Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Trailer Camera and TPMS Kit (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1453213-trailer-camera-and-tpms-kit.html)

bowler304 09-14-2016 01:57 PM

Trailer Camera and TPMS Kit

3 Attachment(s)
Hello all, I got a lot of questions regarding the camera / TPMS kit for trailer so I thought I would start another thread for more details. Hopefully this is informative for you all.

You can see the picture of the TPMS is a new stem that must be installed inside the tire, and it must meet the requirement of Ford.

Per the install document also attached, "Trailer TPMS sensors are only compatible on wheels with 0.452 in (11.48 mm) diamter valve stem holes." It also states they must test them after install to check for air leaks after install. I took this part as they must break down the wheels and install them in each wheel. This is how I came to the conclusion they are not easily swapped between trailers. There is a secondary wiring harness that must be installed per the docs. I am also sure if you have a 3 axle trailer you can buy additional sensors from Ford.

The actual camera install cable is approximately 45 feet long, the harness that is also installed on the trailer for the TPMS is approximately 25 feet long.

You will have to remove the plug and replace with factory plug for the camera, you 'might' have to run a line upfront. I haven't figured that out or started the install yet.

Let me know if you have anymore questions or need more pictures and hopefully this helps some of you struggling with wether to get the option or not. :-blah

RubyRed350Platinum 09-14-2016 02:15 PM

I would LOVE to sit at the meetings where they decided all this was a great idea. There are a TON of TPMS systems that screw onto the valves and don't require installation of anything. Just amazing!! Wonder if I can cancel both of them off my order without losing my spot??

System 09-14-2016 02:17 PM

Thanks much for posting and keep us informed on how the install goes. I'm starting to think I'll just keep my TST TPMS and Garmin 760 RV NAV and wireless back up cam.

Force74 09-14-2016 02:25 PM

Do you guys know if there is a separate kit for additional trailers? I believe the initial kit includes the bumper plug-in (which I believe replaces the four pin connector). Additional kits wouldn't need whatever hardware this includes so I'm wondering if they have some other kit for additional trailers.

bowler304 09-14-2016 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Force74 (Post 16574055)
Do you guys know if there is a separate kit for additional trailers? I believe the initial kit includes the bumper plug-in (which I believe replaces the four pin connector). Additional kits wouldn't need whatever hardware this includes so I'm wondering if they have some other kit for additional trailers.

Well a lot of the hardware is installed on the trailer so you would have to move it over or you could buy another kits but each kit will be pretty expensive. :-drink

Force74 09-14-2016 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by bowler304 (Post 16574116)
Well a lot of the hardware is installed on the trailer so you would have to move it over or you could buy other kits but each kit will be pretty expensive. :-drink

Well I was kind of figuring that, but you know...it never hurts to wish. :-drink Thank You

DL222 09-14-2016 04:19 PM

Well I'm not too sure about this thing. Looks like they are taking something that should be pretty simple making it pretty complicated and charging $1700 for it. I ordered it not knowing how it works. Makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

bowler304 09-14-2016 04:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by DL222 (Post 16574264)
Well I'm not too sure about this thing. Looks like they are taking something that should be pretty simple making it pretty complicated and charging $1700 for it. I ordered it not knowing how it works. Makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

I think you might be a little confused, this kit was 'only' 725.00 so it wasn't that expensive but still a lot of money for what you get.

DL222 09-14-2016 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by bowler304 (Post 16574284)
I think you might be a little confused, this kit was 'only' 725.00 so it wasn't that expensive but still a lot of money for what you get.

Thanks. I was looking at the Tow Technology Bundle. Only herts half as much now.

dagrump 09-14-2016 04:59 PM

looks like TPMS wont work on goodyear g614 because all steel carcass

Highjumper 09-14-2016 05:53 PM

Seems like an awful lot of wiring in the new wireless world. The truck can read it's own tires, so I wonder why it isn't capable of reading the trailer tires -- particularly since the little black box on the trailer is near the truck anyway.

System 09-14-2016 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by dagrump (Post 16574335)
looks like TPMS wont work on goodyear g614 because all steel carcass

Where would you get that idea? Pressure is pressure and the sensors are no where near the tire.

System 09-14-2016 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Highjumper (Post 16574424)
Seems like an awful lot of wiring in the new wireless world. The truck can read it's own tires, so I wonder why it isn't capable of reading the trailer tires -- particularly since the little black box on the trailer is near the truck anyway.

I agree. The sensors should have been screw on, wireless, and if too far back, a simple 12v repeater could be used on the RV. If my TST system can work from inside my garage with the door down, 100 feet from my RV, a repeater shouldn't even be necessary though. I'm deleting both the camera and TPMS from my build.

dagrump 09-14-2016 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Karl4Cat (Post 16574483)
Where would you get that idea? Pressure is pressure and the sensors are no where near the tire.

Installation manual (TPMS cannot be used with all steel carcass tires)

System 09-14-2016 06:47 PM

That makes zero sense but if it's in there... Def not ordering if that's the case. I wonder if that's why the 450's don't get TPMS too? Dan said something about the sensors fitting the 450's rims but this would make more sense.