1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Build Thread: '49 F321

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 08:07 AM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In my own personal experience practice does not make me perfect but it does make me thirsty .

Old 03-31-2013, 09:47 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by oldmerc
In my own personal experience practice does not make me perfect but it does make me thirsty .
I second that.
I ground off the welds and smoothed it down. then sprayed a light coat of primer to see what I have got here....not so great...I will continue to work on it, but I am still not convinced that fiberglass repro's are not in my future.
The pictures make it look great, but the fenders have a slight curve from top to bottom and my patch panel does not. So I will have to think about what I can do to fix that. I can feel the difference. I will just have to work with it and see what I can do. I can use filler to make it work, but I don't want to at this point.
I will just have to think a bit...maybe put it aside for now. I got alot of other thing to do.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:31 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jeff I am sure you are your own worst critic as most of us are it looks good and depending if it is a daily driver or a show rig would make a big difference. It is a good idea to take a step back. Don't be discouraged it looks like you have done a good job.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:39 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 49f3dls
Jeff I am sure you are your own worst critic as most of us are it looks good and depending if it is a daily driver or a show rig would make a big difference. It is a good idea to take a step back. Don't be discouraged it looks like you have done a good job.
Thanks Dave, You are right. I am my own worst critic! But that is just my personality. I will play with these and learn. I don't need perfect, but I prefer to be close. I will say, I don't have a problem with using fiberglass fenders. It's just the big price tag...
I really want to focus on getting it running this year. The fenderwork is just something to do when it was cold out. No loss at all, but just exposing the experience of trial and error!

Old 04-23-2013, 12:36 AM
Nifty Fifty
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeff, i've been watching this fte site for a number of years picking up ideas seeing what others have done. And I started picking away at my 1950 f1. I just found your build on fte yesterday! I'm amazed at what you've done and dumfounded to see how parallel our paths are. I was going to restore for a daily driver but soon determined that the original parts weren't going to work in dad to day driving. I pulled the flatty 6 and got a ford 360 from a '72 f-250, got a 2002 ford ranger 8.8, 3:73 gears, made a drive shaft from a toyota donor, and placed an '85 series 3 xj6 IFS. Took about 4-6 hrs to line up and weld in the whole IFS. Easiest swap I ever did. Ive got 15x8 weels in front and 15x10 in the back. Looks & sits real nice. Just goes to show how valuable this site can be to a nubee if you've got the guts to cut it and move ahead and just do it. You've been a big help to me on this thread. Thanks and keep up the good work. By the way I bought a Flaming River Stainless steering column and connected the steering shaft w/two universals & plenty of clearance for the 360 exhaust. Fabbed the motor mounts as the motor was being positioned for angle and pan clearance. Pan clears the IFS platform by about 1/2 inch. It's like all these parts were meant to be together.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:56 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Nifty? Right on. Good job.
lets see some pics. Don't tease us bud?

Maybe start yer own build thread?

Could we see some pictures? Here is how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal

Welcome to FTE, Best Damn Forum EVER!
------------------------
Here's How to Post Pictures:
1. Login to FTE.
2.Click User CP (In the Top Left Hand Corner)
3.(On the Left, There will be a list, The 5th Option Down, will say "Pictures & Albums) Click That.
4.Then, Click Add Album, Enter a title, and description, if ya want to.
5. Click Upload Pictures, Then click Browse, Locate the Files of your truck. (You can add 3 files at a time)
5. Click Upload.
6. Add a description to the individual pictures, then click save.
7. Add more files if ya want.
8. Click The Picture you want to post, it will give you two codes at the bottom, Right Click The Second one (It say's BB Code, Then Say's [IMG]http:blahblahblah...[/IMG])
Then, Once that is highlighted, Right Click, Then Copy, Then Paste it into your post.
You can add up to 30 Images in one FTE Post.
If, Ya need any help, Don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dan

You can also go to the "Garage" tab and start an album right here on FTE. After you post pictures to an album, we can look in your album, but you'll also be able to "insert a picture" by pasting in a link to the picture in your album.

