2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 04:17 PM
jbone108
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loaner?

how are you guys getting loaners from your dealor?

Old 10-20-2004, 06:43 PM
tksmitty
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ITDave
JUst asked my dealer for copies of Recalls and TSB's on my truck, they told me they cannot give me copies of them. When did this change?

Thanks,

Dave
I think they have to give you any Recalls but TSB's they try to keep secret so you don't ask them to fix issues you may not have. Either way it is ridicolous they should tell you about them if you ask,

Old 10-20-2004, 07:06 PM
Dan Stiles
New User
NHTSA - Office of Defects Investigation

For whatever it is worth, you can review the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's list of defect investigations for any vehicle including the 2004 F-150. They list 48 items for the F-150 and assign each a Service Bulletin Number, Date of Bulletin and NHTSA Item Number. (WWW.NHTSA.DOT.GOV). Way down on the list is the one we all are interested in --"Service Bulletin Number 0433, NHTSA Item Number 10007362, Component: Suspension, Date January 26, 2004, Summary: Vibration at highway Speeds" One can request research but frankly it seems unfair to me to hold back (sell) this information and it looks expensive. And, thanks to tksmitty, we don't have to. Dan Stiles

Old 10-20-2004, 08:43 PM
rebellangley
Freshman User
Talking

Originally Posted by jbone108
how are you guys getting loaners from your dealor?

RAISE HELL !!!!!!

Old 10-21-2004, 07:41 AM
dcurry1
Freshman User
F-150 loaner

I went back to my sales person. The service department was going to put me in a Neon or something compact like that, said it was the best they could do....my husband told them no way in Hell and went back to the guy we bought the truck from and ever since then, anytime I take it in for repairs the salesman has a truck filled up and waiting...the way I see it they owe me a comparable vehicle to the one that I dropped off (even if they all have the same problem as mine )....when they quit being nice to me I will quit being nice to them. I am giving them till the 4th time I have to put my truck back in and then all the little nasty thoughts of putting signs on my truck and calling news stations are going to start..... unless they take back the truck lock, stock and barrel. If it weren't for my hubby I probably would have already lost it! I did buy a new truck didn't I? Doesn't feel like it right now...... missed out on the whole joy of driving and enjoying the feel and smell of a new vehicle .

Old 10-21-2004, 04:21 PM
jbone108
Senior User
well after my second trip they are telling me drive shaft. I'm just happy that they found something this time. my call to Ford and bring the TSB with me must have helped.

Old 10-21-2004, 06:39 PM
zeusdog
Junior User
Jbone, it's not the drive shaft. They replaced mine the 2nd or 3rd time or maybe it was the 4th time I brought it back. I know it wasn't the 5th or 6th time because it was the 6th time the Ford field service engineer (definately not an engineer) told me that it was a "characteritic of these trucks" So I guess it should be a selling point.

Old 10-21-2004, 07:33 PM
jbone108
Senior User
I hope you're wrong but something tells me you're not. I also found out today a guy I work just bought one and has the same problem. he will be taking his in for service next week.

Old 10-21-2004, 07:43 PM
zeusdog
Junior User
The Ford Field Service Engineer told me....

The Ford Field Service Engineer told me that the vibration is a "characteristic of these trucks". Haven't you been reading my posts? If not , they have replace the driveshaft, all the wheels, all the tires, front wheels again after they replaced the front hubs, had to order special wheel weights from Rotunda for the inside of the front wheels, installed a steering damper, Hunter Road Forced the vehicle 4 times. After taking a day off work to meet with the Ford Field Service Engineer he told me there is no fix, Ford has no plan on a fix and this is the way these new 2004's drive. Why did they spend so much time and money to fix a problem that is a "characteristic". Because the truck sucks. I'm talking to a lawyer. This is unacceptable. I was told when I bought the truck if they couldn't fix it they would give me a new truck. They didn't, they lied. I gave them a chance to make it right and they blew it. I've never even thought about suing anybody before but they won't let me return the truck so I have no other choice. I only wonder why more people haven't raised hell about this. According to the Ford Engineer, they all do it.

