6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Unbelievable

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 12:25 PM
slorider
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simply amazing... these trucks will go into "limp mode" if it runs out of DEF, although when a major mechanical failure is occurring it keeps on going?

Without all the facts in front of me, this is just speculation on my part. Like a previous poster mentioned, if the truck was sitting for over a month before the dealer even took a look at it I highly doubt the filter would still be damp... especially if it was damp due to being driven through fog a month earlier. Also, if the truck hadn’t been near any water like the OP stated hydro-lock is out of the question, that is unless it locked up with fuel. Valves generally don't just suddenly break, I would suspect some sort of timing issue, broken glow plug or a bad injector flooding the cylinder that initially bent the valve which in turn caused it to not completely seat. With the valve not completely seated it's possible it was able to come in contact with the piston and after 60 miles of the piston tapping the valve it finally broke.

I do find it quite strange that the dealer simply said the Ford warrantee rep as only there for a short while and that they didn’t even leave a report. Is this the norm or is the dealer “double dipping”, filing a warrantee claim with Ford and having the customer pay for the repair? The dealer also gave him no explanation as to why the engine failed but they expect him to just fork out the cash? I think there’s more to this story…..

Old 01-10-2012, 12:37 PM
randito
Junior User
It did actually have a broken glow plug. Still said I ran thru water. The tech told me last week he could still "smell" water in the filter...really??? Smell water??? I asked him what water smelled like??? Just more ford BS

Old 01-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Randito. If there is more to this situation that hasn't been released, please post it, as this is one absolute crock of poo, if this is all to the story. There is so much that just don't add up.Fords denial to your warranty.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:09 PM
GZip
Senior User
Randito -

As I said in the other thread, but maybe not detailed enough:

1) Get a detailed explanation of the failure, and why the warranty was not honored, in writing, from Ford. I hate to be paranoid here, but the dealer could be jerking you around w/o Ford's knowledge.

2) Get the parts.

These are both very reasonable requests for a $20k repair. If you have not given them any money at all, then don't even touch that truck until they honor your request. With these two requests satisfied, at least you have the possibility of recourse.

BTW, I don't remember seeing any prohibition against driving in the rain, or through puddles in the owner's manual. Also, it would be nice to see the letter supplied by Ford. For educational purposes, of course...

Old 01-10-2012, 01:18 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by GZip
BTW, I don't remember seeing any prohibition against driving in the rain, or through puddles in the owner's manual. Also, it would be nice to see the letter supplied by Ford. For educational purposes, of course...
As pointed out to me by our good friend Marauder92V, this is in the diesel suppliment (not that I think it should be)

But it does not say (for rain) that you have to do anything other than re set the gauge.....
It does not say that it can in any way hurt your engine.......

Thanks

Vehicle operation in heavy snowfall or extreme rain conditions may feed excessive amounts of snow/water into the air intake system. This could
plug/soak the air filter with snow and may cause the engine to lose power and possibly shut down.
The following actions are recommended after operating the vehicle up to 200 miles (320 km) in snowfall or extreme rain:
Snow: At the earliest opportunity, open the hood and clear all the snow and ice from the air filter housing inlet (do not remove the foam

filter) and reset the air filter restriction gauge.
Note:
Removal of the foam filter degrades vehicle performance during snow and hot weather conditions.

Extreme rain: The air filter will dry after about 15–30 minutes at highway speeds. At the earliest opportunity, open the hood and reset
the air filter restriction gauge.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 01-10-2012, 01:59 PM
GZip
Senior User
Yeah. Knew about the filter words, but not about any prohibition against operation in wet conditions, nor about voiding any warranties. If the story, exactly as the OP has written, happened to me I would certainly be taking an alternate path to putting up $20k and going on my way.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:23 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 908 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by GZip
Yeah. Knew about the filter words, but not about any prohibition against operation in wet conditions, nor about voiding any warranties. If the story, exactly as the OP has written, happened to me I would certainly be taking an alternate path to putting up $20k and going on my way.

It is all hard to believe.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:30 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by randito
It did actually have a broken glow plug. Still said I ran thru water. The tech told me last week he could still "smell" water in the filter...really??? Smell water??? I asked him what water smelled like??? Just more ford BS

So either the broken glowplug took out the valve, or the broken valve took out the glowplug.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:49 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesn't Ford sell a snow plow package for these trucks? What do they think the purchasers of said package are goin to do with it? Honestly, I thought I was hosed badly by Ford...and I was. Randy's deal is even more heartbreaking.

