Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 06:00 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Out of all the ones I've been on the OH tollway roads are the worst and IL actual toll stops are the worst. But they all suck.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:24 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
Toll's, I've never seen one in my life but i'll be dealing with them shortly as i'll be in Chicago in July. I plan to get an EZ pass with the rental car so i don't have to worry about it until after the fact. Good idea?
Chicago's tolls suck, get the ez pass. You have to pull off like an exit to pay and then merge back in. If you have the pass just stay on the tollway.

If you have a camper try to stay in the center lanes or you might hit a bridge.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:29 PM
BigGreenEx
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So my replacement Reese dual cams arrived today. Question for everyone. I have a tubular trailer frame and the original self tapping bolts that were installed have "wallowed" out the holes, the directions say to not drill all the way through on tubular frames. Would you drill all the way through and get longer, heavier bolts? Or, would you buy larger self tapping bolts to fill in the oversized holes? I've moved from the original dual cam to the dual cam HP and they look a lot more substantial. I believe they will hold up a lot better than the original, especially considering that I am going to install them correctly.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:52 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Originally Posted by BigGreenEx
So my replacement Reese dual cams arrived today. Question for everyone. I have a tubular trailer frame and the original self tapping bolts that were installed have "wallowed" out the holes, the directions say to not drill all the way through on tubular frames. Would you drill all the way through and get longer, heavier bolts? Or, would you buy larger self tapping bolts to fill in the oversized holes? I've moved from the original dual cam to the dual cam HP and they look a lot more substantial. I believe they will hold up a lot better than the original, especially considering that I am going to install them correctly.
I put 1/8 inch metal plates on the inside and outside of my tubular frame and the put through bolts through them. Had every kind of problem imaginable until I did that. Now towed through 35 states and about 20k with no problems.

B

Old 06-03-2015, 07:35 PM
BigGreenEx
Tuned
Originally Posted by Jmatthews
I put 1/8 inch metal plates on the inside and outside of my tubular frame and the put through bolts through them. Had every kind of problem imaginable until I did that. Now towed through 35 states and about 20k with no problems.

B

Thank you for the response. I guess a more specific question would be, should I be worried about weakening the tongue of my trailer by drilling all the way through if those plates are not actually welded? It's a 36' trailer over all with a 888 lbs dry tongue weight.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:12 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

The problem comes when the through bolts crush the tube steel making it weaker. The plates prevent that. You have to drill holes on one side anyway I don't think the holes will make it weaker.

There is no good way to prevent the bolts from doing that without the plates imho, like I say it's worked for me

Old 06-04-2015, 07:52 AM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you rent a car with the ezpass thing it does work great once you know its there. It comes with its own set of charges though. Only downfall can be if its not cleared from the last renter as I was charged for driving through the Lincoln tunnel which I never did. It would be nice if they would email me a picture of it or something as the price to drive through it was up there.;-)

Old 06-04-2015, 08:28 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Originally Posted by 05MilMachine
If you rent a car with the ezpass thing it does work great once you know its there. It comes with its own set of charges though. Only downfall can be if its not cleared from the last renter as I was charged for driving through the Lincoln tunnel which I never did. It would be nice if they would email me a picture of it or something as the price to drive through it was up there.;-)
I went through the Lincoln tunnel with my camper.... At rush hour. And no I did not turn off my propane

Old 06-04-2015, 08:35 AM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Excellent idea!

Joe

B

Old 06-04-2015, 11:08 PM
Tuquala
Senior User

BigGreenEx: Reese has rivet nuts for tubular frames that should take care of the old holes. They are very substantial, you drill out to 11/16" and then install with the orig bolts. They sent me a set, haven't used them yet. The frame on my new trailer is a lot thicker than the last one, and after installing the brackets (after using a tap) they have not loosened one bit.

In 3 different DC HP installs, I have never had a problem with the cam bracket bolts loosening or stripping. I think that some of the damage that occurs is due to bar to hanger interference, causing a sideways push on the brackets. Seems like that is more common to the trunnion (square) bar and a top mounted coupler. I use a round bar, and have had no damage from interference or contact of the bar and hanger. Just a thought.

I would think that the rivnuts would be a simple fix and almost, if not the same, effectiveness as plating. Also a lot less work. You still have a hollow tube frame that can be bent or crushed if clamping bolts are overtightened.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:32 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Chicago's tolls suck, get the ez pass. You have to pull off like an exit to pay and then merge back in. If you have the pass just stay on the tollway.

If you have a camper try to stay in the center lanes or you might hit a bridge.
I'll have a midsize sedan so i should be good, it sounds like it'll be a new experience to say the least! We land in the evening and head directly out of Chicago to Grand Rapids, MI.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:44 AM
BigGreenEx
Tuned
Originally Posted by Tuquala

BigGreenEx: Reese has rivet nuts for tubular frames that should take care of the old holes. They are very substantial, you drill out to 11/16" and then install with the orig bolts. They sent me a set, haven't used them yet. The frame on my new trailer is a lot thicker than the last one, and after installing the brackets (after using a tap) they have not loosened one bit.

In 3 different DC HP installs, I have never had a problem with the cam bracket bolts loosening or stripping. I think that some of the damage that occurs is due to bar to hanger interference, causing a sideways push on the brackets. Seems like that is more common to the trunnion (square) bar and a top mounted coupler. I use a round bar, and have had no damage from interference or contact of the bar and hanger. Just a thought.

I would think that the rivnuts would be a simple fix and almost, if not the same, effectiveness as plating. Also a lot less work. You still have a hollow tube frame that can be bent or crushed if clamping bolts are overtightened.
I think I will be ordering those. I remember reading about them and then got caught up with other ideas. You are correct, I have a top mounted hitch and a fairly tall frame, that in combination with the ball pitch being incorrect really reeked havoc on the hangers.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:38 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went through the Lincoln tunnel with my camper.... At rush hour. And no I did not turn off my propane
You really are bad

Old 06-05-2015, 07:07 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

BAAAD Michael, BAAAD.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:14 AM
BigGreenEx
Tuned
Originally Posted by BigGreenEx
Thanks, I'll try and post more pictures. I looked for a year to find it and ended up buying it out of Canada from a private seller. 2005 Eddie Bauer with 76,000 when I got it. I'm super happy with it.
Took a while, but I'm posting more pics. I've been pretty busy.

A lot of you know my daughter was born with a brain injury and we are trying our hardest to live a "normal" life for our boys and our little angel. They really enjoy camping.

Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!