The problem is with the time available to do so and do their work too.
So if a dealership sells and services several different brands of cars and trucks their service staff really may not know how to solve the problem.
I think sometimes then the service manager may, instead of saying " I don't (actually meaning his staff don't know) how to fix the problem, try to hide the fact and just blow you off with a bunch of BS just to get you out the door and not have to deal with it.

An example: The dealers (Ford and two other different brands sold and serviced at this location) service manager where I took my 07 Expedition to repair the (common problem) transmission that Ford did not repair at the factory, told me up front that "we don't have anyone here trained to work on a 07 Expedition transmission" "if the transmission requires any more than a reprogram, you will have to take it to a big dealer 200 miles away to have it repaired" Well at least the guy was honest and not try to give out a line of BS as I have gotten in the past from some other service managers.

To "be treated like human's" works both ways.

Last edited by Newton007; 08-04-2007 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:40 PM
witenight1
New User
Just a note on the topic at hand: Ford has for some time now been trying to serve two masters in the programming of their transmissions - CAFE (read: mileage) and performance. Anyone who doubts this should drive an '05 V-8 Explorer and CVPI back-to-back. The differences are quite enlightening... That said, they know they are having trouble getting the 6-speeds to shift correctly for "all" conditions, and are continually updating the programming of the engine and transmission control modules (TCM/ECM).

I bought an early Job 2 SWB XLT 4x4, and suffered the same issues described herein. When 07-8-11 came out, I jumped on it to get done. My dealer was hesitant - citing my tire-size change as contributory, and that they would have to "diagnose the problem first, in order to get paid"... Don't give up, and as a last resort - go to another dealer and get the lastest ECM/TCM flashes done - they're improvements, period.
After 07-8-11, there was improvement - noteworthy - but not gone, and getting worse after 1500 to 2000 more miles. I look forward to getting 07-14-2 "diagnosed" and performed, and will post the results herein... cheers.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:18 AM
wnix
New User
07 EXpedition EL shifting problems

I have had all of these same problems with my new 07 EL. It's a shame for a $46000 car to drive like it does. It is constantly jerking and sputtering in the gears and several times, I have almost been in the middle of an intersection trying to get across and it hesitates, causing me to have to slam the gas to get it to go adn avoid being hit by oncomoing traffeic. I have 130000 miles, we bought it last December. I have had it in the shop once, only to find out that it is a common problem with these models. They programmed the computer and it was much smoother, only for a couple of weeks. I have not taken it back in due to the incovenience of being without my vehicle. I am to the point of wanting it fixed 100% or bringing up the Lemon Law. This is my 3rd Expedition and was supposed to be my last for a while. I just get so annoyed and exhausted driving it, it has a mind of it's own. Thank God for the plush interior of the EB, it makes it more comfortable but still frustrating. Anyone at the point of frustration that I am?

Quick Reply: Transmission Problems?