Roll Call - - -

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 06:08 PM
j wright
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitch C and Reg Wal....
Thanks I had heard that the 40 thru 47 were the same but was not sure the info was correct. THANK YOU it should help a bunch.
John

Old 05-16-2004, 05:50 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Say j, I'm fairly sure that there is a minor difference between the 40 and 41 cab, and the 42-47, in that the mounting point for the hood is different. I am also fairly sure that the difference can be fairly easily cured.

Old 05-18-2004, 02:50 PM
Cliffy
New User
Nice to find a good forum on these 'tweener Fords! As a kid growing up on our farm in Alaska one of the many vehicles my dad owned was a '64 Ranchero. I loved that car! All growed up and living in California (SF bay area) now and found a fairly nice little '64 of my own. I plan on a v8 and disk brake conversion SOON so I'm giving advance warning now. Hope you all don't mind if I pick yer brains! =P

Old 05-30-2004, 06:15 AM
40hotrod
New User
Hi, Everyone!
We're Guy & Sheri, and we purchased our '40 pickup pretty much as you see it in our gallery just over a year ago. Guy's first car (>40 years ago) was a '40 Deluxe coupe that had belonged to his grandparents. About two years ago he started looking for another one to be his daily driver. He found this pickup on the Web 3 months before he went to look at it (Sheri liked it right away, but Guy was focused on the coupe). When he finally decided to take a peek, the search was over! Now Guy gets his hands dirty with all the little things that go along with owning a flathead in a basically stock body and chassis. Sheri? She likes to be seen about town at breakfast on Sunday morning!
Best wishes to all! And thanx to Carlene for kicking off this thread!

Old 05-30-2004, 01:56 PM
40 PICKUP MAN
New User
i found a guy in delaware who is a great help, i just returned from picking up a hood and rear fenders. His name is gary Mensinger 302 994 4940, he has a lot of parts.
John Vaughan

Old 05-30-2004, 02:30 PM
mitch_c
Junior User
John,

Thanks for the reference...!

Old 05-30-2004, 08:41 PM
40 PICKUP MAN
New User
i have a 40 deluxe hood and a couple of deluxe grille, all are in so so condition but for a driver maybe someone is interested. does anyone have 40 pickup grille, glove box door or seat riser for sell or trade?

Old 06-04-2004, 09:48 PM
47coeman
New User
Hi Im skip in northern California working on a 41 and 49 COE need someone out there to give me some direction on what a 41 vin # looks like---------

Old 07-23-2004, 08:54 PM
Dodge41
Senior User
Ok here we go.............Name is Kevin and I'm in Georgia. I got too many projects and not enough time, so they are: 1939/40 Plymouth pickup, 2 1946 ford half tons, 1949 ford pickup, 1967 ford pickup, 1976 ford courier, 1984 mazda b2000 and finnally, 2004 chevy colorado 5 clyinder 5 speed. :::whew, just to many::

Old 07-24-2004, 11:03 AM
cjgeorge2012
New User
Desire

Hello. I'm Chris. A friend of mine left a note on the windshield of a 1946 Ford 1 1/2 ton flatbed with a hippy house built on back about a year ago. This truck has been seen around the area for years and stirred all sorts of local romantic curiosity. The house part looked like a covered wagon with canvas stretched over it. The note said, "If you ever want to sell this, give me a call."

A few weeks ago my friend got a call. A young woman's mother (with a major drug and alcohol problem) had been living in the housetruck for a couple of years. The poor woman had married the man who who put the thing together about 15 years ago. They fell in love, and used the truck for their honeymoon. They had found the loves of their lives.

Three months later the man died of lung cancer. The woman became more and more unstable. She finally wound up homeless, except for "Joy". Joy was the name I found inscribed above the door to the housetruck. The daughter just wanted to get rid of the whole mess and put her mother in rehab.

My friend couldn't deal with it, so he called me. The truck had been driven into the ground. Years of neglect and abuse had made it almost a lost cause. The interior was unbelievable. Heaps of dirty laundry, spoiled food, spilled gear oil, cheap perfume and empty vodka bottles all contributed to the horrible stench. The woman sought comfort in the arms of various drug-addicted men who piece-by-piece removed anything of value to be bartered for more drugs.

I've always had a fantasy of building a really nice housetruck and seeing the country. This one just fell into my lap, so I decided it was time to take it on. When I went to pick it up, the woman crawled out of "Joy" and broke down into heaving sobs. "Oh God!", she hollered, "This is the hardest thing I've ever done!!!" Tears and slobber were just pouring out of her reddened face into her wrinkled hands.

I told her, "Sweetheart, it's time for you to go to rehab. This is not the hardest thing you've ever done. You gave birth, you buried your husband, you can let go of this truck." And then she just had to hug me.

