Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Crewcab Only Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 01:04 PM
pruitt
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its not real bad, the drip rails and door jams all seem real solid, it does have some rust around the front windshield and it will need the usual cab corners and floor pans, and im sure there will be more upon further inspection, there is some surface rust on the roof at the drip rails in a few small spots, first thing is to address this and around the window before it gets any worse. when i went and picked it up it was missing so bad i thought the trans was slipping, and i felt i was losing my tail the way i was trading, but after plugs, wire, cap and button she is smooth as silk, im gonna put the axles from under the crew under the super cab and pull the 60's and 6in superduty springs out of the super and use in the crew, im waiting on my high steer arms so i can fab up the steering since the front clip is already off of the super then i will put my 460 back in the super cab and drive it until i finish the crew, right now i am driving the truck that i pulled the 60's out of and put the super cab axles back under and it is a standard cab, with me, my son in his car seat and the wife, things can get tight so the super is needed

Old 10-05-2009, 03:17 PM
pvillebo
Freshman User
Yeah Pruitt,nice ride.I want lots of pics and comments on what you have to do in order to put the cummins in there.I know its been done right many times before but I have never talked to anybody that has done it.I would like to put one in mine someday,that is why I am asking for lots of posts when you get started.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:47 PM
prettyray
New User
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, and had a question about my 1979 F350 Crew Cab. I'm trying to change the existing flat bed to a fleet side. I've already changed my front rotors to accept a single wheel instead of dually and the existing rear drums seem to line up nicely, but I need to get rid of this flat bed and can't seem to find a used F350 fleet side anywhere. Can I cannibalize the bed from an F250 instead?

Thanks

Old 10-05-2009, 04:12 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by pvillebo
Yeah Pruitt,nice ride.I want lots of pics and comments on what you have to do in order to put the cummins in there.I know its been done right many times before but I have never talked to anybody that has done it.I would like to put one in mine someday,that is why I am asking for lots of posts when you get started.
Have you looked in the motor swap forum????

I am a little biased towards this one (don't mind the pics on the 1st page - photobucket account changed and FTE won't let you go back to edit your posts after an hour has gone by)
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ew-cab-32.html

but these are also good!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...onversion.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...mins-swap.html

I'm sure if you searched for "cummins" down there in the motor swap forum you'd come up with a few more too

Old 10-05-2009, 04:56 PM
ranger429
Logistics Pro
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Well it looks like the formica is going to be the way I go. I can get it in one piece and from the test fit of the sample the guy gave me it looks like it will work fine.

The way I left it today.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Todds79
Senior User
pruitt,

Nice truck. A ways to go, but you will happy with it when it's done.

ranger429,

Never thought about formica, but looks like it will work perfectly. Should not sag over time like some of the wood based products will do. Keep on with it! I remember when mine looked like that (lots of filler and sanding), but, knowing what your others look like, I can't wait to see the finished product.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:46 PM
pvillebo
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
Have you looked in the motor swap forum????

I am a little biased towards this one (don't mind the pics on the 1st page - photobucket account changed and FTE won't let you go back to edit your posts after an hour has gone by)
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ew-cab-32.html

but these are also good!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...onversion.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...mins-swap.html

I'm sure if you searched for "cummins" down there in the motor swap forum you'd come up with a few more too

Thanks Chase.Thats about all I can do right now is just look at the pictures.When I am able to do the swap I am going to go over to my cousins and do the swap over there.He is a lot more familiar with it than I am.Last year he put a 7.3 powerstroke in his Bronco.But just in case he ever joins our little community lets not mention anything about him helping me.He doesn't know yet.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:40 PM
pruitt
Junior User
thanks todd , i believe i will be happy also, i have been waiting for this one. my first plans were to put a 4bt cummins with a m5r2 and np205 in my supercab then i had second thoughts about pulling the trailers that i own and thought they might toast the trany and smallblock ford clutch that joins them so i have a m5r2 mated to a 205 ready to go and a 4bt ready to go to the machine shop setting in my basement, my wife wants a SUV and im trying to talk here into an early bronco with this set up in it, maybe i will win.

