Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

HELP MEH!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 04:43 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Always pull tuner first to remove it from the equation.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:51 PM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Always pull tuner first to remove it from the equation.
OK. I kinda forgot it was there haha. Anyways pulled that off and made sure PCM was back to stock setting. Still no start.

Called Clay at Riffraff and he said to pull the HPOP and put my thumb over the intake and turn the gear. He said if I dont feel suction on my thumb that the HPOP is bad and needs to be sent back to Terminator. If I do feel suction, that means the HPOP is fine, and that I still havent found my problem. . . oh joy

Old 09-21-2016, 08:41 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,443 Likes on 2,841 Posts
Well, on the positive side at least you know what your next step is. Also, those of us that will one day order a HPOP from Terminator, we know to check for suction on the intake before installing it.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:33 PM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
Originally Posted by Sous
Well, on the positive side at least you know what your next step is. Also, those of us that will one day order a HPOP from Terminator, we know to check for suction on the intake before installing it.
Yep! Got it all pulled out, in the dark, that was fun. Yeah, I did all the leg work for you guys xD.

Still need to test the suction, but I believe I found the issue.

That space is with the 2 smaller bolts out, and the drive bolt still torqued down. I guess I didnt have the gears meshed correctly? Makes sense if the pump isnt moving oil then injectors dont fire right? Also, Ive heard mixed opinions on the little spring check valves, are you guys fer em or agin em? I currently have them installed.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:45 PM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Correct, if the gears aren't aligned then the pump will not pump!

Old 09-21-2016, 10:01 PM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
Originally Posted by Rikster-7700
Correct, if the gears aren't aligned then the pump will not pump!
Yeah, pretty much doing the worlds largest *Facepalm* right about now.

Just tested it, the suction is fine. Thinking I will go ahead and make a YT video so everybody else can see how to test it, not that its that complicated.

I will plan on getting up early and putting it in tomorrow before I need to leave, and we will see what we get!

Time for some opinions, I have a TS 6 Pos chip (1. stock 2. high idle 3.+50hp 4.+75hp 5.+100hp 6.+140hp) I also have a DiabloSport Predator Flash tuner (Towing tune, +80hp, and +110hp) Does it make a difference which one I use? Or will they both work about the same? I kind of like having the ability to switch my tunes on the fly, especially with winter coming up I want to be able to high idle the engine and get it warmed up faster. But I wasnt sure if DiabloSport tunes work better? Im just asking before I pull the PCM and re install the T6, if I get it going tomorrow I probably wont have time for all that so Ill just put the DiabloSport +80hp flash tune on there.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:19 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
It is clear to me that the problem is the pump itself. I have an extra one in the garage that I can trade you for it.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:24 AM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
It is clear to me that the problem is the pump itself. I have an extra one in the garage that I can trade you for it.
Sounds reasonable, you paypal me $450 plus shipping for both pumps and we got a. . . WAIT A MINUTE! Get outa here!

Old 09-22-2016, 07:32 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by P4IN COMM4NDO
...Just out of curiosity, what would you have done differently?....
It's not so much what I would have done, but what I did. Before I made a move on the many woes with my truck (including before the chip), I wanted to know what was going on in there - to have the ability to put it on the computer like the dealership does. At the time, AutoEnginuity was the least expensive option to do all it was capable of. Today, FORScan is the weapon of choice.

You talked about it costing $105 to put the truck on the computer one time, and that includes an hour and a half round trip. I can walk out to my truck, turn the key, and be on the computer in seconds.

The dealer won't give you the before and after performance of the HPOP for that $105 and 1.5-hour drive, nor will that single read tell you what's going on the next time you have an issue.

I keep pointing to the OBDII tools link in my signature for a reason - $30 for a decent OBDII adapter and a cheap (or free) download of an app to a portable device (iOS changes the math) and you have your very own vehicle computer that can not only see why the truck won't start, but log why it won't - and you can share it with some log readers here on the forum. The instructions in that last link in my signature tell you what to look for with an OBDII tool. With my FORScan, Torque Pro, Dash Command, AE, or a few other apps - I can quickly spot why a 7.3L won't start, using that last link as my guide (which I have memorized now).

Now... as to why the T500 is sitting in your truck - tell me if this sounds familiar: The chipped performance was a bit weak with high RPMs, there's a lot of soot out the pipe, EGTs are hot, the codes said you had ICP problems, and you were advised to get the T500 to resolve it all. If this is the case, $40 for OBDII hardware/software and sharing a log on the forum would have likely told you the problem - before spending $500 on a T500.

Ready - Get OBDII tools.
Aim - Share the log on the forum and get input.
Fire - Likely change the tune... or maybe the injector O-rings.

For more on this - you can click the Custom Tunes link in my signature.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:40 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Well, is it alive?

