1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Cummins swap/frame question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:52 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Haven't had the chance to make any real progress on this, been busy doing other pressing matters.
But, over the weekend, I picked up a manual trans column, and somehow managed to get lucky. It's a tilt column. Wasn't planning to go tilt, but what the heck....
Also picked up a floor plate to cover the hole I will be cutting in the trans tunnel. The plate came from a 4wd manual trans truck. Pretty sure the NV4500 stick is going to sit back in the area of the transfer case shifter location. This meant I was going to have to fill the front hole anyways, and cut one at the back.
It also came with a nice bonus, both shifter boots still attached. Not sure which one will be better suited for the task, but I have options....

I have sent an inquiry to terrapin about the firewall plate. Want to insure it's currently available before trying to order one. If I have to wait 2-3 weeks, I'd be better off just making my own, but if they have some ready to ship, I don't mind paying their price for one I don't have to spend a lot of time manufacturing myself.
Since my truck doesn't even have the hole locations marked, I'd have to figure that out first, before I could make the rest of the plate. Their plate already has the mounting locations figured out.

Didn't sell the car. The guy couldn't come up with the money, and kept trying to trade me stuff to cover the difference. I finally just told him to quit wasting my time.
Gonna hang onto it for a while. Was kinda nice to hit the road in decent comfort, with a cold A/C, set the cruise, and knock down ~25MPG.
Considering the small amount of money I have in it, and it's overall good condition, I could easily drive it for a few years and still be able to sell it for what I have in it. Besides, with a good set of winter tires, I'd rather drive something like this car, than a truck I have countless hours invested into, when the weather turns nasty. Last few years, I've been using the B2300 for that kind of duty, but my son really seems to like that little truck. Might just let him keep on driving it..... I only have ~$750 in the B2300, $1200 in the 02 Focus.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:05 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
It didn't hurt your feelings any that you didn't sell the Focus. I can see that pretty easily.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:31 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
It didn't hurt your feelings any that you didn't sell the Focus. I can see that pretty easily.
Not a bit. Heck, the dern thing is way nicer than what I am used to driving.... And it owes me very little money. Retail on it, would be around $4K-5K.

I need to find out what years the turn signal switch interchanges. Seller said he thinks the column came from an 82. Not sure if 80 and 82 used the same TS switch.
The tilt switch feels good, cancels like it should, but has a couple wires that will need minor repair. Looks like they got pinched where the column mounts to the bottom of the dash. 1 is cut completely, and other is cut part way thru. Good thing they are in a very easily accessed area.
The lever is bent, but I figure I can swap out the one from my old column. That is the only part of the current TS switch that is any good......

Old 07-24-2014, 07:05 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Does this help?

Old 07-24-2014, 07:30 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
That sheet shows, if I am reading it correctly, that 80-83 used the same switch, 84 had it's own unique switch, and 85/86 had yet another. All dependant on fixed/tilt column.
I'll have to pop off the steering wheel and see if I can find the number on the TS switch. The wheel is not in good condition, so I was planning to swap mine over anyways.

I hope the wiring pinouts are the same, though it isn't hard to repin the connector.

I needed a new TS switch anyways, and it was going to cost as much as I paid for a complete column and the floor plate......

Old 07-24-2014, 07:32 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
That's the way I read it as well.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:17 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
I think Ralph knew what the differences were, wish he was still around.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:39 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Yep, I miss Ralph as well. Was just looking at things he posted about the underhood tool box and was wondering how he's doing.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:03 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
I just got the title notorized, so I can transfer it into my name. Tag is due this month anyways, and the stupid rules they have make it cheaper to do the transfer at the time of tag renewal......

Originally Posted by ctubutis
I think Ralph knew what the differences were, wish he was still around.
Yep, I miss Ralph as well. Was just looking at things he posted about the underhood tool box and was wondering how he's doing.
Not 100% sure who you guys are talking about. I *think* I know who.....

Been really under the weather last couple days, so I haven't made any progress on the truck. Hopefully, this will pass soon, as next weekend is supposed to be real nice again......

Still haven't heard back from terrapin mfg......

Old 07-26-2014, 07:20 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Sorry to hear you've been under the weather. Hope you are on the mend.

Ralph is 81-F-150-Explorer. Here's a post of his re the toolbox as an example.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:41 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Sorry to hear you've been under the weather. Hope you are on the mend.

Ralph is 81-F-150-Explorer. Here's a post of his re the toolbox as an example.
Getting there, but still a ways to go.....
Running a fever in in this kind of weather, is rather odd.

I thought that was who you were talking about. I wonder whatever happened to him? Seems like it's been a year or more since I've seen anything from him......

Old 07-26-2014, 07:46 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Dunno. Last post was March 20, 2013.

Yes, it is odd to run a fever at 100 degrees out. Boy, it was a hot one. I mowed the yard and it was rather warm.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Dunno. Last post was March 20, 2013.

Yes, it is odd to run a fever at 100 degrees out. Boy, it was a hot one. I mowed the yard and it was rather warm.
I have only been outside a couple times today, to walk the dog. I'm sure the neighbors think I must be crazy, since I have been wearing a hooded sweatshirt, in 100 degree weather........ And, it's black, just top off the effect. It's primarily to keep from freezing, with the A/C set in the upper 70's......

Pretty sure it's a sinus infection, brought on by the cool, damp weather we went thru. Lots of extra pollen, at a time of year when it's usually not present. If I'm not feeling better by monday, I'll go see a dr. Antibiotics usually help me kick them a bit quicker.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:02 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
There's another round of cooler, damp weather coming. Maybe not as cool as the last, but cooler than today for sure. Best go get the antibiotics.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:52 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
There's another round of cooler, damp weather coming. Maybe not as cool as the last, but cooler than today for sure. Best go get the antibiotics.
Made a trip to the clinic today, and got the antibiotics.....

As for the car, remember this:
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
Was kinda nice to hit the road in decent comfort, with a cold A/C, set the cruise, and knock down ~25MPG.
I filled it up today. 268 miles, 9.720 Gal, for just shy of 28 MPG, with a full week of the short trips to/from work added to the tail end of the last tank. Had I filled it up after doing mostly highway driving, I bet it would have been in the 30's...... My in town driving is usually done with OD off button engaged, since speeds rarely exceed 35 MPH in this town.
Still not a fan of the computer controlled auto trans, but the OD and lockup convertor can yield MPG that rivals a manual trans, even with fewer gears.

Still haven't heard back on the injectors. Prolly give them a call in a couple days. I did tell them I was in no hurry.....

Still not heard from terrapin mfg either.

Quick Reply: Cummins swap/frame question