It seems awkward, but whenever you "insert a picture" to one of these threads, the forum is looking for the picture somewhere on the web (which is always available) rather than from somewhere on your hard drive (which isn't always available).

Quote:
Originally Posted By Jolly Roger Joe

Welcome to FTE!

Go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and sign up for a free account. Then create an album for your truck. Upload any pics you want to post on FTE to that album. Have this album open on your computer when you want to post pics on FTE.

While you're making a post on FTE, select the pic you want to post from your Photobucket album. When the large version of the pic is open, right mouse click on it and select "View Image Info". The image info will be highlighted and will look something like this:
The best photos and videos | Photobucket

Copy that highlighted info (right click / copy).

When you have the spot in your post where you want the pic to be placed, select the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the post (looks like a mountain) and paste (right click / paste) the image info you copied in the highlighted box (just shows "http://" when it opens).

Your pic will be placed in the post.

Hope that helps.

Here's a tutorial Bob put together: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/67...-pictures.html

Old 04-23-2013, 02:03 AM
Nifty Fifty
New User
hey arctic, thanks for the info. I'LL try again as soon as i can.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Nifty Fifty
Jeff, i've been watching this fte site for a number of years picking up ideas seeing what others have done. And I started picking away at my 1950 f1. I just found your build on fte yesterday! I'm amazed at what you've done and dumfounded to see how parallel our paths are. I was going to restore for a daily driver but soon determined that the original parts weren't going to work in dad to day driving. I pulled the flatty 6 and got a ford 360 from a '72 f-250, got a 2002 ford ranger 8.8, 3:73 gears, made a drive shaft from a toyota donor, and placed an '85 series 3 xj6 IFS. Took about 4-6 hrs to line up and weld in the whole IFS. Easiest swap I ever did. Ive got 15x8 weels in front and 15x10 in the back. Looks & sits real nice. Just goes to show how valuable this site can be to a nubee if you've got the guts to cut it and move ahead and just do it. You've been a big help to me on this thread. Thanks and keep up the good work. By the way I bought a Flaming River Stainless steering column and connected the steering shaft w/two universals & plenty of clearance for the 360 exhaust. Fabbed the motor mounts as the motor was being positioned for angle and pan clearance. Pan clears the IFS platform by about 1/2 inch.
It's like all these parts were meant to be
together.
Nifty Fifty, thats awesome! I am on my phone without a computer for a couple days and will say more when i get my computer back....ugh

Old 05-20-2013, 08:04 PM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great Thread, expected nothing less after meeting you and your family...

KEEP UP THE FIGHT, hopefully the weekend was the push you needed, I could tell your family was behind you.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:55 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 52 Ford F1
Great Thread, expected nothing less after meeting you and your family...

KEEP UP THE FIGHT, hopefully the weekend was the push you needed, I could tell your family was behind you.
Thanks Andrew! I am glad you are onboard! This forum is not just about trucks.
It's about the people here. I am really glad I am part of this! Also I will be watching your build! I really just need to clear out everything in the garage, besides the truck, and then I can start focusing. The three day weekend coming up will be productive. IT'S GO TIME.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:59 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
J and N, was great finally getting to meet the two of you but I have this growing thought still in my mind and I still can't figure out what in the hell were you two doing, Homade was starting to blush (getting a little redish-orange around the wheels)if you know what I mean. WOW what a great time at Robs, good fun, good food, great people, Garry Oh and old ford trucks ofcourse.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by homade
J and N, was great finally getting to meet the two of you but I have this growing thought still in my mind and I still can't figure out what in the hell were you two doing, Homade was starting to blush (getting a little redish-orange around the wheels)if you know what I mean. WOW what a great time at Robs, good fun, good food, great people, Garry Oh and old ford trucks ofcourse.
Garry, now you know why Homade was gone so long!

Old 05-21-2013, 06:46 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
True love is nothing to be ashamed of! homade knows how we feel now! lol!!!

Old 05-21-2013, 09:15 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeff, you are a sick man my friend.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:37 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Jeff, you are a sick man my friend.
Lol ! I have been called worse! lol