pvillebo i will try to document the best i can, but i learn a lot by setting back and reading on this GREAT site there is a lot of guys with a lot of knowledge on here

Old 10-05-2009, 10:59 PM
pvillebo
Freshman User
Thats cool Pruitt.Whatever you have a chance to post will be fine with me.And I have to agree with you about how good this site is.The guys up here have been able to answer every question that I have had so far.I have also learned a lot for no longer than I have been up here.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by prettyray
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, and had a question about my 1979 F350 Crew Cab. I'm trying to change the existing flat bed to a fleet side. I've already changed my front rotors to accept a single wheel instead of dually and the existing rear drums seem to line up nicely, but I need to get rid of this flat bed and can't seem to find a used F350 fleet side anywhere. Can I cannibalize the bed from an F250 instead?

Thanks
Did it originally come with a box? Or was it a commercial truck with its dually rear?

Any bed should work as long as it will be the correct wheelbase. For some, you may need to relocate the mounting points.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:13 PM
scottbral
Junior User
Found a '78 4x4 Crew and have a couple q's for the pro's

Hi guys,

Been on here a while and posted about my 78 supercab in other threads but have an itch for a crew cab and found one. Couple questions for the pro's if you don't mind.

This truck has been used a hunting truck for years and has seen some serious use. When test driving it the starter bendix hung up for a minute on start, it hunted back and forth down the road (seemed like it needs an alignment), the brakes were soft, window and door seals were gone, rust holes in the floor, surface roof rust above the windshield seal, rust on the bottoms of the doors, etc. All the normal stuff you'd kinda expect to find on one of these.

The thing that concerned me and is making me hesitate on buying it was that when putting it in 4WD the thing was bucking a lot and seemed like the left wheel was binding up. In a turn it would hop and bounce and then when letting off the gas it would decelerate the truck to a stop without using the brakes. Then when I tried to take the t-fer case out of 4wd and put it in 2wd the lever could not be moved. Even with doing the drive - neutral - reverse thing. Also while the t-fer case was locked up I could not unlock the hubs.

I've not ventured into the Ford 4wd thing yet so I don't know how to troubleshoot.

So, Pro's.... what do you think?

Thanks, Scott

Old 10-12-2009, 04:29 PM
ranger429
Logistics Pro
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Well if it's hopping and bucking in 4wd only then it is a front axle problem. 1st thing to check is the axle U-joint on the left side. It really doesn't sound like it is a big problem and wouldn't stop me from buying the truck, rust would. Look very carefully at that rust around the windhield, they were notorious for rusting out in that area and the drip rail area.

I've had plenty of these trucks where the T-case shifter was hard to remove or put into 4wd. If they sit for a long time and never get put into 4wd the shifter linkage can rust up, really not a hard fix.

If a crewcab is what your after and the price is right buy it, they are getting very hard to find.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:59 PM
78_f800crewcab4x4
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by ranger429

If a crewcab is what your after and the price is right buy it, they are getting very hard to find.
when i put an add out a month ago on CList for my 2wd crew cab, i had it listed for 3500.00 and i got alot of calls, alot of very interested people wanting it BAD, except i was unable to find the title, so i had to hold on to it. It seems like their popularity is going up alot.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:41 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
It's funny. Since the "economic downturn" I am seeing more and more come up for sale. They seem to be coming out of the woodwork around here

Old 10-18-2009, 10:01 AM
bronkntrukholik
Senior User
This is my solid '74 crewcab 4x4, it has a 360 w/a 4spd and 4.10's. I am planning on doing a power steering conversion and a possible diesel conversion to gain some mpg and torque for towing, what is anyones take of a '85 6.9 diesel w/a 4spd, or should i hold out for a turbo equipted?
Name:  DadsCamera108.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  190.6 KB

Quick Reply: Crewcab Only Thread.