1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Cummins swap/frame question

Old 08-07-2014, 04:42 PM
ford_pickup
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome Build, Excited to see progress

Old 08-07-2014, 08:42 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Progress is slower than I would like, but it's getting there.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:01 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
What all is involved in making up mounts for this engine?
Is the balance point anywhere close to the existing crossmember/perches?

Sorry if this is a stupid question from someone who has little experience with the 6BT.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
What all is involved in making up mounts for this engine?
Is the balance point anywhere close to the existing crossmember/perches?

Sorry if this is a stupid question from someone who has little experience with the 6BT.
Actually, the stock 89-93 mounts would almost sit right down on the I6 gasser frame stands. The angle may be off slightly, but close enough to work. I've been told these same engine mounts will sit down in the diesel frame stands, which are mounted in the same place as the I6 stands, directly over the crossmember, rather than behind it like the gas V8 stands.
I don't have the full block portion of the mounts, hence the reason I have to make my own.
As for balance point, it's actually behind the location where the mounts bolt on to the block, same as the original 6 cyl was.
You can see where the mounts go in this pic, and it's pretty easy to tell they are ahead of the center point of the engine.

This just means I will need to support the rear of the engine, if I ever have to drop the trans. Otherwise, this will happen, again......

That was spooky, as I was standing under truck, unbolting the exhaust from the manifold when it let go. Of course, I already had the engine mounts loose from the frame......

Old 08-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
See the similar location? Ironic, huh?

Old 08-07-2014, 09:29 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't think it's ironic.
There's a reason, or the mounts wouldn't be there.

Seems crazy that they would want the engine so azz heavy, but what do I know???

Old 08-07-2014, 09:55 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
I'm sure neither engine is that bad on the tail heavy thing. Likely only 10% or less. The mounts are just ahead of the centerline of the block. Most every inline 6 I have ever seen was setup this way, aside from the really old ones that had the front and rear mounts.

I've had the trans out before with the 300 in there, and it didn't try to tip back, since the mounts were still bolted down, and the exhaust pipe was still hooked up.
Speaking of the exhaust pipe, the front ~3ft of it was the only part I had never had changed. I simply pulled it out of the newer stuff, without even loosening the clamp. As such, it couldn't have been giving very much support to hold the engine upright, especially given the rubber hangers holding the pipe up. The mounts were primarily tasked with that.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:41 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Picked up the injectors today. Was a bit slow at the shop, so I took a bit longer lunch than normal to go after them.
Took a bit longer than I expected to have them built, but since they cut me a heck of a deal, I can't complain. The full set cost me less than a single injector for a powerstroke...

Old 08-12-2014, 09:52 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Should make the start-up easy.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:23 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Picked up new oil/temp senders, and the needed adapter/bushings to make them fit the Cummins block.
While I was there, I went ahead and picked up oil/fuel filter for it too, as well as 3 gal of oil. May not be at the point of needing them yet, but I figured might as well have them on hand. Went with Chevron Delo oil, as it was priced $5/gal off. $12.99/gal is a pretty decent deal these days......
Got the injector hold down nuts and return line banjo bolts cleaned up and ready to go on. Still need to insure the injector lines are flushed out, then I can install the injectors and have the fuel system completed on the engine.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:29 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Sounds good. How are you coming on the mounts, or did I miss that?

Old 08-16-2014, 10:30 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Sounds good. How are you coming on the mounts, or did I miss that?
Haven't tackled them yet. I would like to have the fuel tank/return line, pedal/column swap, and firewall reinforcement plate all done prior to setting the engine/trans into place. That way, once the mounts are done, they can be installed, and the truck can start being reassembled.

Finally recieved word from terrapin mfg a few minutes ago. The firewall reinforcement is back ordered until the 1st week of Sept. Bit of a bummer, as I was hoping to have it installed before then.....

It isn't looking too likely for this truck to make it to the GTG next month. If I had everything in hand, I might be able to finish it in that time, but I don't have some pretty important items. Plus, August is typically a slow month at the shop, so the income is down, making it harder to buy the stuff I know I need.
Things will return to normal shortly, and I can then start ordering a few of the bigger items I have been waiting to buy.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:32 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We used to run Rotella all the time, mostly because it was easy to find. The motor was going through oil fairly well, so we decided to try the Delvac, and it wasn't using nearly as much for a while. I think the lack of care finally has caught up with it... It is my sister's rig, so keeping up with the oil changes hasn't really been deemed a needed thing...

Old 08-16-2014, 10:43 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
I used to run Rotella when I had the VW diesel, years ago. Wasn't as easy to find then. Much like getting fuel, it almost required a trip to a truck stop........
Times have changed, diesel fuel and oil are now easy to find.

The O'rielly store was out of Wix oil filters for a Cummins, so I opted for a K&N. I thought about going with a synthetic oil, but decided to save a little money for now.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:31 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
No much to report, since it's quite warm this weekend. Too warm to spend much time outside.
I did find a source for 1/4" aluminum tubing to make the fuel return line. Had to order it, should be here by tues or wed. 20ft roll is $20.
The engine is plumbed for 5/16" supply and 1/4" return, the truck already has a 5/16" supply line. A double flare tool should make nice little swells on the ends for better hose sealing/retention, and a bulkhead connector for where the line passes thru the sender/tank.
I want to use the upcoming labor day weekend to finish the truck mods, such as column/pedal swap, floor board cut out, and clutch master holes. But, the reinforcement plate won't be available until early sept, and it has to go on before the pedals and column are permenently mounted. Also need that to mark where the clutch master will need to go, since the 80 models didn't have those locations marked.....

Spent most of friday working on a 91 dodge/cummins, and then took it for a drive. There's a word to describe how it runs/drives. Donor........

I had never driven one with the VE pump before, and was wondering if the "dog" reputation was mainly just due to the guys chasing big power and/or clouds of black smoke. Yep. They pull fine, even with a 1/2 smashed 3" tailpipe.......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cummins swap/frame question