2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

3rd Brake Lamp Camera

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 02:55 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
3rd Brake Lamp Camera

I had to move my 5er a few days ago, I tow with a Goose Box, with the taller seats and longer bed I have a real hard time seeing the ball now.

Has anyone tried adding the OEM camera up there and made it work with the in dash Nav unit? I was wondering if it could be added through Forscan by adding the camera toggle switch.

I'm still trying to get through the Forscan thread, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me as I'm computer illiterate, in fact I haven't even had the stones to pull the trigger on the OBD II interface yet.

Sarge

Old 11-10-2017, 01:17 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
No One has tried this or think it can be done? I don't have enough know how to tackle the forscan aspect of it and Id hate to have to add another screen some where in the truck if I don't have to.

Sarge

Old 11-11-2017, 03:14 PM
slapshot12
More Turbo
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. If it isn't too expensive or too much of a pita, I'd like to add it also. Would be nice if the wiring was already in place.

Old 11-11-2017, 04:48 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I am thinking of doing this myself Sarge. I am going to bite the bullet for FOrscan OBD2 reader and do a few of the trucks that are well laid out. My plan is to eventually retrace to a 5th wheel so I will want the Cab high mount camera as well. I suggest looking up the parts list, and then discussing with the dealer what the charges would be to do the IDS work, versus yourself on Forscan. I am sure the spreadsheet of spdata will be helpful, and as I read the forum it does not look that tricky. Unfortunately I won't have personal experience for a bit to help you out, but I am sure one of the good guys on here will be able to point you in the right direction. I was talking to a service tech at my dealer when I was picking up my truck from a service and he was installing a high mount camera, the trailer TPMS, and the trailer back camera on a truck and he said it was his first one, and was only really worried about the grunt work of running all the wiring, and accessing the right areas. He said the IDS was the simplest part.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:27 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Subscribing to see if this becomes successful. The only camera I'd like to add is the front one to aid with parking. Otherwise, I'll get some aftermarket back-up sensors to mount up front.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:20 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by mhoefer
I am thinking of doing this myself Sarge. I am going to bite the bullet for FOrscan OBD2 reader and do a few of the trucks that are well laid out. My plan is to eventually retrace to a 5th wheel so I will want the Cab high mount camera as well. I suggest looking up the parts list, and then discussing with the dealer what the charges would be to do the IDS work, versus yourself on Forscan. I am sure the spreadsheet of spdata will be helpful, and as I read the forum it does not look that tricky. Unfortunately I won't have personal experience for a bit to help you out, but I am sure one of the good guys on here will be able to point you in the right direction. I was talking to a service tech at my dealer when I was picking up my truck from a service and he was installing a high mount camera, the trailer TPMS, and the trailer back camera on a truck and he said it was his first one, and was only really worried about the grunt work of running all the wiring, and accessing the right areas. He said the IDS was the simplest part.
I don't necessarily need the forscan. I have the ability to reprogram modules here at the shop, but I have to buy a subscription when I need to so I like to be able to have a few jobs in here for programming to make it worth my while. I figured maybe FORSCAN was the better way to go but I'm not very smart when it comes to that stuff.

I'm kind of hoping all the wiring is there and will just need to be enabled. I don't mind running wires and such as I will have the headliner down at some point for an antenna install, just kind of wanted a heads up to know what I was or wasn't going to run into.

Thanks,

And as I gather intel I will keep this thread going.

Sarge

Old 11-14-2017, 01:23 PM
mrgrayaz
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sub'd. Lady can't see the 5th wheel to hitch the trailer....wasn't a problem in the 2005.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:51 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
I'm glad I'm not the only 1 that cant see it. I also tow with a goose box on my 5er so that makes it 10x worse for me. I'm 6'5" I never thought Id say I couldn't see over the back seat.

Sarge

Old 11-14-2017, 06:28 PM
slapshot12
More Turbo
Does the little headrest in the middle of the backseat come out like it did on the previous SD's? I tried it once and couldn't get it. I took the one out on my '15 and that helped a little.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:44 AM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been considering this option for the cargo camera.

https://camera-source.com/automotive...Duty&year=2015

Old 11-20-2017, 10:21 AM
stewy604
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slapshot12
Does the little headrest in the middle of the backseat come out like it did on the previous SD's? I tried it once and couldn't get it. I took the one out on my '15 and that helped a little.
Yep, it comes out. As for the 3rd brake light mounted camera, I have it on my SD...works great! Not much help on the ask to add it, although I'm sure anything is possible. Does Ford make a kit?

Old 01-13-2018, 09:18 PM
IA Farmer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering if anyone came up with a solution for the CHMSL camera yet. I just took delivery of my new pickup and we have several gooseneck trailers on the farm. This camera would be fantastic to have.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:30 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 939 Likes on 578 Posts
I bought a little wireless magnet mount camera for my 5th wheel. I stick right on the 5th wheel and back up until the pin is nearly into the 5th wheel jaws. Then I get out and remove the camera. Monitor plugs into 12V accessory plug and it picks up the camera signal. Flexible, adjustable gooseneck on the monitor. No Bluetooth pairing or phone needed.
Much simpler solution and the camera can be used elsewhere if needed. I used to use it for my bumper pull trailers before I had the 2017 with backup camera built in.
Amazon Amazon

Old 01-14-2018, 09:55 AM
slapshot12
More Turbo
Originally Posted by slapshot12
Yes. It took me a few minutes, but finally figured it out. As you're facing the seat (looking at the headrest), on the right side base is the height adjustment. Move the headrest all the way up. Now go to the left side base and there is another push button that releases it to be removed.

Once I removed the little headrest, I could see the top of my Andersen hitch to get the 5er on.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:01 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
I'm still working on a solution to get the CHMSL camera to work with the in dash screen.

Sarge

Quick Reply: 3rd Brake Lamp Camera