1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Build Thread: '49 F321

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 07:05 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Ok I might get beat up on this one, but I couldn't tear up a good Ford so I bought this for a little mudding...I mean winter transportation...

Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2014, 07:12 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
ok so I also bought an older popup camper...no pics of it though..

Here is some truck progress...again I don't like wiring...

Attached Images     
Old 01-06-2014, 07:16 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
This is just a power steering line repair for mock up and to use as reference for a new line.
It's the Jag high pressure line mated to the Ford Explorer 5.0 high pressure line.
I WILL NOT be attempting to drive with this line.

Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2014, 07:21 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is good to see you back at it! I also had too much work to touch my truck almost all summer, fall, and until now. I am finally slowing down enough to get back to it. I am not the biggest fan of wiring either, and especially not with the EFI that you have. I did that years ago on a 50 Ford sedan that I installed an EFI 5.0L and AOD into. I paid something like $600 for a wiring harness that was built for me. And I still didn't like it... But it did work!

Old 01-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by topmoo
It is good to see you back at it! I also had too much work to touch my truck almost all summer, fall, and until now. I am finally slowing down enough to get back to it. I am not the biggest fan of wiring either, and especially not with the EFI that you have. I did that years ago on a 50 Ford sedan that I installed an EFI 5.0L and AOD into. I paid something like $600 for a wiring harness that was built for me. And I still didn't like it... But it did work!
Even though I couldn't see spending $600 for some rubber coated copper, Topper I'm sure it would work out in my favor. But I am learning so I will push ahead.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:09 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Even though I couldn't see spending $600 for some rubber coated copper, Topper I'm sure it would work out in my favor. But I am learning so I will push ahead.
Yes, I wouldn't do it either anymore. But I had no idea what to do back then and didn't have this forum for help.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:13 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,790 Likes on 1,824 Posts
Jeff,

I'm glad that you've been able to spend some time on the truck for a change. Things are looking good.

For that power steering hose, you could swing by any hydraulic shop and they should be able to put crimp fittings on there and/or install a correct length rubber line without too much hassle.

As for the wiring....just take it a step at a time and try not to get frustrated....you'll get it figured out

Keep at it
Bobby

Old 01-06-2014, 08:17 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by topmoo
Yes, I wouldn't do it either anymore. But I had no idea what to do back then and didn't have this forum for help.
This little internet spot is pretty dang helpful!

Somebody remind me to just buy a completed project next time...

Old 01-06-2014, 08:27 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Jeff,

I'm glad that you've been able to spend some time on the truck for a change. Things are looking good.

For that power steering hose, you could swing by any hydraulic shop and they should be able to put crimp fittings on there and/or install a correct length rubber line without too much hassle.

As for the wiring....just take it a step at a time and try not to get frustrated....you'll get it figured out

Keep at it
Bobby
Hi there Bobby! I stopped by the local hydraulic shop and they will build me a new line for $60 ish..But I wanted to wait until I am sure of the perfect length.
Yes the wiring will fall into place eventually, I just gotta find the patience!

I took this truck apart in like 10 days...will it be back together in ten years???
It's been almost 4 years already!!!

Old 01-06-2014, 08:28 PM
DougofMontana
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Jeff, I have a brand new never opened double flare kit I'd send you gratis if you are interested, send me a PM. Love the look of those fenders!!

Old 01-06-2014, 08:47 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by DougofMontana
Hi Jeff, I have a brand new never opened double flare kit I'd send you gratis if you are interested, send me a PM. Love the look of those fenders!!
Doug, Thank you for the offer my friend! If you are talking about the "pinch bar and clamp" type, I have two sets of those and I don't like either of mine.
The newer one was a craftsman thinking it would be good...not worth a hoot for steel line. I have tried many approaches and my opinion is....you get what you pay for...

line slips in the bar and the flares don't always come out perfectly centered.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:53 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
This is what would nice to have.

Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2014, 08:56 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jeff I took both my 5.0 line and the jag line to the shop and they put the 5.0 connector on the pump end and the jag on the rack end. I used the jag valve in the ford pump. Cost about 75 and works very well

Old 01-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 49f3dls
Jeff I took both my 5.0 line and the jag line to the shop and they put the 5.0 connector on the pump end and the jag on the rack end. I used the jag valve in the ford pump. Cost about 75 and works very well
Dave since we last discussed the Jag vs Ford vs Saginaw pump issue, I used the complete front accessory setup of the donor Explorer. I don't even know where I am with that now! I'm not sure who makes this pump..I will need to find out eventually though!
Thanks Buddy!

Old 01-06-2014, 09:11 PM
DougofMontana
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Jeff, yes what I have is the pinch bar setup. When I started doing my build, I KNEW I had an old kit but could not find it, so bought a new one.. yepp you guessed it, I found the old one about 3 days after buying the new one. My old one is a Snap-On one from the 70's and works like a charm on steel lines. Keep doing great work on your truck!

Quick Reply: Build Thread: '49 F321