Forum update?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 11:02 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1TonBasecamp
It shows on mine. You mean the "Forum Jump" drop-down that I was commenting on earlier? My request was simply to bring it up to just below the "Edit Tags" button in the blue bar. Perhaps in line with the " <<Previous Thread Next Thread >>" buttons.

Are you using a desktop, or phone? Maybe it's just not showing in your view because it's too far down?
Or was there one somewhere else that I hadn't noticed?

Paul
I see that now, didn't see it before. Lots of other forums just have the links like at the top, starting with the main forum and then the sub forums after that.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:01 AM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Received 731 Likes on 585 Posts
Yeah, I've used forums like that as well. But where it's only at the top, I really miss having a second option for forum navigation in the lower quadrant of the page as well. I use the lower one 80% of the time.
In our case here, I'd actually like to see it even higher than I mentioned previously. Somewhere just below the "show your signature" line would be find by me. That way I would not have to scroll down as far as I do now to get to it.

One of the main reasons I use it more here even than on other forums I frequent is that sometimes (actually about half the time!) my back button at the top in my browser does not work. If I click it once and it does not send me back to the previous page, I have to click on it anywhere from two, to five or six additional times before the page reverts.
And it's not just slow. It's dead. I can tell because there is zero activity in the usual places while a browser waits to open a page. Nada. But I can tell when it goes active again, because I see the string come into being at the bottom of the page. Once I see that, it only takes a couple of seconds to get some results to my action.

Anyway, I finally got used to it doing that, so use the Forum Jump menu rather than multiple clicks of the back button. The FJ works almost every time.

Paul

Old 03-12-2018, 08:16 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,673 Likes on 2,743 Posts
IB Jose, is there a reason why the ALT+S keystroke no longer works?

Old 03-18-2018, 04:23 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Well I still really dislike this "NEW and improved" FTE site changes. I was trying to upload some PDFs fora project and unlike it used
to be where it would give some feedback on why it failed it did not. The upload thing just never changed and only 2 of the 6 showed up.

SO I could not get the teck date I was working on to upload and finaly said forget it and dumped the project. Someone looses out some good info.

The second issue is the site is so much slower to load do to some app that is part of the page creation not running how it should.

I am to the point with this change that I know that I won't be doing a paid subscription the next time it comes around.

Maybe someone should ask how many people are going to post less or leave altogether.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:18 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As i said before I am glad my subscription went towards something, even if it helped pay for some new unintended features like the buggy as heck app...which IMO is kind of pointless in its current state, oh well, I will just let my membership expire if it hasn't already done so and will consider what I want to do next, not really sure if I will renew or not...sadly it WAS worth the membership but now......

Old 03-19-2018, 07:48 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaime74656
As i said before I am glad my subscription went towards something, even if it helped pay for some new unintended features like the buggy as heck app...which IMO is kind of pointless in its current state, oh well, I will just let my membership expire if it hasn't already done so and will consider what I want to do next, not really sure if I will renew or not...sadly it WAS worth the membership but now......

Its what IB is good at.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:00 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,673 Likes on 2,743 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Its what IB is good at.
In the IT world there is a company called Computer Associates. We say of CA that it's where good products go to die. IB seems to be the doing the same thing.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:32 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Hmm, another reply discovery. Sometimes Quote... doesn't. It just acts like a reply. New page opens with an editor, but the quoted content isn't there.

Edit -- here's a doozy -- I figured out how to hand-key a quotation, including the reference to the quoted post (basically it's quote=user;postnumber), so I composed such a reply, hit Preview, it shows the preview properly, but then the edit window is EMPTY. ALL hand-key work GONE. Word to the wise - copy and any hand-keyed content to an external editor before using Preview.

Edit2 -- poss. a clue -- Sometimes the edit window disables the tools, except for a couple:

This seems to coincide with the Preview sending quoted or previously entered content into oblivion. Why on Earth would the tools be disabled anyway?

Edit3 -- it seems like when you hit Preview while in Source mode, the edit window contents get killed. I had to re-do this very message at least three times, discovering this gem. All I can say is, thank the stars for Notepad++.....