I got the thing home breathing through my mouth the whole way. I was stopped in town by the local cops--the truck had quite a reputation. Several groups of people rushed over to get a peek at the truck and to find out more. People seemed to be as excited about the truck as I was. Eventually, I made it home and parked it in the driveway. There she sat, stinking. More than stinking really, she was kind of sweating stench all around my house. It followed me into my house, really foul. I'm not sure I believe in ghosts or evil energy or things, but... well, let's just say, although everybody was curious about it, nobody would stick their head into it. It took two days and two large loads to the dump to strip away any material that could absorb smell, right down to the original Ford metal.

A friend of mine who is a mechanic, Rich, got all excited about the truck. He works out of a Step Van and he's been coming over about a day a week while I fill in between getting parts, doing what I can. Rich has a wonderful wife and two kids who keep him busy to the point of distraction. He loves to come over and relax while working on the truck. I feed him a good hot lunch, put on some good music and we have a ball together rebuilding the Ford.

I haven't restored a vehicle since I was in high school. The time of my life. Yesterday I went out to the slavage yard. I just sat there among all the wrecked cars remembering the wonderful times I've had searching for and finding that hard-to-find part. It was a wonderful day--found some good bucket seats with a real low profile so they won't be so high when they're installed in position over the gas tank. Pulled them out of a Honda Prelude.

The guy who originally put this thing together did a really good job. He installed a 1967-69 (or so) Chevy 292 straight six with a Chevy drivetrain back to the original differential. The engine has good compression and, now that we've replaced just about everything, it runs great. The transmission slips into gear easily and never grinds. Once, I got it steamcleaned, it shows very little rust. We're restoring it to last until it's at least 100 years old--the whole nine yards.

I'm a builder/designer, and the house part of this project is every bit as exciting as the truck. It will be basically a hand built cabover camper. I live near San Francisco, and it will have a roof like a cable car--the center portion will be raised about 9 inches with small windows all around. The basic shape will be like an old streetcar. The truck will be painted green with black fenders and the streetcar will be Milan yellow with white trim and black accents. The interior will be full of oriental carpets, a marble sink, a wood burning stove and fine antique cabinets--remember that railroad car that James West and Artimis Gordon used to travel around in? I think I'll name her "Desire".

Last edited by cjgeorge2012; 07-24-2004 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:02 PM
40 PICKUP MAN
New User
Originally Posted by Reg Wal
John,
Mitch is correct on the cab years. I have a 41 purchaced for parts for my 42 and the cabs are the same. I knew 42 to 47 were the same already. Not sure about the gauges however.
do you have a seat riser? or a glove box?

Old 07-24-2004, 08:05 PM
40 PICKUP MAN
New User
Originally Posted by Carlene
Welcome to FTE -

Word of advice - take many, many, many pictures as you're taking it apart. Get as many angles as you can. It helps a lot months and/or years from now when you begin putting it back together. I can't tell you how many times we've pulled out the photo album to see what went where.

Good luck, have fun and create a photo gallery so we can see too.

Almost forgot, here's a link to the thread NateS mentioned -

I'm New, Pic's
I am in delray beach, is their anyone in south florida with 40 ford parts and where does everyone go to meet?

Old 07-29-2004, 05:42 AM
bootie
Senior User
Hi i'm Andrew i'm from New Zealand i've got a ford pickup - came in kitset form i'm pretty sure its a 47 but can't see any tags to confirm or deny this builds a bit slow but its on its way

Old 08-03-2004, 06:04 PM
frty7ford
Elder User
Howdy
I am Jim from Elko, Nevada. I am working on a 1947 1 ton and a 1965 F100. The 47 was driven in to a wrecking yard in sothern Califorina when I was stationed there about 13 years ago I finaly broke down and bought it last year. From what I can see it is complete and original. It looks like I have all the parts now for the fun and seeing if it will still run and cleaning it all up fixing the dents and painting it. I hope to post Picture in my galley sometime in the near further

Old 08-04-2004, 05:24 PM
tongie607
Senior User
Well, My first name is William, but I have always gone by Brian. I have a fleet of vehicles, but my favorite is the 42 1/2 ton I got from my step dad. His Father was the second owner and bought it in the late 40's. He had put a Studebaker driveline in it, but thats gone in place is a 350/700r4. But its so far from drivable its a constant laugh for my wife. The truck was painted Lavender by my Stepdad because the paint was FREE. So for nostalgia it will be Purple once again. I really need to follow the photo advice and will try to get new pics in my Gallery. In additon to my prize I also have a 55 F-250, and a 68 F100. I truley intended to be able to drive the purple truck by this year!!!

Quick Reply: Roll Call - - -