Old 09-22-2016, 08:33 AM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tugly
It's not so much what I would have done, but what I did. Before I made a move on the many woes with my truck (including before the chip), I wanted to know what was going on in there - to have the ability to put it on the computer like the dealership does. At the time, AutoEnginuity was the least expensive option to do all it was capable of. Today, FORScan is the weapon of choice.

You talked about it costing $105 to put the truck on the computer one time, and that includes an hour and a half round trip. I can walk out to my truck, turn the key, and be on the computer in seconds.

The dealer won't give you the before and after performance of the HPOP for that $105 and 1.5-hour drive, nor will that single read tell you what's going on the next time you have an issue.

I keep pointing to the OBDII tools link in my signature for a reason - $30 for a decent OBDII adapter and a cheap (or free) download of an app to a portable device (iOS changes the math) and you have your very own vehicle computer that can not only see why the truck won't start, but log why it won't - and you can share it with some log readers here on the forum. The instructions in that last link in my signature tell you what to look for with an OBDII tool. With my FORScan, Torque Pro, Dash Command, AE, or a few other apps - I can quickly spot why a 7.3L won't start, using that last link as my guide (which I have memorized now).

Now... as to why the T500 is sitting in your truck - tell me if this sounds familiar: The chipped performance was a bit weak with high RPMs, there's a lot of soot out the pipe, EGTs are hot, the codes said you had ICP problems, and you were advised to get the T500 to resolve it all. If this is the case, $40 for OBDII hardware/software and sharing a log on the forum would have likely told you the problem - before spending $500 on a T500.

Ready - Get OBDII tools.
Aim - Share the log on the forum and get input.
Fire - Likely change the tune... or maybe the injector O-rings.

For more on this - you can click the Custom Tunes link in my signature.

OK thanks. Actually just discovered a few days ago I have monitoring capabilities. . . As far as why I got a T500, pump was still factory original at over 314 thousand miles. It also blew a rear plug when I started it after replacing the CSP sensor. I made an attempt to repair the pump myself, but after working on it for 2 weeks I realized that I wasnt getting anywhere, so I did some research over a weekend and decided T500 was my best option.

Now that I know Im able to log data I will be sure to post that first if any issues shall arise.

Originally Posted by Sous
Well, is it alive?
Got everything back in, took my time on the pump install. My batteries were at 40% so I cranked it until they got down to 10% and they are charging up now.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:36 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Got everything back in, took my time on the pump install. My batteries were at 40% so I cranked it until they got down to 10% and they are charging up now.
When re-installing the pump, did you notice that it clicked into place or meshed with the drive gear this time where you didn't last time?

Old 09-22-2016, 09:11 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
...As far as why I got a T500, pump was still factory original at over 314 thousand miles. It also blew a rear plug when I started it after replacing the CSP sensor....
Completely justified replacement and excellent choice. Many people with chips replace the HPOP because of issues the tuning alone may create, so I asked.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:19 AM
Csanford
New User
This is my first time posting on a forum so i apologize for my ignorance. That being said I have a 1997 F350 with a 7.3L Diesel. It had a skip sometime back so we scanned it and found that we had a few bad injectors. Ordered 8 new injectors from pensicola injection and they basically all turned out to be junk. So we replaced 4 of them with factory ford injectors. Now to where we are now, we have replaced the injectors and know that all 8 injectors are firing. We did a buzz test and all 8 buzzed. We recently rebuilt the engine due to the fact that we were getting oil out of the exhaust. But now it will crank but not start. ICP shows that we have 3000+ PSI of injection pressure, IPR shows to be at 50%, Fuel pressure at filter base is 30-40 PSI. There is diesel smoke coming from the exhaust will cranking over so i know that my inj. are firing. OH also, the IPW shows to be correct. We have replaced the IDM, ICP, All 8 Injectors, new heads, new pistons and rings, new rod and main bearings, new low pressure oil pump.HPOP is original and seems to be working correctly. All mechanical signs seem to be pointing to an electrical issue but i have reached the end of my knowledge and I need help. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 09-22-2016, 10:03 AM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tugly
Completely justified replacement and excellent choice. Many people with chips replace the HPOP because of issues the tuning alone may create, so I asked.
Glad to hear so many people saying good things about the T500 haha.

I did get it running guys! Musta been that drive gear. Anyhow, thank you to everyone who chimed in and helped me track down this issue. The whole time I was working on it, I kept saying to myself, "Its something stupid." Yeah pretty much. . .

Ive been able to learn a lot about diagnosing and gained a lot of general engine knowledge. As well as getting really fast at taking out the fuel bowl and pump. . .

Hopefully this thread will help someone down the road and someone can benefit from my n00bness.

Quick Reply: HELP MEH!