Oil Cooler How To...since it's that time of year. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler How To...since it's that time of year.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Postmaster

cleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputation
Oil Cooler How To...since it's that time of year.

I posted this over at the Nation as well. If anyone is looking to tackle this......

I've been doing quite a few oil cooler reseals lately due to the cold weather and decided since I've ran across a few threads on them, I decided to do a write up on how to. I did this one this morning in about 45 minutes. E99 F-450 2wd.

First, drain the coolant from the driver's side of the block by removing the block heater element.

Here's the removed oil cooler all covered with nasty, baked-on grease.
3 bolts above the oil filter and 2 bolts into the front cover.

Next, I use a rubber dead blow mallet to remove the end caps. They usually fall right off since the seals are hard and brittle.

Here is the oil cooler after cleaning. I usually don't try to clean out the core passages since the oil side is full of fins that can collect dirt and grease....then end up in the engine lubrication system. Just clean the exterior of the core to reduce the chance of damage. The center of the core contains the coolant passages.

I use trans-gel or vasoline to lubricate the o-rings for reassembly. Here is some white grease to show in detail where I lubricate. Don't forget to lubricate the inner chamfer for the coolant o-ring.

Here is how I press the end caps back on the core. The core will eventually slide into the end caps. No laughing at my bald spot or gray hairs.
Also note the locating tab on the rear end cap.

Good luck with the installation of your completed oil cooler reseal. Don't forget to remove the old gaskets and clean the block mating surfaces before torquing the attachment bolts to 18 ft.lbs.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Post Fiend

CampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputation
That's a great write up! I will certainly remember this if/when the time comes!
Old 11-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Postmaster

ernesteugene has a very good reputation on FTE.ernesteugene has a very good reputation on FTE.ernesteugene has a very good reputation on FTE.
Yuck... those pictures definitely give me "pause for concern" because my "oil cooler" is inside my engine and leaking oil coolers are a known issue for my C7!
Old 11-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Postmaster

pjwoolw is a name known to allpjwoolw is a name known to allpjwoolw is a name known to allpjwoolw is a name known to allpjwoolw is a name known to allpjwoolw is a name known to all
Nice write up Cody!
Old 11-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Great write up as always Cody. Now for a question, what does the cold weather have to do with the failure? O-rings shrinking or becoming brittle in the cold?

With the breeze it was a chilly 72 here today, so my definition of cold weather is probably different than yours.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:44 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
Great write up as always Cody. Now for a question, what does the cold weather have to do with the failure? O-rings shrinking or becoming brittle in the cold?

With the breeze it was a chilly 72 here today, so my definition of cold weather is probably different than yours.
Brrrrr, Chris Have you broke out the winter jacket yet?

Great write up and awesome pics to the OP.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Post Fiend

CampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputation
Quote:

Did you have to scrape the frost off the windshield or do you park your truck inside? Time to put the snow plows on and get ready!
Old 11-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Senior User

99hunter is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great thread, but i have to laugh about you shert.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:31 PM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance View Post
Brrrrr, Chris Have you broke out the winter jacket yet?
No, but I've been carrying around the medium coat in the back seat for a couple of weeks. It's cold in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn View Post
Did you have to scrape the frost off the windshield or do you park your truck inside? Time to put the snow plows on and get ready!
The only plows I've been around are the kind you put in dirt. Even the big cities down here don't own a snow plow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99hunter View Post
Great thread, but i have to laugh about you shert.
No need to laugh. That's what Cody does for a living.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Senior User

I'm sorry I was not trying to be mean, I just found it funny with out any harm to any one person or brand. But in all honesty his thread with pictures and comentary Is very good!
Old 11-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99hunter View Post
I'm sorry I was not trying to be mean, I just found it funny with out any harm to any one person or brand. But in all honesty his thread with pictures and comentary Is very good!
It's OK. You're allowed to poke fun at him, just no need to laugh. He gets his paycheck one way, but his interests are in the 7.3, right Cody?
Old 11-28-2009, 11:06 PM
Senior User

It's all good. And all apreciated!
Old 11-30-2009, 04:20 PM
Posting Guru

strokersace has a very good reputation on FTE.strokersace has a very good reputation on FTE.strokersace has a very good reputation on FTE.
Thanks for this Cody. I'll be doing this to one, possibly 2 psd's in the very near future.

Reps sent.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Post Fiend

rbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
I have been wondering that for a while now.A friends truck will leak at the oil cooler in the winter months here if he don't plug in the heater for a while before he starts it.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Postmaster

cleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputation
Quote:
. Now for a question, what does the cold weather have to do with the failure? O-rings shrinking or becoming brittle in the cold?

I would have to say it is a combination of the cold and the o-rings becoming brittle......only because the o-rings usually come off in two pieces (and if they didn't break coming off, they never would since they are hard as a rock).

Not too many oil cooler seals get done around here until it gets cold.

We have been living in the 40's for highs lately but the mornings are in the single digits. This weekend is supposed to be around 0 for lows.