Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Meanwhile Another Build Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 07:20 PM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
bjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant future
Meanwhile Another Build Thread

Since my 56 is still at the bodyshop, I decided to. Do a little work on my newly Aquired 53 Panel. When I went to pick it up the king pins were frozen. I tried to free them up while it sat on the trailer in front of the shop but one just wouldnít budge.

Soooo time for king pins. Finally got the drivers side off and took it and a spare over to the machinist to have them fitted. Alls well I couldnít beat the passenger side out. Went to ORielys and borrowed a ball joint tool as Harrier did. No Luck! Soo Iíll remove the axle and use my 20 Ton press. After multiple slips and parts flying all over the shop itís off. Whew But when I removed the axle I noticed the springs really moved side to side.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:23 PM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
bjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant future
So MidFifty to the rescue. New pins, bushings and u bolts. But wait thereís more. The steering box is loose where it mounts to the frame and by the looks of things itís probably dry.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:27 PM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster

A closer look since everything is out of the way reviled a loose rivet and a crack in the passenger side cab mount.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:31 PM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
Too much fun for one day! Nothing goes as planned. Oh did I mention the front upper Spring pin on the drivers side is frozen in the frame. Oh well, more fun for next time I get out to the shop.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:38 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.
Wow, that's a ton of work!!
A ton of work that is very critical, time consuming, and thankless. No one ever sees that part of things but it sure makes a big difference in the long run.

Nice progress
Bobby

Old 03-20-2019, 08:46 PM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
Thanks Bobby I Was just planning on throwing a 351C, a AOD, and a better geared 9Ē in it and cruise around a bit but things sort snowballed.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:46 PM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Harrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant future
Wow! You have been busy. That's a lot of work done.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:49 PM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
Lot of work Joe, but nothing done. Did your stuff get in for your steering gear?

Old 03-20-2019, 09:32 PM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Harrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant future
No it hasn't arrived yet. It will probably be another week or two.....I won't be able to work on it for the next week or so anyway.
But, I will have to get cracking soon. Gotta be ready for some spring and summer driving.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:03 PM
drptop70ss
Posting Guru
drptop70ss has a brilliant futuredrptop70ss has a brilliant futuredrptop70ss has a brilliant futuredrptop70ss has a brilliant futuredrptop70ss has a brilliant futuredrptop70ss has a brilliant futuredrptop70ss has a brilliant futuredrptop70ss has a brilliant futuredrptop70ss has a brilliant futuredrptop70ss has a brilliant futuredrptop70ss has a brilliant future
Cool. looking forward to the build.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:03 AM
Greg Rogers
Elder User
Greg Rogers is a name known to allGreg Rogers is a name known to allGreg Rogers is a name known to allGreg Rogers is a name known to allGreg Rogers is a name known to allGreg Rogers is a name known to all
I like that panel, BJ. You going to keep it mostly stock except for the engine/trans?

Old 03-24-2019, 01:36 PM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster

Iíd want a roof on it.

Maybe even a club cab????
Funny you should ask. Iím debating on maybe making a unibody out of it.
Iíve gotta see how bad the roof really is. In the background of the frontal picture with the springs out front is my 56 F-100 Panel that other than power train and rear barn doors and color will remain ďPanelĒ like. See my Avitar for end result.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:17 PM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
Plans do change donít they? artscott61 just pulled his entire suspension system out of his 55 F-100 truck; Springs, 400 series power steering, disk brakes, the works! So Iím going to pick that up and install it in the ole Panel. Sweet...

Old 03-26-2019, 06:05 PM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster

Old 03-26-2019, 07:16 PM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Nice, is that front end still at his place or have you done a road trip already?
That is a nice plug and play setup.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.