2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Trailer Camera and TPMS Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 11:17 AM
Xwild
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the info stoff! I've got to put new rubber on the horse trailer this year and was wondering if the 614s would work.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:45 AM
klassic
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Xwild
Thanks for the info stoff! I've got to put new rubber on the horse trailer this year and was wondering if the 614s would work.
The 614's are pricey.
The Sailun's seem to be a big hit on 5vers and are much cheaper
Sailun Commercial Truck Tires: S637 ST Heavy Duty Specialty Trailer

Old 05-07-2017, 12:11 PM
Jesstalkn
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had mine in sence December. With the 17.5 wheels with H rated tires they are working perfectly. Once in a great while I loose the signal in the right rear sensor for a short time.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:32 PM
Xwild
Elder User
Any of you that have mounted the TPMS system so that you can plug it in inside the bed.. did you manage to get the TPMS box below the body of the trailer? How far from your wheels did you end up mounting it, and how does it work?

Wonder if Nichols could sell an extension for the TPMS side of the harness.. cuz I'm not sure I'll be able to get it below the front wall of my trailer.. and it will be quite a ways from the tires.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:41 PM
Jesstalkn
Junior User
Any of you that have mounted the TPMS system so that you can plug it in inside the bed.. did you manage to get the TPMS box below the body of the trailer? How far from your wheels did you end up mounting it, and how does it work?

Wonder if Nichols could sell an extension for the TPMS side of the harness.. cuz I'm not sure I'll be able to get it below the front wall of my trailer.. and it will be quite a ways from the tires.
I did mount mine plug in the bed. Before I found out about Nichols Manufacturing products came out. I had to do all of my own modifications to make all work. They have everything you need now.
I have a 43' RV and mounted the receiver under the belly about 6' back. I went as far back as the harness would allow. And it's working.
​​​​​​

Old 05-07-2017, 12:58 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I did mount my plug in the bed using the Nichols box and harness extension. For the first couple of weeks, I just plugged the TPMS sensor and harness in and left it coiled up in the truck bed. The sensors still worked fine and had no interruptions in signal. I have now routed the harness up through the pin box on my 5ver and down under the trailer frame. Still working perfectly. My 5ver is a 43' toy hauler, so the farthest of the three axles is probably 25 feet from the sensor, but no issues.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:02 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by klassic
The 614's are pricey.
The Sailun's seem to be a big hit on 5vers and are much cheaper
Sailun Commercial Truck Tires: S637 ST Heavy Duty Specialty Trailer
I paid $301 each for the G614's at Discount Tire, plus mounting and balancing. Based on all I've read about those tires, I thought that was a pretty reasonable price.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:21 PM
Xwild
Elder User
Great.. if we ever get some dry weather around here I'll have to go out and pull out my old camera system and get the new one installed. Sounds like I shouldn't have a problem since my trailers are all quite a bit shorter to the axles than yours.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:48 PM
klassic
Tuned
Originally Posted by STOF-FORD
I paid $301 each for the G614's at Discount Tire, plus mounting and balancing. Based on all I've read about those tires, I thought that was a pretty reasonable price.
A member on my trailer forum got the Sailun's and mounting for $167.
I found a place already mounted on aluminum rims, suitable for 110psi, for $250 free shipping.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:42 PM
Xwild
Elder User
klassic - and that place would be? (i'm going to be switching out my rusted steel rims with aluminum when I make the tire change)

Old 05-07-2017, 09:35 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by klassic
A member on my trailer forum got the Sailun's and mounting for $167.
I found a place already mounted on aluminum rims, suitable for 110psi, for $250 free shipping.
I guess I was just after what I believed to be the best tires, not the lowest price. No offense intended. The tires I just took off our rig only had about 3K miles on them. I figured it was worth the money for the peace of mind coming from knowing I have great tires behind me when I'm running 70 mph in 100 degree weather.

I'm the first to admit, I have no knowledge or experience with the Sailun's. Maybe they are just as good as the G614's. I don't know. I wasn't shopping price, I was shopping peace of mind.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:47 PM
klassic
Tuned
Originally Posted by STOF-FORD
I guess I was just after what I believed to be the best tires, not the lowest price. No offense intended. The tires I just took off our rig only had about 3K miles on them. I figured it was worth the money for the peace of mind coming from knowing I have great tires behind me when I'm running 70 mph in 100 degree weather.

I'm the first to admit, I have no knowledge or experience with the Sailun's. Maybe they are just as good as the G164's. I don't know. I wasn't shopping price, I was shopping peace of mind.
From what I hear, very comparable. But they aren't G614's
I don't blame you for being sceptical. Look them up. I've just not heard anything bad about them. Definitely let me know if you find some dirt on them.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:49 PM
klassic
Tuned
klassic - and that place would be? (i'm going to be switching out my rusted steel rims with aluminum when I make the tire change)
Sailun S637 LRG 14 PR Radial Tire on 16" 8 Lug Lynx Silver Aluminum Trailer Wheel

Old 05-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Johnpsz
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I switched my trailer's ST tires out to LT tires a few years ago, and went Bridgestone Duravis R250 Commercial Rib tires, they have lasted many long trips and best tire choice I have made by far on any of my trailers. According to UPS, my TMPS/camera should be here tomorrow, and hopefully I will have the truck by later this week, so we'll see how it all goes together for my setup by the weekend.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:28 PM
Popeyedc65
Junior User

Fed my wire harness from the pin box into the generator bay and mounted the module to the back wall beside the generator. Module is inside out of the weather and works great on 44 foot toy hauler.

Quick Reply: Trailer Camera and TPMS Kit