2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

3rd Brake Lamp Camera

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 09:10 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 1956Fatfenders
Actually, I think this is the one you're referring to Sarge, for correct button selection?
Yes I believe that this is the correct switch arrangement that would be needed for my application as I don't have BLISS.

Here is the run down of what I used to make things work so far:

HC3Z-13A613-D - This is the Lamp (You wont need the other jumper between the lamp and C-pillar Harness this lamp comes with it).
HC3Z-14A411-G - This is the harness needed to go between the CHMSL and the C- Pillar connector.

At this point that is all that's needed to make the connection between the lamp and the C-Pillar, now I need to work on how to make the camera work. I think I need to add the camera switch to be able to toggle between cameras. How this is going to happen I don't know, I'm not even sure that the wire is there in the harness. If someone would be kind enough to link me to the procedure to remove the trim bezel I will take my truck apart and see if there is any extra wire there.

From what I can ascertain at this point I think it CAN be plug and play, but I'm not sure. I only say this because with the harness I bought all the wires line up between the male and female connectors, and both the stop lamp and cargo lamps work the same way that the incandescent lamp operated. I'm hoping that the wires are there and all Ill need at this point is to add the new bezel and switch.

Progress is being made, and Id like to thank '56 for all the help with connector end views and shop manual links to get me this far. My thought on the 2 modules is I think that the BLISS is a separate module from the 2 rear cameras, so I'm assuming if we can get the switch and the wiring to it is there the infotainment system will recognize the new camera? Just my thought as like you I see the 1 module mentioned in almost ever wiring diagram I have in my Mitchell software.

Sarge

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-28-2018, 09:14 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by IA Farmer
I DO have LED lights, so would I need a different harness then this one or is this the one I would also need? I only have the tailgate camera currently.
I cant confirm that right now as I haven't been able to make the camera work just yet, stay tuned I'm still working on it.

Sarge

Old 03-28-2018, 12:11 PM
1956Fatfenders
Elder User
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Sarge - I used this video when adding my Hill Descent switch to figure out how to get in there. I almost want to pull mine apart again to; 1) see if there are unused connectors, and 2) see what the Image Module looks like and what connectors it has...

Old 03-28-2018, 02:47 PM
Roly Poly
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Took at quick look at couple different truck's as-built data that have the the CHMSL camera with no 360 camera vs my truck that only has the rear and lane assist cameras. The trucks that add just CHMSL and no 360 cameras have both IPMA and IPMB modules, while my truck only has IPMA. So that clearly indicts that if you have only the rear and lane assist cameras (IPMA) that you will need to swap to the different camera module that has both IPMA and IPMB.

My understanding is the when you ordered the CHMSL you get IPMB, that also then allows you to support the trailer camera too.

Very possible that there are three different camera modules:
Lane assist + rear
CHMSL + Lane assist + rear + trailer
CHMSL + Lane assist + rear + trailer + 360

(Have not confirmed this, would have to run VIN's and check the differences.

Also the as-built is different for IPMA with the CHMSL vs a truck without. So some simple editing via Forscan is going to be required.

Maybe I missed it, but did you swap the camera module?

Roly

Old 03-29-2018, 09:19 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Roly,

I haven't gotten that far into it to swap camera modules. I'm going to take my dash apart to see if I have any extra unused wires behind my trim bezel, order a switch and go from there.

Sarge

Old 04-14-2018, 08:49 AM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have any update on adding the camera and getting it to work for them?

Old 04-16-2018, 11:55 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Sorry,

Nothing as of yet. I was hit with a pretty nasty cold and took me out of service for almost 2 weeks now. I still need to drop my headliner and get the new harness and lamp assembly installed also need to get the hole drilled for the antenna. I'm working on it I promise.

Sarge

Old 04-16-2018, 11:14 PM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Sarge261
Sorry,

Nothing as of yet. I was hit with a pretty nasty cold and took me out of service for almost 2 weeks now. I still need to drop my headliner and get the new harness and lamp assembly installed also need to get the hole drilled for the antenna. I'm working on it I promise.

Sarge
Ok no problem. Know you have the non led lights on your truck. Do you happen to know if this is possible with the Led light pkg. Rear light would just be a different part number? and im guessing the wiring may be the same?

Old 04-17-2018, 09:21 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
You would probably have to order the same harness and lamp that I did. To know for sure you need to remove the C-Pillar trim on the drivers side and see if the pigtail on the brake light side is "full" my guess is that if you don't have the camera it wont have the wires in the pig tail.

Sarge

Old 06-11-2018, 01:33 PM
Greg McMahon
Junior User
Originally Posted by Sarge261
You would probably have to order the same harness and lamp that I did. To know for sure you need to remove the C-Pillar trim on the drivers side and see if the pigtail on the brake light side is "full" my guess is that if you don't have the camera it wont have the wires in the pig tail.

Sarge
Hey there, I've been traveling for a few months. Any progress on this project?

Old 06-11-2018, 06:46 PM
chipssuperduty
Junior User
I appreciate all the risk and legwork all you guys are putting into this. I have a 17 XLT Premium with factory tailgate cam, no LED or bliss and I was wondering if adding the factory chmsl was possible. I am very interested in your progress. I would think it is possible. I have seen XLT's with the high mounted camera setup but not sure what other options was on them.I need to check into pulling off the c pillar trim and look at my connection to see what wires are there.
Keep us posted as you learn more (with pics) and good luck. Thanks Sarge, 56, and all others for contributing and pressing on.
chip

Old 06-12-2018, 01:47 PM
Cruizin
New User
I too have the 17 XLT Premium without the added bling but tailgate camera. Would like to add the CHMSL cam. Following intently. Good Luck.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:05 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
No Updates as of yet. I haven't had much time to work on my own stuff Im too busy with work. I do need to order some more parts, I need the radio trim bezzle and switches so I can add the camera selection switch. Its noit dead, just on hold for right now.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:30 PM
chipssuperduty
Junior User
What is the trick to pop of the C-pillar trim. I cannot find any info on how to remove it to check the wiring harness going up to the 3rd light. Tried a few times but not sure if is to be pulled into the door opening or towards the inside of truck. Either the clips are really tight or I am going wrong direction. I do not want to break them off.
Going to keep trying as I get time. Appreciate any guidance.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:59 PM
1956Fatfenders
Elder User
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by chipssuperduty
What is the trick to pop of the C-pillar trim. I cannot find any info on how to remove it to check the wiring harness going up to the 3rd light. Tried a few times but not sure if is to be pulled into the door opening or towards the inside of truck. Either the clips are really tight or I am going wrong direction. I do not want to break them off.
Going to keep trying as I get time. Appreciate any guidance.
I just reached around the back side of it, and the top edge and gave it a yank toward the center of the back seat. Yes, its tight.

Quick Reply: 3rd Brake Lamp Camera