Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Chevy vs. Ford ??? or....

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 02:03 AM
Mr GoodWrench8
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Chevy vs. Ford ??? or....

Lately ive been seeing alot of Dodge Trucks commercials and just recently they've showed a 2004 Dodge Hemi vs a 2004 Ford F-150 pulling some cool looking vintage cars and at the end of it said "Dodge Ram Wins" and late in the afternoon they've showed another truck vs truck but only with the Cummins Diesel vs. the Powerstroke and at the end same thing like above, is the old saying Chevy vs. Ford over and now, Dodge vs. Ford seems like it to me, Chevy isnt that far off in the war of horsepower and torque but seems like dodge is taking a bite out of ford in there commericals, no arguement needed just have you guys seen these commericals?

Old 06-13-2004, 02:06 AM
Peter94
Postmaster
Yeah i have. I thought the powerstroke can crush the cummins? or am i thinkin the duramax?

Old 06-13-2004, 02:12 AM
Mr GoodWrench8
Freshman User
I dont know commericals never really tell the truth of the whole story they mostly tell the people to buy this and forget the rest.

Old 06-13-2004, 02:17 AM
SuperDutyHaulin
Elder User
Originally Posted by Mr GoodWrench8
I dont know commericals never really tell the truth of the whole story they mostly tell the people to buy this and forget the rest.
Exactly, comercial advertising executives find many ways to stretch the truth with their claims, test drive them all and pick the one you want. Nobody has a better opinion than yourself.

Old 06-13-2004, 11:57 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Would any company actually run a commercial that doesn't show their product as the winner? I don't think so.

Old 06-13-2004, 06:39 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 342 Likes on 208 Posts
Exactly. Commercials do lie...obviously. Take GM for instance...they claim to have the "most dependable, longest lasting truck on the road". Anyone who knows anything about things with four tires and an engine knows that GM makes the LEAST dependable, most poorly engineered vehicles you can buy. But if you want to sell vehicles, you have to have a strong PR department and you have to get your name out there. So you can't pay much attention to commercials.

However, Dodge IS now #2 in heavy duty pickup truck sales and is gaining on Ford. The horrible introduction of the new 6.0L PSD helped Dodge tremendously in that area. Like I said, we've worked our new Dodge to death and absolutely love it. My next personal truck will be a Cummins-powered Dodge. So anyway, it's no coincidence that you are seeing so many Dodge commercials on TV.

Old 06-13-2004, 06:43 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by WXboy
Exactly. Commercials do lie...obviously. Take GM for instance...they claim to have the "most dependable, longest lasting truck on the road". Anyone who knows anything about things with four tires and an engine knows that GM makes the LEAST dependable, most poorly engineered vehicles you can buy. But if you want to sell vehicles, you have to have a strong PR department and you have to get your name out there. So you can't pay much attention to commercials.

However, Dodge IS now #2 in heavy duty pickup truck sales and is gaining on Ford. The horrible introduction of the new 6.0L PSD helped Dodge tremendously in that area. Like I said, we've worked our new Dodge to death and absolutely love it. My next personal truck will be a Cummins-powered Dodge. So anyway, it's no coincidence that you are seeing so many Dodge commercials on TV.
I see you are still stuck on Dodge being in 2nd were did you come up with that brain storm? GM is in 2nd, Dodge 3rd, and of corse Ford is #1 and all ways be #1.

Old 06-13-2004, 10:55 PM
Ranch_Hand
Junior User
Dodge isnt Second Chevy is then Dodge, Dodge will always be last no matter what fancy name that put on there trucks. In those commericals they probably were using a less horsepower motor on the Ford and probably why that so called hemi motor smoked it, i think it will always be Ford vs. Chevy, forget Dodge there worthless without the cummins and the hemi.

Old 06-13-2004, 11:19 PM
Armada
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mr GoodWrench8
Lately ive been seeing alot of Dodge Trucks commercials and just recently they've showed a 2004 Dodge Hemi vs a 2004 Ford F-150 pulling some cool looking vintage cars and at the end of it said "Dodge Ram Wins" and late in the afternoon they've showed another truck vs truck but only with the Cummins Diesel vs. the Powerstroke and at the end same thing like above, is the old saying Chevy vs. Ford over and now, Dodge vs. Ford seems like it to me, Chevy isnt that far off in the war of horsepower and torque but seems like dodge is taking a bite out of ford in there commericals, no arguement needed just have you guys seen these commericals?
Hey Mr GoodWrench8. Consider checking out my several posts on the Hemi v. Hurricane thread. I researched the data from Car and Driver, Four Wheeler and Consumer Reports mags for '04 model large SUV's and 1/2 ton pickups. It includes both Ford and Chevy and also Dodge, Nissan and Toyota. It's all pretty consistent.