Old 04-04-2018, 08:52 PM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Interesting. Have you tried waiting twenty seconds or so? I assume so, but had to ask. When I hit quote lately it takes about that long for the dialog to show up in the new window.
Hopefully that goes away. Hope too that you get your words in edgewise! In quotes, even... (Said in his best Arlo Guthrie voice)

Paul

Old 04-04-2018, 08:54 PM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
And just to mention another thing I've just noticed in the last few days (and it happened again just now which is why I thought of it) when I hit the quick reply button and my post shows up, all the words I typed show up again in the reply box.
Previously, it always emptied the box when the words were posted. Now it posts, but copies the words back in the box. As if I wanted to reply twice.

I wonder if that's the "auto saved" feature with a gremlin?

Paul

Old 04-04-2018, 09:14 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
(Said in his best Arlo Guthrie voice)
KID?....... *

Oh now Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? The quoted text came up perfectly this time.

I wonder if that's the "auto saved" feature with a gremlin? **
I wondered basically the same thing, if auto-save was somehow bollixing things up generally. So I went to find the setting to turn off auto-save, and.... uh.... er.... there isn't one? Eek!

* When that "song" came out when I was a kid, our family actually had a red/white VW Microbus....
** I rented a Gremlin once, but I digress....

Old 04-04-2018, 10:56 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Having the text from a post showing up in the Quick Reply window makes
you wonder if your post did post or is you hit the Go Advanced.

So YES I think a lot of she changed are useless. Also doing a hand coding
for the fount when in the Source mode and then going back to normal shows
the coding and not the font

[size=&quot;5&quot;] Test font,size.color and italics.

But once you hit [/size] Go Advanced or Preview Post
And now it is placing the color and size in the wrong place.
This whole line should of been black and normal "[size=&quot;5&quot;]But once you hit [/size] Go Advanced or Preview Post"
What it did was copy and insert this command in the wrong place "[ size="5" ] [ color="Red" ]"

EDIT : All copy and past was done in the view Source mode.
EDIT 2 : saving the edit changed it all.

Now it self inserted this stuff [ size=&quot;5&quot; ][ color=&amp ]

Old 04-05-2018, 12:10 AM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by madpogue
KID?....... *
* When that "song" came out when I was a kid, our family actually had a red/white VW Microbus....
** I rented a Gremlin once, but I digress....
Ahh, but digressing is good for the soul. And it relieves stress so that you don't go crazy, just sitting there on the Group-W bench...
After (literally) 50 years I still can't look at a printed photograph and not think of "circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one..."
And I use the phrase "implements of destruction" almost daily. Of course, with good reason nowadays. But I digress too...

Thanks for the segué

Paul

Old 04-18-2018, 06:21 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
I see that your stilling to push people away.
So you guessed right I don't like this latest update.
The related threads were not even close to being related.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:52 PM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Well I guess I should be careful what I wish for...
When I asked if the forum jump menu could be moved up, closer to the reply window I should have kept my mouth shut. Now it's all the way at the bottom of the page! Now I have to just keep scrolling and hope I can find it.
But then, finding it really no longer matters, as it no longer functions.
Ok, nevermindfornow. I see that it's in a permanent perimeter location rather than needing to scroll to find it. Hmm, I can live with that I suppose. But to the next point of contention with it, the jump doesn't work!

When I hit forum jump a window pops up with literally every forum, sub forum and whatever forum, but I can't make it go there. I didn't even try finding the forum I wanted, as I could not see it near the top of my list, so I just clicked on any one just to get out of a thread I'd just posted to. Unfortunately nothing happened.

A temporary glitch hopefully, because hitting the back button twice now, and then hitting the refresh button to update the page, is kind of annoying. Not the end of the world annoying, but still a couple of steps in the wrong direction.

Sorry for the long-winded gripe, if a mod is trying to keep track of this stuff and make corrections. Basically then, fix the forum jump function, or move it back up into a semi-useful location and flow please.

Paul

Quick Reply: Forum update?