Sponsored by: DP Tuner

HELP MEH!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 10:27 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Originally Posted by Csanford
This is my first time posting on a forum so i apologize for my ignorance. That being said I have a 1997 F350 with a 7.3L Diesel. It had a skip sometime back so we scanned it and found that we had a few bad injectors. Ordered 8 new injectors from pensicola injection and they basically all turned out to be junk. So we replaced 4 of them with factory ford injectors. Now to where we are now, we have replaced the injectors and know that all 8 injectors are firing. We did a buzz test and all 8 buzzed. We recently rebuilt the engine due to the fact that we were getting oil out of the exhaust. But now it will crank but not start. ICP shows that we have 3000+ PSI of injection pressure, IPR shows to be at 50%, Fuel pressure at filter base is 30-40 PSI. There is diesel smoke coming from the exhaust will cranking over so i know that my inj. are firing. OH also, the IPW shows to be correct. We have replaced the IDM, ICP, All 8 Injectors, new heads, new pistons and rings, new rod and main bearings, new low pressure oil pump.HPOP is original and seems to be working correctly. All mechanical signs seem to be pointing to an electrical issue but i have reached the end of my knowledge and I need help. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!!!
Csanford, welcome to the FTE! You might have better luck posting your question in the link below which is more specific to your year of truck.

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Old 09-22-2016, 10:39 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by P4IN COMM4NDO

I did get it running guys!

Old 09-22-2016, 06:13 PM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Yay!!!!! Finally!! Kudos on the persistence, I am so glad it finally came back to life for you! Awesome.....

Old 09-22-2016, 09:18 PM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Haha xD

Originally Posted by Rikster-7700
Yay!!!!! Finally!! Kudos on the persistence, I am so glad it finally came back to life for you! Awesome.....
Thanks man! I am happy too! Kudos accepted

Old 09-23-2016, 09:13 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Good Job! You stuck with it and now you get to enjoy your victory by taking it on the road.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:15 PM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tugly
Good Job! You stuck with it and now you get to enjoy your victory by taking it on the road.
Thanks! Yeah its great, forgot how much I love this truck!

Old 10-07-2016, 01:43 PM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
I have an oil leak somewhere. . . checked the oil today and it was barely on the dipstick (havent driven it in a week) Not sure where its coming from. I pray that it isnt the oil pan seals. . . Ive seen those are a pain to get at. Havent had a chance to look for it yet, Ill check the HPOP but I kinda doubt that is whats leaking. Anyhow. . .

Old 10-07-2016, 05:36 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Check the oil cooler on the drivers side of the engine. When temperatures drop and the truck leaks oil, the oil cooler is the primary suspect.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:55 PM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
Originally Posted by Sous
Check the oil cooler on the drivers side of the engine. When temperatures drop and the truck leaks oil, the oil cooler is the primary suspect.
Ill give that a look, hasnt gotten terribly cold here. Maybe 40 degrees at night 60 during the day.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:46 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
That is enough to make the o-rings shrink and leak oil out. A good friend of mine here in GA has a 2003 F-350 and for the "winter" months he has to either plug in his block heater or fill it with about a quart of oil every couple of days.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:28 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
If there's no oil reaching the ground and you're down a few quarts - then O-ring seals on the injectors are highly suspect. The turbo bushing doesn't escape scrutiny for this.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:08 AM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
Well its definitely dripping, filled it with oil yesterday, by today there was maybe 1/4 inch showing up on the dipstick. Filled it again and drove to get the tires put on (Which are awesome just btw), had to add some after that. Drove like 30 miles to another town (probably not the best idea seeing as how Im leaking diesel, oil, and my rear diff seal is going out. . . but I made it ) Had to dump one of those Rotella jugs in, I forget how much is in those. Then it sat for a few hours, back to 1/4 on the dipstick. Yet another jug of oil. . . anyways got it home Im gonna redo the diff tomorrow hopefully. I need to get the return fuel line replaced, but the dealer want so much cash to get new ones. . . I may try a junkyard, IDK. Do I even need that line? Can I just cap it off??? When I was getting tires is when I noticed how bad it was leaking, they had it up on the lift and it was dripping about every 24 seconds about. The guy said he looked under there and thought it was coming from the valve covers? I did have them off a few months ago to do the wiring harnesses, maybe I didnt get them sealed good enough? But would it leak from there if it wasnt running? Its kind of collecting on the oil pan, I wiped the bottom clean this morning and its really wet now. Maybe its the oil rails? I havent had a chance to check any of this out yet. I love FORDs, get done with one project, right onto the next. . .

Old 10-09-2016, 07:19 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by P4IN COMM4NDO
Well its definitely dripping, filled it with oil yesterday, by today there was maybe 1/4 inch showing up on the dipstick. Filled it again and drove to get the tires put on (Which are awesome just btw), had to add some after that. Drove like 30 miles to another town (probably not the best idea seeing as how Im leaking diesel, oil, and my rear diff seal is going out. . . but I made it ) Had to dump one of those Rotella jugs in, I forget how much is in those. Then it sat for a few hours, back to 1/4 on the dipstick. Yet another jug of oil. . . anyways got it home Im gonna redo the diff tomorrow hopefully. I need to get the return fuel line replaced, but the dealer want so much cash to get new ones. . . I may try a junkyard, IDK. Do I even need that line? Can I just cap it off??? When I was getting tires is when I noticed how bad it was leaking, they had it up on the lift and it was dripping about every 24 seconds about. The guy said he looked under there and thought it was coming from the valve covers? I did have them off a few months ago to do the wiring harnesses, maybe I didnt get them sealed good enough? But would it leak from there if it wasnt running? Its kind of collecting on the oil pan, I wiped the bottom clean this morning and its really wet now. Maybe its the oil rails? I havent had a chance to check any of this out yet. I love FORDs, get done with one project, right onto the next. . .
#1 if that is your sole and/or primary source of your oil loss that's not 'leaking' out, it's 'pouring' out. Is it leaking up top into the valley and dripping down the back through the drain hole? If I was you that would be my first order of business. You will need to get the whole top end cleaned up so you can see where the stuff is gushing from. One successful method for cleaning the engine bay up is to spray Simple Green all over it, let soak for 15 mins or so and rinse with water shower, not hard spray. Repeat as necessary. It is recommended that you cover the alt and power steering reservoir with plastic bags to prevent problems with them. The start it up for a short and climb up there and see what you can find. Valve covers do not seem to be a big leaking point with this motor.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:19 PM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
I will pick up some "Simple Green" today if I can find a store that has it.

So, Ive noticed it wont completely drain all the oil. It always seems to go down to about the same level. . . I dont think its the valve covers, because when I finished the wiring harnesses and put it all back together, I remember it had leaked to the same point it is now. I had to fill it up after I was finished. I really, really, really hope its nothing to do with the oil pan/seal, as I dont have a good setup to pull the engine, nor do I want to. . .

Where should I be checking the turbo for oil? Since I have found its making it to the ground I kinda doubt this is the culprit. Also, when I had all the inter cooler stuff out a few months ago there was no trace of oil in that system.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:29 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Everywhere in the valley is a suspect for an oil leak... Turbo pedestal, turbo base to pedestal, EBPV, IPR, head o-rings, HPOP lines, etc...

Quick Reply: HELP MEH!