Ford needed to set the buying public at ease with this 6.7 engine. AS time goes by, it appears they learned little about customer relations during their 6.0/6.4 debacles.

My truck has been in the shop 5 times. 4 of these trips have been 100% engine related. Shame on Ford...

My latest confirmed kills on Ford 6.7 truck sales just hit 41...that makes $410,000 in lost profits over a $8000 cost to Ford for a warranty claim...over a 50 times loss on their failed investment...Good one Ford

Peace

Old 01-10-2012, 03:52 PM
randito
Junior User
I'll go thru it again, step by step:
November 20- 2011, I'm driving in fog after a predator hunt. We were filming for a TV show for the outdoor channel and it got too foggy to film. I hear what sounds a bit like a low tire, but when I pull over, I notice the engine really running rough. No low tire, no warning light of any kind. I limp back, about 35 miles to my ranch, pull in my shop, and unload the hunting chair. I got up the next morning, called Rogers ford, told them what happened. I was told to bring it in. I made it to within 1 mile of their shop, it quit, said stop engine. It sat there for 2 weeks, and after much coaxing to my sales guy they said they'd take a look and see if it was something small. I got a call the next day saying it had a broken or burned off glow plug, so it would require deeper mechanical work. It sat there a few more weeks and I was losing money every week for my guide service. They did finally pull a head on the passenger’s side, and called me to inform me it would need a new motor, because I had run through water and the filter was full of water. I immediately went up there and saw the head and block. He showed me the filter , which seems just a little damp, but I couldn't tell if it was water or whatever. Bottom line is. I NEVER WAS EVEN CLOSE TO WATER!!!!! I told him that and he all but called me a liar. They told me the only way they would order a new motor was if I agreed to pay for it if the rep said no warranty. They said the rep would be there to look at it the week before Christmas. He did not show up until the first week of January. They told me I’d get a call when he arrived, and I never did receive that call. So, the service guy called and told me the warranty would not cover my motor. I went up to find out why, and he told me the guy was only there for a short time, and he didn’t get the notes from the rep, but should have them the next day. I still have not seen the reasoning. I was a bit irate and called the owner an *******. He told me to leave, so I did. Then, the service rep called and told me to find someone else to fix my truck, they were not going to fix it. After a call and kiss back to the owner, they agreed to fix it. HOWEVER.. here it is the 10th of January, and it’s still in the shop. Wow, can things possibly go any worse??? I’m officially done with Ford. I have 2 personal KR 6.7s, as well as 6 other trucks in my business. (just bought a new shop truck early November)so, I will be pahazing out all fords, and going to Chevrolet. Sux, because I loved my truck. Oh well.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:01 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rickatic
Doesn't Ford sell a snow plow package for these trucks? What do they think the purchasers of said package are goin to do with it? Honestly, I thought I was hosed badly by Ford...and I was. Randy's deal is even more heartbreaking.

Ford needed to set the buying public at ease with this 6.7 engine. AS time goes by, it appears they learned little about customer relations during their 6.0/6.4 debacles.

My truck has been in the shop 5 times. 4 of these trips have been 100% engine related. Shame on Ford...

My latest confirmed kills on Ford 6.7 truck sales just hit 41...that makes $410,000 in lost profits over a $8000 cost to Ford for a warranty claim...over a 50 times loss on their failed investment...Good one Ford

Peace

Rickatic, what 6.4 debacle did Ford encounter? The 6.4 (MaxForce 7) is a diesel engine in Navistar's lineup with a B50 life of 350,000 miles.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:14 PM
randito
Junior User
Guess what??? still not ready, said maybe tomorrow, BUT no explanation.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:14 PM
randito
Junior User
Good news is west Texas is flat... no cliffs to jump off of!!!

Old 01-10-2012, 04:15 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by randito
Guess what??? still not ready, said maybe tomorrow, BUT no explanation.
I hope you can get something out of them before you hand them the check! GOOD LUCK!

Old 01-10-2012, 04:19 PM
randito
Junior User
Oh and get this... I have to pay $3000.00 core charge.

Quick Reply: Unbelievable