Chevy did not look so good by the cold hard numbers. Chevy does make a good truck. The engines have been reliable. I'm not knocking them, but I would respectfully disagree with your conclusion that Chevy is not that far off in horsepower and torque. Maybe not by mfg ratings, but those ratings don't hold very true in side-by-side performance comparisons. We're not talking "seat of the pants" impressions - these are real data with objective professional equipment. Each magazine tested its vehicles on the same day, same location, same altitude, temperature, barometric pressure.

I believe Ford makes a better truck than Chevy as far as gas engines are concerned. The Ford and Chevy engines perform pretty close to each other, but are seriously left behind by both the Dodge and the even stronger, quicker Nissan. Yea, the 305 hp Nissan is beating the 345 hp Dodge. Check it out.

I don't know much about the new Chevy Duramax. My family business has both Ford F-350 Powerstroke and Dodge Cummins dualies. They are older trucks. The Powerstroke has over 500,000 miles! The Dodge, a little newer, has 220,000. Both going strong. Just routine maintenance, for the most part. The Ford did need some head and fuel injection work at about 350,000, but that's pretty damn good, don't you think? The Dodge has had no significant problems. The Ford has a much heavier duty suspension. The Dodge is quicker (in part due to 4.10 gears in the diff), but more light duty, not due to the engine, but the suspension. We could have got the engine in a heavier truck, but did not need one quite that stiff. Different intended use. I don't have any data on comparison between any of the diesels.

Hope the data helps.

Old 06-13-2004, 11:22 PM
SuperDutyHaulin
Elder User
Driving a dodge, is like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Old 06-13-2004, 11:24 PM
SuperDutyHaulin
Elder User
Dont even get started with that titan POS

Old 06-13-2004, 11:32 PM
scarecro85
New User
Originally Posted by sglaine
I see you are still stuck on Dodge being in 2nd were did you come up with that brain storm? GM is in 2nd, Dodge 3rd, and of corse Ford is #1 and all ways be #1.
you speak the truth. ford WILL always be #1. i love my ford diesel simply for the fact that i'll never need first gear unless i'm gonna pull someone's house off of the foundation.

Old 06-13-2004, 11:39 PM
scarecro85
New User
Originally Posted by Armada
Hey Mr GoodWrench8. Consider checking out my several posts on the Hemi v. Hurricane thread. I researched the data from Car and Driver, Four Wheeler and Consumer Reports mags for '04 model large SUV's and 1/2 ton pickups. It includes both Ford and Chevy and also Dodge, Nissan and Toyota. It's all pretty consistent.

Chevy did not look so good by the cold hard numbers. Chevy does make a good truck. The engines have been reliable. I'm not knocking them, but I would respectfully disagree with your conclusion that Chevy is not that far off in horsepower and torque. Maybe not by mfg ratings, but those ratings don't hold very true in side-by-side performance comparisons. We're not talking "seat of the pants" impressions - these are real data with objective professional equipment. Each magazine tested its vehicles on the same day, same location, same altitude, temperature, barometric pressure.

I believe Ford makes a better truck than Chevy as far as gas engines are concerned. The Ford and Chevy engines perform pretty close to each other, but are seriously left behind by both the Dodge and the even stronger, quicker Nissan. Yea, the 305 hp Nissan is beating the 345 hp Dodge. Check it out.

I don't know much about the new Chevy Duramax. My family business has both Ford F-350 Powerstroke and Dodge Cummins dualies. They are older trucks. The Powerstroke has over 500,000 miles! The Dodge, a little newer, has 220,000. Both going strong. Just routine maintenance, for the most part. The Ford did need some head and fuel injection work at about 350,000, but that's pretty damn good, don't you think? The Dodge has had no significant problems. The Ford has a much heavier duty suspension. The Dodge is quicker (in part due to 4.10 gears in the diff), but more light duty, not due to the engine, but the suspension. We could have got the engine in a heavier truck, but did not need one quite that stiff. Different intended use. I don't have any data on comparison between any of the diesels.

Hope the data helps.
the powerstroke and the cummins are far superior to the duramax. the duramax is a p.o.s. in that it employs aluminum heads that are prone to
warping under the high-heat conditions out here in west texas.

Old 06-13-2004, 11:48 PM
Mr GoodWrench8
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Armada

Hope the data helps.
So your basing your idea's on reports and studies from magazines and car shows, to tell you the truth the people who test and report there responses on these trucks dont tell it like it is, you read one mag that tells you that one truck is better than the other, than another mag thats says that the other truck performs better than the other that was consider to be better.

Old 06-13-2004, 11:51 PM
Ranch_Hand
Junior User
Ahh crap another Nissian Guy

Quick Reply: Chevy vs. Ford ??? or....