Old 10-21-2004, 09:17 PM
bcbob1
New User
Sorry to hear about all your problems, hope you can get some satisfaction. The Ford engineer is wrong, they all don't do it. I picked up my 2004 lariat 4x4 supercab yesterday and it runs as smooth as any car or truck i've driven. After reading all the posts on this forum I was very aware of the vibration problem and test drove many trucks. Alot had vibration, some just felt like they were stiff and transfered the rough road into the steering wheel and cab and others were smooth over the same roads. Doesn't sound like an easy fix or ford would have come up with something. Good luck!

Old 10-21-2004, 11:52 PM
Patinabq
New User
Smile I can live with it.

Sometime ago I posted a comment on my 04 Lariat Screw vibration. What I feel is a slight vibration between 39 and 41 mph, this vibration is so faint that no one else riding in the truck knows its happening until I point out to them. Other than this little problem this is the best riding, most quiet and best handling truck I've ever driven. I just returned from a 1200 mile trip through the mountains of Colorado and that 5.4 pulled this truck at a 17.5 measured MPG. I have nothing but praise for this truck and if ford does not find a fix for it I can live with this minor problem from an otherwise outstanding Black Lariat. Incidently someone in another post wanted to know how to remove the black letters from the F-150 side and rear emblems: I masked the emblem and with a small paint brush, applied paint remover to the black paint and wiped it off. Really looks great.

Old 10-22-2004, 01:46 AM
ITDave
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Patinabq
Sometime ago I posted a comment on my 04 Lariat Screw vibration. What I feel is a slight vibration between 39 and 41 mph, this vibration is so faint that no one else riding in the truck knows its happening until I point out to them. Other than this little problem this is the best riding, most quiet and best handling truck I've ever driven. I just returned from a 1200 mile trip through the mountains of Colorado and that 5.4 pulled this truck at a 17.5 measured MPG. I have nothing but praise for this truck and if ford does not find a fix for it I can live with this minor problem from an otherwise outstanding Black Lariat. Incidently someone in another post wanted to know how to remove the black letters from the F-150 side and rear emblems: I masked the emblem and with a small paint brush, applied paint remover to the black paint and wiped it off. Really looks great.
Can you post before and after pics of this?

Thanks,

Dave

Old 10-22-2004, 04:50 AM
04FX4150
Junior User
I posted this a while ago

just to let everyone know, one of the best ways to get some responce from ford is to complain to the NHTSA, they have the ability to investigate trouble reports, order recalls, ect.
also the reports are public information and can be viewed by all,
plus by checking the box [ let company know Your name ] ford will know that it is You making the complaint,
I would think that ford monitors these types of things and might just get You some real action, or at least a fix for the problems we're all expereincing,
and as I was reading thru this web site I noticed a section where company's are supposed to file anticipated problem reports, so there just might be more going on behind the scenes, than we're told

The More That Complain The Better our chances for some type of remedy

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Chris
<!-- / message -->

Old 10-22-2004, 06:24 AM
F250Wildman
Senior User
I honestly believe that some of the vibration come from the outboard shocks. they are right at the point of impact which is the tires. I notice on my truck on different roads you have different feels. I do not have the vibrations that y'all talk about, but I feel that the shocks right at the wheel transmits more of the inperfections that is in the road. more so than the earlier '99-'03 with inboard shocks. I have '04 FX4 S-Cab.
it has close to 5000 miles with no problems.

Old 10-22-2004, 07:54 AM
Charlie51
New User
Picked up my truck last night - they installed a dampner kit. At time or ordering I told the service advisor that it sounded like a band aid and wasn't going to solve the real problem. He agreed but didn't know what else to do. So now they say the dampner kit has reduced the vibration but it is still noticeable. I asked what was next and they said to wait for ford to come up with fix. I just left. I need to know what my options are at this time - I do not feel like I should have to wait for Ford to fix. When will that be?
Has anyone had any succes in getting this problem fixed? Ford seems to being throwing out a lot of possible fixes but I have not heard of one that works.
Truck has 2,600 miles on it - have not had the new vehicle feeling for a long time.
Would like to give it back to them but afraid I do not have enough time spent on this to qualifiy under lemon law.
Tires have been road forced balanced
stearing gear replaced
drive shaft replaced
dampner kit installed
What now?

Quick Reply: The Vibration