Notices

Forum update?

Old 03-01-2018, 05:38 PM
flowney
Posting Guru
flowney is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I just tried the Drag & Drop uploader and while it worked great in the past, it doesn't work at all now. Chrome under macOS 10.11.6. I'm off to try Firefox to see if that's any better.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:19 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
I run Mac OS 10.12.6 with Safari. I an not having issues with uploading images.
The last one I did had 2 in it. I just can't use the thumbnails at the top to load more that
the 20 it will only show even when in All Albums. Now I have not tried today to see if it
is working yet. just checked and it will only show the last 20 uploaded. Also inline
images SUCK. Makes it very hard to edit. Give us the text back.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:46 PM
flowney
Posting Guru
@Yahiko, I take it that you are uploading from your local file system using "From Device" as opposed to supplying a URL or Drag & Drop. My Mac is so old that I cannot upgrade the OS beyond 10.11.6 but its hard to believe that 10.12 would be so different as to break FTE.
Just tried to upload again from my local file system and now cannot even upload one image. Clicking on the "From Device" button does nothing for me now. Something is very broken.
The whole idea behind using a web-based system is to provide a cross-platform, cross-browser experience.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:48 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
Later I can give it a try with the old Mac that is running 10.8.5 if you want me to give that a try.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:10 AM
Snowseeker
Post Fiend
Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by 56panelford View Post
How do you able to to link to your page like that, I try to copy and paste and it comes up a mess...?
My computer has a button (print screen) I click which takes a snapshot of the screen. Then I open the pic in paint and save it as a jpeg image, then I upload it here or there or whereever.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:13 AM
Snowseeker
Post Fiend
Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Turd-250 View Post
if i had any pictures on my desktop lol! its funny cause 1 year ago i didn't have a smart phone, didn't care about anything related to them, and i wouldn't have had these 'problems' ... first world problems right? lol!. nowdays? shoot, that stupid phone dictates way more in my life than i want! RANT TIME! now everyone can get ahold of me from any of their devices for any reason through any method at any time ... boooo!!!! i miss my razr flip phone!
I refuse to ever get a zombie phone! I have things to do during the day and don't need some phone interrupting me.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:14 AM
Snowseeker
Post Fiend
Forum issues, can we just get rid of that useless black drop down menu at the top of the page? Just right click delete that shart. Please.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:36 AM
Deuce40s
Elder User
Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Snowseeker View Post
Forum issues, can we just get rid of that useless black drop down menu at the top of the page? Just right click delete that shart. Please.
I use that all the time. That's how I jump between forums. Well, I guess I only use one of the buttons so the rest of the bar can get trashed and I wouldn't notice.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:18 AM
Turd-250
Post Fiend
Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Snowseeker View Post
I refuse to ever get a zombie phone! I have things to do during the day and don't need some phone interrupting me.
amen brother! one of these day's i'll get fed up and toss it in the lake

Old 03-02-2018, 10:37 AM
flowney
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
Later I can give it a try with the old Mac that is running 10.8.5 if you want me to give that a try.
Yes. Please do and let us know.

It looks like the redesign is aimed at enabling the site to respond differently depending upon the device being used. Obviously, the viewport of a smart phone, tablet and laptop or desktop computer are different from one another and, so, require a different layout in order to provide a good user experience (UX). This is usually called "responsive design" and it can get quite complex with ample opportunities to screw up. One of the most common mistakes is to target the "user agent" sent by the web browser and basing one's assumptions on that instead of actually probing the web browser for data on the characteristics of the viewing device. Although I have no knowledge of what is being done with the HTML that undergirds this site its behavior in my case suggests that it could have been planned, tested and implemented much better.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:19 PM
flowney
Posting Guru
I was finally able to upload a post with 15 images and explanatory text for my build thread. I didn't do anything differently than with the old design so I assume that the web site coders have been busy addressing the issues raised here.

Good work!

Old 03-02-2018, 05:35 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
On iPhone and the iPad I use iCab for the browser so I can make it tell the server that it is a desktop and not a phone/tablet.

I would still like to see the inline image display turned off. It makes check ing how thengs will display and then editing a PITA.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:01 PM
IB Jose
Internet Brands
IB Jose has a brilliant futureIB Jose has a brilliant futureIB Jose has a brilliant futureIB Jose has a brilliant futureIB Jose has a brilliant futureIB Jose has a brilliant futureIB Jose has a brilliant futureIB Jose has a brilliant futureIB Jose has a brilliant futureIB Jose has a brilliant futureIB Jose has a brilliant future
If you click the "Source" button in the editor, it will display just the code instead of all of the images inline.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:18 PM
flowney
Posting Guru
Yes, the inline display and re-arranger still needs work. On my desktop Mac I selected 15 serially named (e.g. image.01.jpg, image.02.jpg and so on)images from my HD. The UI placed them in what looked to me like random order and four of them were blank and, so, impossible to ID. Even with all images visible in this UI, using drag and drop to order them sequentially is just too much trouble. This is not a problem for me b/c my method is to add text, add one image, add more text, add another image and so on. That is now working for me and I am a happy camper.
Although I do feel comfortable dealing with the source directly, its not often necessary and shouldn't be if the WYSIWYG UI is functioning as it should.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:13 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by IB Jose View Post
If you click the "Source" button in the editor, it will display just the code instead of all of the images inline.

I'll give that a look and maybe play around with and see how it works out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Forum update?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.