Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Now what

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 03:27 PM
quader94
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now what

Yesterday I was driving my 2001 7.3 excursion down the road and I noticed the temp guage was pinned at the top. So i pulled over and shut it off. Then I checked my oil and it was like wayyyyyy over the high line. Also my coolant was really low but showed no signs of leaks. I called ford and they said to bring it in right away. I brought it in and they looked at it today and said the motors toast

any ideas on how this happened? I guess the coolant got into the oil????

thanks

Old 10-29-2010, 03:35 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
can they be more specific on "the motor is toast"

It could be a head gasket or cracked head which is a lot less than a whole motor.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:57 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Like Steve said. Why is the engine toast? What did they do to come to that conclusion?

Old 10-29-2010, 04:16 PM
quader94
Freshman User
They drained the oil and pressurized the coolant system and coolant came out the drain pan.

Is this something internal or is the oil cooler bad or what?

ford said I need a new long block

Old 10-29-2010, 04:34 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

I don't think it could be the cooler, if the cooler was bad you would have had oil in the coolant not coolant in the oil ( I think) but it could be a cracked head or blown head gasket.

A new long block would fix that but I would rather see the heads come off for diagnostics. Either way if the dealership does the work it's not going to be cheap. new OEM long blocks can be had for ~4700 with a good core ( which you might not have)

is a motor swap something you think you could do yourself?

Old 10-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Deluxe06
4000 rounds a min
Originally Posted by clem1226
I don't think it could be the cooler, if the cooler was bad you would have had oil in the coolant not coolant in the oil ( I think) but it could be a cracked head or blown head gasket.

A new long block would fix that but I would rather see the heads come off for diagnostics. Either way if the dealership does the work it's not going to be cheap. new OEM long blocks can be had for ~4700 with a good core ( which you might not have)

is a motor swap something you think you could do yourself?
Steve,
Yes he would have oil in the coolant (is there signs of oil in the degas bottle?) but the coolant would have got in the oil after he shut down the engine do to the drop in oil pressure and the increese in coolant pressure from overheating.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:55 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Deluxe06
Steve,
Yes he would have oil in the coolant (is there signs of oil in the degas bottle?) but the coolant would have got in the oil after he shut down the engine do to the drop in oil pressure and the increese in coolant pressure from overheating.
]
Good info, I forgot that tidbit!! Nice catch!!

so if they pressurize the cooling system with the engine OFF and the cooler is bad......bingo, coolant out the drain plug in the pan. It's a cheap check to pull the cooler off and inspect the o rings.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by quader94
ford said I need a new long block
Ford said I needed a new 2011 truck when all I needed were new batteries. Seriously. This was last week and they actually said I would be better off trading in my truck due to the miles and buy something new with a warranty. I asked for replacement batteries since mine were under warranty and they refused because I didn't have my original purchase receipt. I did have the receipt from last summer when they were replaced under warranty and it had been less than 3 years still so they should have been replaced again. They showed the original purchase in their computer, with the date but still refused to honor the warranty because I didn't have the original receipt in my hand. (Robert Horne Ford in Apache Junction AZ).

Of course I had the original receipt at home so I fetched it and went to another dealership and they promptly replaced both my batteries. (Berge Ford in Mesa AZ).

So, I would not trust the dealership with your cash. If you are mechanically skilled and have the will, these guys will get you back on the road for a lot less money than the dealer will. I third the 'check the oil cooler' suggestion.

Sorry for the rant but getting raped by the dealership is becoming more and more common and I hate to see it happen. I hope the dealer is wrong and your engine is not toast.

Subscribing.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Deluxe06
4000 rounds a min
Here is a thread to read very informative. Hope this helps, not trying to scare you in any way. Just hopping your problem doesn't turn out to be what his was. If I were you I would get the truck home and start trouble shooting it my self along with the help of FTE. Alot of these guys are very helpful.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...y-mongo75.html

Old 10-29-2010, 09:05 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
By all means check your coolant for oil. I had an oil cooler o-ring go bad and got oil in the coolant and coolant in the oil. Fortunately I caught it early via UOA. There's a thread by Cody (cleatus12r) on oil cooler R&R.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:12 PM
AverageX
Senior User
Evening everyone, I have more to add to quader's issue. He's my son
01X 142K bought in March 119K. New trani,steering box,tires,and basically a clean Limited
I do the maintenance on the truck,Rotella 15-40 and all the basics every 5k ,The expansion tank looked funny on Sunday .kinda like a snapple at the bottom but on the surface . Added a little anti-freeze.
Drove to the Jersey shore. On the way home I looked down and the high temp light was on . looked at the gauge and yup (Pinned). I pulled over an shut it off . Opened the hood and the tank was empty . I looked all under and around the truck and nothing was wet ??? I sat there for 25 minutes and started the truck . Temp mid range . Started to drive down the shoulder to get to a gas station and thought !!! Oil . Shut it off and pulled the dip stick . 1 1/2 over full . UH OH !! That's where it went.
Towed it to a Ford Dealer and I'm being told "Based on their test " It's not the " O " rings . Something internal let go . I don't believe them . I called a Diesel shop (large equipment) and ran it by the guy . I buy my Stanadyne fuel additive from him . He said oil cooler .
I'm gonna tow it to my house Monday and take the cooler off. It broke down 2 weeks ago to the day . Alt went . Towed it home . Charged the batteries and checked the output and yup Alts bad . I fix pretty much everything on it but this one threw me a curve .
Your help is greatly appreciated .

Old 10-29-2010, 09:44 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
AverageX,

Welcome to .

Here's the LINK to Cody's oil cooler R&R, and a diagram of the oil cooler should you need them.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:54 PM
Deluxe06
4000 rounds a min
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
There's a thread by Cody (cleatus12r) on oil cooler R&R.
Here's the thread Cody did. Good read. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...e-of-year.html

Ahh you beat me to it

Old 10-29-2010, 10:21 PM
AverageX
Senior User
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
AverageX,

Welcome to .

Here's the LINK to Cody's oil cooler R&R, and a diagram of the oil cooler should you need them.

Thanks I have been looking into the cooler . It's a easy R&R . Well it looks it

Old 10-29-2010, 10:25 PM
AverageX
Senior User
Originally Posted by Deluxe06
Here's the thread Cody did. Good read. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...e-of-year.html

Ahh you beat me to it

It looks like the 6.0 has a EGR cooler . Does the 7.3 have one ? I just read a bunch about a 6.0 going . First Head gaskets ,then cooler then EGR cooler ,oil filter etc . I can't imaging mine went that fast .

Quick Reply: Now what